Why is it, we're still going back and forth

BigDaddy

Whether the defensive problems we have are coaching problems or player problems? The true answer is, we all know it's both. We could not possibly be this bad and that far removed from what we were as a defense to what we see on the field now. Only a moron (Lovie Smith) could defend the scheme we are seeing. My guess is, Babich is trying to tweak the base 4-3 but doesn't have the knowledge and my fear is, Lovie Smith does not possess it either. It's no secret that Rivera tweaked this scheme when he was here. HE learned from the best in the business, Johnson in Philly. He took what we had, the scheme and then each week, tweaked it for whoever we were playing to maximize the pressure. His results a #1 rated defense alot of the year until Brown and Harris went down to injury but a top 5 finish overall. Why Lovie launched him to bring in Babich is something we'll never know but most in the media would agree that Rivera wanted to run the defense the way he saw fit and Lovie wanted it his way. Big mistake so we can can make an assumption based on that info that bad coaching is a problem here.

After listening to Warren Sapp on the score, I had to come to grips with the fact that it's not just coaching but these players are NOT performing. They've admitted it, said it's on them, the scheme is fine, they just need to execute. They've done everything but improve. But this too points to bad coaching. How in the world canm you continually allow a defensive line to be so bad for so long without doing something? I mean, we've got a road grater in Adams who looked good last year as did Toeinga but we haven't seen thenm this year. Why? Sapp said it looks like everybody on that defensive line is waiting for Tommie to make a play. If that's true, you mean we have coaches who can't see it? What are they doing? Dvoracek looks lost and unable to do much, just like everyone else on that line but why have we gotten to this point in the season with this group without any changes. Same thing could be said for our offense, I mean, we draft Bennett and he can't get on the field? Why? Booker is bad, Hester is nothing, davis is getting it done, lloyds vagina is still hurt, yet we never see Bennett. I'll stick to the defense since thats the reason for this thread but there is a pattern here and it's existed ever since Lovie Smith has been the coach. Guys have been on this roster for years and not seen the field yet they go elsewhere and produce.

Urlacher has been lining up out of position all year long. No wonder he can't make a play, he's never where is supposed to be because they have him shuffling up and back off the line. let they guy play the middle like it's supposed to be played. He had an INT last week when they let him do that. Why did it take this staff so long to figure that out? Look, we need this d line to man up and get the job done. If that means we sit Harris, Dusty, Wale, so be it. But here we are, another season fading away and escaping us because we didn't know, or we didn't act earlier and now, after 10 weeks, we see and here Adams name mentioned. That, my friends is coaching and it's also executive management or lack thereof. Angelo should have insisted that Smith make changes sooner if he saw that Smith was waiting too long but he probably didn't know either. I mentioned in an earlier thread that we should have reached out to Warren Sapp at some point to see what he thought about this line and why they weren't getting pressure. We all heard his comments on the score but would you think that a resourceful head coach might have thought about that either in preseason when we saw they were getting killed but they all told us, it was a vanilla scheme used for preseason that they knew was a lie or certainly after about week 6.

So my opinion is, it's coaching and Angelo first and foremost and it's the players second. The players can be fixed, but unfortunately, if we believe the line on the Mccaskeys not making coaching changes with so much money invested, then we just don't have the guys to fix this mess. Boy, I can hardly wait till next season.

Whether the defensive problems we have are coaching problems or player problems? The true answer is, we all know it's both. We could not possibly be this bad and that far removed from what we were as a defense to what we see on the field now. Only a moron (Lovie Smith) could defend the scheme we are seeing. My guess is, Babich is trying to tweak the base 4-3 but doesn't have the knowledge and my fear is, Lovie Smith does not possess it either. It's no secret that Rivera tweaked this scheme when he was here. HE learned from the best in the business, Johnson in Philly. He took what we had, the scheme and then each week, tweaked it for whoever we were playing to maximize the pressure. His results a #1 rated defense alot of the year until Brown and Harris went down to injury but a top 5 finish overall. Why Lovie launched him to bring in Babich is something we'll never know but most in the media would agree that Rivera wanted to run the defense the way he saw fit and Lovie wanted it his way. Big mistake so we can can make an assumption based on that info that bad coaching is a problem here.

After listening to Warren Sapp on the score, I had to come to grips with the fact that it's not just coaching but these players are NOT performing. They've admitted it, said it's on them, the scheme is fine, they just need to execute. They've done everything but improve. But this too points to bad coaching. How in the world canm you continually allow a defensive line to be so bad for so long without doing something? I mean, we've got a road grater in Adams who looked good last year as did Toeinga but we haven't seen thenm this year. Why? Sapp said it looks like everybody on that defensive line is waiting for Tommie to make a play. If that's true, you mean we have coaches who can't see it? What are they doing? Dvoracek looks lost and unable to do much, just like everyone else on that line but why have we gotten to this point in the season with this group without any changes. Same thing could be said for our offense, I mean, we draft Bennett and he can't get on the field? Why? Booker is bad, Hester is nothing, davis is getting it done, lloyds vagina is still hurt, yet we never see Bennett. I'll stick to the defense since thats the reason for this thread but there is a pattern here and it's existed ever since Lovie Smith has been the coach. Guys have been on this roster for years and not seen the field yet they go elsewhere and produce.

Urlacher has been lining up out of position all year long. No wonder he can't make a play, he's never where is supposed to be because they have him shuffling up and back off the line. let they guy play the middle like it's supposed to be played. He had an INT last week when they let him do that. Why did it take this staff so long to figure that out? Look, we need this d line to man up and get the job done. If that means we sit Harris, Dusty, Wale, so be it. But here we are, another season fading away and escaping us because we didn't know, or we didn't act earlier and now, after 10 weeks, we see and here Adams name mentioned. That, my friends is coaching and it's also executive management or lack thereof. Angelo should have insisted that Smith make changes sooner if he saw that Smith was waiting too long but he probably didn't know either. I mentioned in an earlier thread that we should have reached out to Warren Sapp at some point to see what he thought about this line and why they weren't getting pressure. We all heard his comments on the score but would you think that a resourceful head coach might have thought about that either in preseason when we saw they were getting killed but they all told us, it was a vanilla scheme used for preseason that they knew was a lie or certainly after about week 6.

So my opinion is, it's coaching and Angelo first and foremost and it's the players second. The players can be fixed, but unfortunately, if we believe the line on the Mccaskeys not making coaching changes with so much money invested, then we just don't have the guys to fix this mess. Boy, I can hardly wait till next season.

I believe Rivera's contract was up and they did not resign him. Lovie had gained alot of power from going to the SB and decided to flex his muscles. If I remember this correctly, Lovie originally wanted Marinelli as his D Coordinator but Tampa would not let him go. He then wanted Babich but Angelo said he wanted someone with more experience so they settled on Rivera. After the SB, Lovie decided to promote Babich and let Lovie go. Ultimately, this was a huge mistake as we can see Lovie needed someone

with a differing view running the defense. Rivera, as you said, was able to take Lovie's system and tweek it successfully. Babich hasn't a clue.

Peace :dabears

All you have to do is look at a team like miami or the falcons. No one thought they were going to be successful this year with thier players, but coaching has led both to a pretty successful season.

I won't speak for the Falcons since I don't follow them as closely, but the difference in Miami has been bringing in Chad Pennington, not coaching. Chad Penington completing passes and not turning the ball over is the real reason Miami is doing better this year than last. If their new coaching staff had to play with the players they had last year, the difference in the win column may have been 1 game, 2 max.