Our new back up RB has hit the waivers

GrizzlyBear

In yet another offensive shakeup for the Buffalo Bills, veteran running back Dominic Rhodes was cut Saturday as the team trimmed the roster to 53, according to a source with knowledge of the move.

Rhodes, who spent seven of his eight NFL seasons with Indianapolis, was signed this summer to provide depth after the league suspended starting tailback Marshawn Lynch for three games. Rhodes saw limited action in the preseason, rushing just 19 times for 64 yards and a touchdown. He also had two fumbles. Rhodes was listed as third on the depth chart behind Lynch and Fred Jackson.

1 year deal could do this for the Bears

1 year deal could do this for the Bears

Why would we want Rhodes? He's old, he has knee issues, and he got outplayed in Buffalo by some guy named Xavier Omon. The Colts could have resigned him on the cheap at the end of '08, but they opted to dump him instead. Indianapolis is a pretty smart franchise when it comes to personnel moves; I'm inclined to think that if they ditched Rhodes, he doesn't have anything left.

If we were going to bring in a dinged-up 30-plus-year-old running back, I'd want Warrick Dunn. He at least had a pretty good season for the Bucs last year...over 1100 yards from scrimmage and 4.2 YPC. Rhodes hasn't broken 1100 yards since 2001.

Really, though, I think the Bears ought to trade for a young guy. Even if we have to trade a pick, we need a legitimate 1-2 at RB. Kevin Jones should have taught them that signing an injury-prone vet off the scrap heap isn't the way to go.

Why would we want Rhodes? He's old, he has knee issues, and he got outplayed in Buffalo by some guy named Xavier Omon. The Colts could have resigned him on the cheap at the end of '08, but they opted to dump him instead. Indianapolis is a pretty smart franchise when it comes to personnel moves; I'm inclined to think that if they ditched Rhodes, he doesn't have anything left.

If we were going to bring in a dinged-up 30-plus-year-old running back, I'd want Warrick Dunn. He at least had a pretty good season for the Bucs last year...over 1100 yards from scrimmage and 4.2 YPC. Rhodes hasn't broken 1100 yards since 2001.

Really, though, I think the Bears ought to trade for a young guy. Even if we have to trade a pick, we need a legitimate 1-2 at RB. Kevin Jones should have taught them that signing an injury-prone vet off the scrap heap isn't the way to go.

Thats a pretty big assumption, From all I read it had more to do with Money. He is effective in the passing game and can run the ball. Now that he is cut he be had for cheap on 1 year deal.

But I have agree on a younger guy. I really liked the Kid at Pitt, 5 touchdowns in Preseason and ran with Authority. His name Isaac Redman. I would grab him heartbeat and its said Pitt is trying to hide him going to the PS by not releasing thier Cut list yet.

Does anyone give our Adrian Peterson any thought for #2?

I've always liked the guy - he is a journeyman and he never stops working. he always looks good in preseason, but he never seems to be able to get it done when it counts. I think before the injury to KJ, the writing was on the wall that he wasn't gonna make the cut this year. Now, who knows?

Positives include keeping him on Special Teams, which will make us over the top strong since they'd likely already found a replacement for his loss, and as a RB, having a guy who really knows the system and does a great job pass blocking for protection. He is the opposite of Garrett Wolfe too, if you're looking for certain matchups in any given week.

Still, I admit his days could be numbered. I like the guy a lot - great motor and heart, but if there was something flashier available, I'd probably go for that.

SO, do we look outside for RB, or go with Peterson?

Does anyone give our Adrian Peterson any thought for #2?

I've always liked the guy - he is a journeyman and he never stops working. he always looks good in preseason, but he never seems to be able to get it done when it counts. I think before the injury to KJ, the writing was on the wall that he wasn't gonna make the cut this year. Now, who knows?

Positives include keeping him on Special Teams, which will make us over the top strong since they'd likely already found a replacement for his loss, and as a RB, having a guy who really knows the system and does a great job pass blocking for protection. He is the opposite of Garrett Wolfe too, if you're looking for certain matchups in any given week.

Still, I admit his days could be numbered. I like the guy a lot - great motor and heart, but if there was something flashier available, I'd probably go for that.

SO, do we look outside for RB, or go with Peterson?

Technically, he's not a journeyman, and definitely not someone I want carrying the load if need be (what a #2 back should be). He's a good guy to have as a finisher in blowouts along with a handful of carries a game, but he's no longer the ST ace he was and never has been more than a third RB on a good roster.

I was looking at Redman for more longterm then short, Peterson will do in Pinch for sure and coupled with ST play he is valuable, But Redman has something that none of our backs... Brandon Jacobs size. He could wear out or mop up take your pick. I just liked the kid, He came outa nowhere really. UDA and scores 5 TD's in Preseason. That is saying something.

Another guy to look at: the Ravens just released Cedric Peerman. He's not the bruising short-yardage type like Redman, but he's a very complete back and I really think he could be good in the pros. He kind of reminds me of a poor man's Thomas Jones: similar builds and running styles, both went to UVa, etc. I'd love it if the Bears dumped Garrett Wolfe and signed Peerman.

Another guy to look at: the Ravens just released Cedric Peerman. He's not the bruising short-yardage type like Redman, but he's a very complete back and I really think he could be good in the pros. He kind of reminds me of a poor man's Thomas Jones: similar builds and running styles, both went to UVa, etc. I'd love it if the Bears dumped Garrett Wolfe and signed Peerman.

Midget hands. I'd rather grab Kory Sheets. All this talk seems moot though, with the Bears sounding content with what they have. It's stupid, IMHO, but I also thought it was dumb to re-sign KJ and pass up a young healthy guy via the draft.

Midget hands. I'd rather grab Kory Sheets. All this talk seems moot though, with the Bears sounding content with what they have. It's stupid, IMHO, but I also thought it was dumb to re-sign KJ and pass up a young healthy guy via the draft.

He's got little hands, but he wasn't a big fumbler at Virginia, and he's a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. Doesn't seem to affect him that much. Maybe it would at the next level, I don't know.