Matt Jones

VenomSox

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...;name=dickerson

There's been no evidence -- outside of Plaxico Burress -- of the Bears looking for any additional help at wide receiver.

However, the Bears may have quietly done some homework on free agent Matt Jones. The talented but troubled Jones, a first-round pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005 -- admitted Wednesday his representatives have engaged in some dialogue with Chicago.

"My agent has talked to the Jets, Titans, Bears and Dallas," Jones told 103.7 The Buzz in Little Rock, Ark. "Things are looking good. Something probably will happen sooner rather than later. We just want it to be a good fit and somewhere where I can get in there and help a team win."

The Bears seem content to let their unproven receivers get as many reps as possible during training camp. Perhaps Jones is simply viewed as an emergency option in the event of an injury. Or maybe Jones is a backup plan if guys like Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox and Juaquin Iglesias bomb this summer. Or maybe the Bears don't have any interest at all.

Just for the record: Jones claims to be in outstanding shape after spending the last four months training down in Florida.

That's good to hear. I'm guessing most of these teams are offering a one year deal for the minimum or close to it. It's weird the Bears actually have a leg-up in the competition. We have a combination of the best quarterback with the worst WR's.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...;name=dickerson

There's been no evidence -- outside of Plaxico Burress -- of the Bears looking for any additional help at wide receiver.

However, the Bears may have quietly done some homework on free agent Matt Jones. The talented but troubled Jones, a first-round pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005 -- admitted Wednesday his representatives have engaged in some dialogue with Chicago.

"My agent has talked to the Jets, Titans, Bears and Dallas," Jones told 103.7 The Buzz in Little Rock, Ark. "Things are looking good. Something probably will happen sooner rather than later. We just want it to be a good fit and somewhere where I can get in there and help a team win."

The Bears seem content to let their unproven receivers get as many reps as possible during training camp. Perhaps Jones is simply viewed as an emergency option in the event of an injury. Or maybe Jones is a backup plan if guys like Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox and Juaquin Iglesias bomb this summer. Or maybe the Bears don't have any interest at all.

Just for the record: Jones claims to be in outstanding shape after spending the last four months training down in Florida.

Guest TerraTor
That's good to hear. I'm guessing most of these teams are offering a one year deal for the minimum or close to it. It's weird the Bears actually have a leg-up in the competition. We have a combination of the best quarterback with the worst WR's.

I was gonna post something about why we havent had anyone come in. I dont know who's out there really but i wouldnt mind having Brandon Lloyd on this team, Denver dammit, att least he can catch the ball (ahem, Rashied Davis). Matt Jones had more yards and catches than any of our bums and he only played 12 games, not givin him credit though.

Cutler i think made Marshall who he is and in turn eddie royal benefitted from it. Gotta bring in a big body than actually pose a threat. Hester goes deep and it bounces off his head, not to mention he is the best PR/KR of all time and was taken away from it, still blows my mind. Im wondering if Olsen will be lined up as the Wideout in most sets, hes probably the most reciever on the team.

I hope someone steps in and just blows us away as a WR but i just dont see anyone doing it.

Get Well Soon Charles Tillman

His agent wouldn't be doing his job if he had not contacted the Bears. I think we'll see what we've got before making an attempt for someone like Jones.

That's true. "His agent talked to the Bears" could mean Angelo said "Moonshine can go to hell!" and hung up.

How much do we have to lose over our current WR's? IMHO, MJ would be our #1 receiver by opening day if we showed enough interest. Tall, fast, w/ hands=instant upgrade. I believe our team doesnt even have a #2 much less a one. Dont try and tell me Hester is a #1 either. We have the best PR/KR in history trying to be a WR. He may possibly be a better DB than WR...who knows? God, I hope he S. Smith's it.

How much do we have to lose over our current WR's? IMHO, MJ would be our #1 receiver by opening day if we showed enough interest. Tall, fast, w/ hands=instant upgrade. I believe our team doesnt even have a #2 much less a one. Dont try and tell me Hester is a #1 either. We have the best PR/KR in history trying to be a WR. He may possibly be a better DB than WR...who knows? God, I hope he S. Smith's it.

First of all Hester is a much better WR than a DB unless you were watching some other game during his rookie season. He was horrible as a DB and if my old age hasn't bitten me to much Hester improved quite a bit last year. There is a reason that Jones is still unsigned as of August 1. This club has shown in the past that it won't deal with headaches. We do have a person on our current roster that is 4 years younger and faster than Jones and has excellent hands. The only thing seperating the 2 would be that the guy I am talking about is 6'0 and Jones is 6'6". I am talking about Johnny Knox. Just watch I believe that he is going to be a stud in this league. Maybe not this year but then again Jones won't be a stud this year either.

First of all Hester is a much better WR than a DB unless you were watching some other game during his rookie season. He was horrible as a DB and if my old age hasn't bitten me to much Hester improved quite a bit last year. There is a reason that Jones is still unsigned as of August 1. This club has shown in the past that it won't deal with headaches. We do have a person on our current roster that is 4 years younger and faster than Jones and has excellent hands. The only thing seperating the 2 would be that the guy I am talking about is 6'0 and Jones is 6'6". I am talking about Johnny Knox. Just watch I believe that he is going to be a stud in this league. Maybe not this year but then again Jones won't be a stud this year either.

I got hope for knox, but honestly I think Jones was on the verge of breakin out last year. That 6 inches can mean a lot, and it's not like he's micheal vick. I bet the moment he got busted for drinkin on that golf course and had to go to jail 5 days he learned his lesson and would be a boost to this WR core. If it makes the team better, then why not.

I got hope for knox, but honestly I think Jones was on the verge of breakin out last year. That 6 inches can mean a lot, and it's not like he's micheal vick. I bet the moment he got busted for drinkin on that golf course and had to go to jail 5 days he learned his lesson and would be a boost to this WR core. If it makes the team better, then why not.

If this was just his first offense I wouldn't have a problem but considering that he has had problems since his college days I don't want him that bad.