My Last Mock Draft

defiantgiant

So I've tried to put together one last mock, using (for the most part) players the Bears have been linked to in the past few weeks. I used CBS Sports' rankings as a rough guide for where each prospect will be available, and I've linked each guy to his profile on their site, except for Mike Mitchell, who doesn't have one. All right, enough said, here's what I'd like to see on draft weekend:

2.49) Juaquin Iglesias - WR - Oklahoma

Simply catches everything thrown to him. Hands are almost on par with Robiskie/Nicks. Fast enough to get separation, but still goes 6'1" 210 lbs. Projects well to either a #2 or slot receiver, giving the Bears some flexibility if Bennett emerges as the #2. Plus, we know Lovie likes Sooners.

3.99) Darcel McBath - FS - Texas Tech

Great instincts and coverage skills, good build, real field general, somewhat iffy hitting ability, but a very reliable tackler. A good centerfielder-type safety who is a leader on defense. Angelo had some good things to say about the guy, if I remember right. Had to play against Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree every week in practice, so he's had a lot of experience covering blue-chip receivers.

4.119) Roy Miller - DT - Texas

Prototype 4-3 nose guard. Limited pass-rush ability, but will command double-teams and close down running lanes. Plays hard until the whistle. The Bears haven't had a run-stuffing nose guard since Tank Johnson left, and Dusty Dvoracek was poor against the run even when healthy. The inability of the front 4 to stop the run was just as responsible as the awful pass rush for the fact that the Bears played all their linebackers in the box last season. Miller should be able to split time with Anthony Adams at first, then take over the spot full-time.

5.140) Macho Harris - CB - Virginia Tech

Shutdown corner at Virginia Tech, but has been knocked down many teams' draft boards for his lack of straight-line speed. Still, his excellent agility and coverage instincts should make him an ideal Cover-2 corner. Had 15 picks for 278 yards in college, making him 3rd all-time in the ACC. Tied with Alphonso Smith for the ACC all-time record of 4 interceptions returned for touchdowns. Due to injuries to other players, Harris at various times in 2007 and 2008 played both corner spots, free safety, punt returner, kick returner, wide receiver, slot receiver, and tailback.

5.154) Cornelius Lewis - OT/OG - Tennessee State

Angelo pointed out that the Bears are looking for tackles who can play guard in this draft, and Lewis is exactly that. He's played both the left and right tackle spots at Tennessee State, but could be dominant as an interior lineman. Marginal feet and agility for the tackle position, but projects (at a minimum) to be a nasty, road-grading RG. Might have the best hand punch in the entire draft. Has a very good anchor and won't be walked backward into the QB. Not a great second-level blocker and probably can't mirror well enough to stay at left tackle, but could take over for Garza at right guard and potentially replace Shaffer at right tackle down the line.

6.190) Mike Mitchell - SS - Ohio

Nicknamed "The Missile" at Ohio. Has prototype size (6'0", 220 lbs.) and excellent range for a strong safety. Runs 4.45 in the 40, and might have the coverage ability to compete at free safety. At a minimum, should be an excellent special teamer and push Payne/Steltz for the SS spot.

7.246) Pierre Walters - DE - Eastern Illinois

Raw developmental prospect with good size (6'4" 269 lbs.) and plenty of upside, as he's still learning pass-rush moves. Played both end spots in college, probably a left end in the NFL at this point, as he's more of a power/bull rusher than an edge rusher. Great use of leverage and good, violent handfighting, even at this stage in his development. Already a pretty good run-stopper, could easily emerge as a quality pass-rusher if he continues to work on spin and swim moves to go with his stack-and-shed and bull-rush. Would be an excellent project for Rod Marinelli.

7.251) Robert Francois - OLB - Boston College

Overshadowed by the surrounding defensive talent at BC (B.J. Raji, Ron Brace, Mark Herzlich, and Brian Toal, among others) but is a good prospect in his own right. Nice measurables at 6'3", 243 lbs. and a 4.58 forty. Standout on special teams at BC and played very well when Toal went down with an injury. Only had 14 starts at OLB, but could be developed by Babich, now that he's back to coaching linebackers. On special teams, could potentially provide a legitimate replacement for Brendon Ayanbadejo, who the Bears have been missing badly since he went to Baltimore.

UDFA) Jason Chery - WR - Louisiana-Lafayette

Small-school receiver the Bears are known to be interested in. Smallish reciever (5'10" 189 lbs.) but has good quickness and hands. Should be a valuable contributor on special teams, which will help him win a roster spot.

In my own estimation, this would be a pretty good draft. The thing it's most obviously lacking is an immediate-impact pass-rusher, but Angelo's admitted that it's very difficult to draft a guy at that position who will break out his first year, even in the first round. Look at Chris Long on the Rams, for example. I think the Bears are counting on Marinelli to improve the pass rush in 2009, and Walters is a good developmental prospect for the future.

Anyway, that's my last mock before the draft tomorrow. What do you guys think?

