Mr nice needs to go

NAMEDSONPAYTON2

And Lovie is responsible for the system on the field. The cover 2 ain't getting it done. Not with the players we have.

we have never had the right players for this type of defense to be run full time (not to mention the SYSTEM has been compromised by good EDIT>OC's around the league for years).

add to this, what we run is NOT even the definition of the cover 2 defense per se'. the cushions we give receivers off the line is insane and about 75% of our problems on defense.

you not only need good tackles who can penetrate or push back the pocket but you need, in my opinion, at least one VERY GOOD cover corner to go with your safeties. you HAVE to stop the quick 2-3 step drop passing attack by disrupting the qb's timing. you do this by covering/jamming and/or directing the receivers off the LOS to give your DL time to even GET to the qb's. nobody seems to believe me when i say that a very good cover corner would have been the best addition to this type of system if you are fool enough to even run it. this is why we made a major mistake in not picking up charles woodson when he went initially to the packers!!!

as it stands, we not only don't have good CB's who can do this but we don't even have safeties to overcompensate for their lack of production which results in those zones being so open play after play. every receiver we face virtually runs an undisturbed/untouched route from the snap into empty intermediate zones and even if we blitz the hot receiver is never even touched thus resulting in a lot of receptions and moving of the chains!!!

I read on another board someone sayings that we the need the Lovie Smith Circa 2004-2006

Lovie Smith post Super Bowl has been horrid.

You me when Ron Rivera was running the D and wasn't running the exact D Lovie wanted thus he was let go? Funny how much worse the D got after he left....

yup. Lovie never liked how much credit Rivera got for that defense, but it sure looks like Rivera deserved it.

Another thing rarely considered is, besides Rivera, I believe we also allowed our DL coach to walk that year, and his replacement (Brick haley) was a bust.

It was after that SB when Lovie said Trust Me, as he let Rivera walk and promoted his BFF who had no experience running a defense.

You me when Ron Rivera was running the D and wasn't running the exact D Lovie wanted thus he was let go? Funny how much worse the D got after he left....