Georgia risks NCAA penalties over Cutler-Stafford gift

defiantgiant

Per Rotoworld:

"The Georgia football program is reportedly in "hot water" after Jay Cutler gave four Broncos-Falcons tickets to then-Bulldogs quarterback Matthew Stafford in November of last year. Stafford then distributed three to teammates. If the report is true, Stafford violated NCAA regulations and the Bulldogs risk losing scholarships, or may face other penalties. Dogs FB Shaun Chapas confirmed that he got a ticket, but says he donated $40 to a Boys and Girls Club in exchange. Georgia conveniently didn't report the violation(s) until after Stafford declared for the draft."

Nice thing for Cutler to do for a college QB, even if the school shouldn't have let Stafford accept the tickets. I think it's kind of cool when NFC North rivals are actually friendly off the field: Aaron Rodgers and Peanut Tillman apparently work out together in the offseason. I'm sure Cutler would rather face Stafford twice a year than a guy like Philip Rivers.

Why is this a problem. I get that college players can not receive money or gifts, but I thought that was supposed to be more limited to boosters and such. Can a college player receive nothing from, from no one, while playing?

I swear the NCAA will on day tell a player the gift they received from their mother, on Christmas, is a violation.

Per Rotoworld:

"The Georgia football program is reportedly in "hot water" after Jay Cutler gave four Broncos-Falcons tickets to then-Bulldogs quarterback Matthew Stafford in November of last year. Stafford then distributed three to teammates. If the report is true, Stafford violated NCAA regulations and the Bulldogs risk losing scholarships, or may face other penalties. Dogs FB Shaun Chapas confirmed that he got a ticket, but says he donated $40 to a Boys and Girls Club in exchange. Georgia conveniently didn't report the violation(s) until after Stafford declared for the draft."

Nice thing for Cutler to do for a college QB, even if the school shouldn't have let Stafford accept the tickets. I think it's kind of cool when NFC North rivals are actually friendly off the field: Aaron Rodgers and Peanut Tillman apparently work out together in the offseason. I'm sure Cutler would rather face Stafford twice a year than a guy like Philip Rivers.

Why is this a problem. I get that college players can not receive money or gifts, but I thought that was supposed to be more limited to boosters and such. Can a college player receive nothing from, from no one, while playing?

I swear the NCAA will on day tell a player the gift they received from their mother, on Christmas, is a violation.

Yeah, I think football tickets, of all things, should be allowed. If anything, I think the NCAA would benefit from letting its players go to some NFL games.

If this were a booster giving season tickets to a college player, I might better understand, but that just does not seem to be the case. I don't know. At some point, I just think there are enough big issues w/o having to go after a player who received a couple tickets (w/ some money seemingly to have gone to a charity) for a single game.

Yeah, I think football tickets, of all things, should be allowed. If anything, I think the NCAA would benefit from letting its players go to some NFL games.

If this were the govt going after him, I'd be livid w/ the waste of my tax dollars. But since it's private, it's just bad business.

If this were a booster giving season tickets to a college player, I might better understand, but that just does not seem to be the case. I don't know. At some point, I just think there are enough big issues w/o having to go after a player who received a couple tickets (w/ some money seemingly to have gone to a charity) for a single game.

I think this is just insane and somebody needs to fight the extent of the rule. I agree that players shouldn't receive gifts and money especially from agents and/or scouts. But this is from one friend to another friend just providing tickets. So does this mean that if I had a friend in College that needed a little time away that I couldn't get them a plane ticket to go see family or something.