So I've tried to put together one last mock, using (for the most part) players the Bears have been linked to in the past few weeks. I used CBS Sports' rankings as a rough guide for where each prospect will be available, and I've linked each guy to his profile on their site, except for Mike Mitchell, who doesn't have one. All right, enough said, here's what I'd like to see on draft weekend:

2.49) Juaquin Iglesias - WR - Oklahoma

Simply catches everything thrown to him. Hands are almost on par with Robiskie/Nicks. Fast enough to get separation, but still goes 6'1" 210 lbs. Projects well to either a #2 or slot receiver, giving the Bears some flexibility if Bennett emerges as the #2. Plus, we know Lovie likes Sooners.

3.99) Darcel McBath - FS - Texas Tech

Great instincts and coverage skills, good build, real field general, somewhat hitting ability, but a very reliable tackler. A good centerfielder-type safety who is a leader on defense. Angelo had some good things to say about the guy, if I remember right. Had to play against Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree every week in practice, so he's had a lot of experience covering blue-chip receivers.

4.119) Roy Miller - DT - Texas

Prototype 4-3 nose guard. Limited pass-rush ability, but will command double-teams and close down running lanes. Plays hard until the whistle. The Bears haven't had a run-stuffing nose guard since Tank Johnson left, and Dusty Dvoracek was poor against the run even when healthy. The inability of the front 4 to stop the run was just as responsible as the awful pass rush for the fact that the Bears played all their linebackers in the box last season. Miller should be able to split time with Anthony Adams at first, then take over the spot full-time.

5.140) Macho Harris - CB - Virginia Tech

Shutdown corner at Virginia Tech, but has been knocked down many teams' draft boards for his lack of straight-line speed. Still, his excellent agility and coverage instincts should make him an ideal Cover-2 corner. Had 15 picks for 278 yards in college, making him 3rd all-time in the ACC. Tied with Alphonso Smith for the ACC all-time record of 4 interceptions returned for touchdowns. Due to injuries to other players, Harris at various times in 2007 and 2008 played both corner spots, free safety, punt returner, kick returner, wide receiver, slot receiver, and tailback.

5.154) Cornelius Lewis - OT/OG - Tennessee State

Angelo pointed out that the Bears are looking for tackles who can play guard in this draft, and Lewis is exactly that. He's played both the left and right tackle spots at Tennessee State, but could be dominant as an interior lineman. Marginal feet and agility for the tackle position, but projects (at a minimum) to be a nasty, road-grading RG. Might have the best hand punch in the entire draft. Has a very good anchor and won't be walked backward into the QB. Not a great second-level blocker and probably can't mirror well enough to stay at left tackle, but could take over for Garza at right guard and potentially replace Shaffer at right tackle down the line.

6.190) Mike Mitchell - SS - Ohio

Nicknamed "The Missile" at Ohio. Has prototype size (6'0", 220 lbs.) and excellent range for a strong safety. Runs 4.45 in the 40, and might have the coverage ability to compete at free safety. At a minimum, should be an excellent special teamer and push Payne/Steltz for the SS spot.

7.246) Pierre Walters - DE - Eastern Illinois

Raw developmental prospect with good size (6'4" 269 lbs.) and plenty of upside, as he's still learning pass-rush moves. Played both end spots in college, probably a left end in the NFL at this point, as he's more of a power/bull rusher than an edge rusher. Great use of leverage and good, violent handfighting, even at this stage in his development. Already a pretty good run-stopper, could easily emerge as a quality pass-rusher if he continues to work on spin and swim moves to go with his stack-and-shed and bull-rush. Would be an excellent project for Rod Marinelli.

7.251) Robert Francois - OLB - Boston College

Overshadowed by the surrounding defensive talent at BC (B.J. Raji, Ron Brace, Mark Herzlich, and Brian Toal, among others) but is a good prospect in his own right. Nice measurables at 6'3", 243 lbs. and a 4.58 forty. Standout on special teams at BC and played very well when Toal went down with an injury. Only had 14 starts at OLB, but could be developed by Babich, now that he's back to coaching linebackers. On special teams, could potentially provide a legitimate replacement for Brendon Ayanbadejo, who the Bears have been missing badly since he went to Baltimore.

UDFA) Jason Chery - WR - Louisiana-Lafayette

Small-school receiver the Bears are known to be interested in. Smallish reciever (5'10" 189 lbs.) but has good quickness and hands. Should be a valuable contributor on special teams, which will help him win a roster spot.

In my own estimation, this would be a pretty good draft. The thing it's most obviously lacking is an immediate-impact pass-rusher, but Angelo's admitted that it's very difficult to draft a guy at that position who will break out his first year, even in the first round. Look at Chris Long on the Rams, for example. I think the Bears are counting on Marinelli to improve the pass rush in 2009, and Walters is a good developmental prospect for the future.

Anyway, that's my last mock before the draft tomorrow. What do you guys think?

I like it. You have guys that I really like. Mitchell, McBath, Harris, Walters.

For the first pick I would be good with Iggy, Mass. and I am intrigued by Mike Wallace.

I also think they might not pick an Olineman because of the numbers on the roster. I think they will keep a special teams guy rather than a lineman. So maybe replace that pick with another WR like Knox or Tate.

I would be happy with it though.