Is Harris more important than we want to admit?

nfoligno

You know, there was a time when I would have disagreed with this, but I think this team has shown a real lack of discipline recently. I still think Lovie's a good head coach, and the players clearly want to play for him: there was a survey of NFL players last year, and Lovie was like #2 among coaches that players would like to play for.

But I wonder if he's hard enough on his guys. We had a lot more guys playing up to their potential when Ron Rivera was here. Rivera's had some ups and downs as DC in San Diego, but he's definitely a hardass when it comes to motivating his players. I wonder if we really needed a DC who the players were afraid of, to go along with the HC that they love playing for.

I'm not going to join the Fire Lovie crowd, but I would love it if the front office brought in an outside DC to work with him. He's done enough as a head coach to warrant keeping him for that alone, but it's pretty clear that the team was better when there was an independent-minded coordinator working on the defense with him.

I wonder WHY he was #2 among coaches that players would like to play for. Does that mean he would be a better coach than Cowher,Billicheck, or the last 10 coaches that won Super Bowls?I want a coach that pleases the fans,orginization,and players. Not one that the players would more like to play for,do you know what I mean?

I wonder WHY he was #2 among coaches that players would like to play for. Does that mean he would be a better coach than Cowher,Billicheck, or the last 10 coaches that won Super Bowls?I want a coach that pleases the fans,orginization,and players. Not one that the players would more like to play for,do you know what I mean?

Honestly, I think it probably means that they're happier playing for him or they feel like they're treated better. Coughlin was really low on that list, if I remember, and this was when the Giants were coming off a Super Bowl, so I don't think winning a Super Bowl necessarily meant that guys wanted to play for you.

I just think it should be a two-headed monster: have a head coach who the guys want to play well for, and a coordinator who can stamp enough discipline into them that they actually WILL play well. I don't want to make another tired Ditka/Buddy Ryan comparison, but there's clearly some value to having a coach and a DC who aren't exactly one and the same. Some good cop/bad cop might get our defense to play up to its potential.

Honestly, I think it probably means that they're happier playing for him or they feel like they're treated better. Coughlin was really low on that list, if I remember, and this was when the Giants were coming off a Super Bowl, so I don't think winning a Super Bowl necessarily meant that guys wanted to play for you.

I just think it should be a two-headed monster: have a head coach who the guys want to play well for, and a coordinator who can stamp enough discipline into them that they actually WILL play well. I don't want to make another tired Ditka/Buddy Ryan comparison, but there's clearly some value to having a coach and a DC who aren't exactly one and the same. Some good cop/bad cop might get our defense to play up to its potential.

I don' care who these millionare players like to play for, because they like him more. I want my nonmillionare ass fan to have winning teams.