Influencing Change

Uncle Buck

I was considering the impact the ads and billboard might have on the McCaskey's potential decision to make changes to the team's management. Specifically, I wondered what else could be done to influence a change.

As a born and bred Chicagoan and a fan of all of the city's teams I thought of changes our other teams have made and tried to make comparisons to the scenario facing the Bears. I think a good comparison could be made to the Blackhawks. Outside of the mild successes enjoyed during the tenures of Orval Tessier and Mike Keenan, this team has been mired in poor performances over the last twenty years. While Dollar Bill Wirtz was alive ,the team, to its own detriment, focused solely on its season ticket base. Revenue and profits were left on the table because the team refused to broadcast the team's games on free television. Much like the recent Bull's teams, this organization struggled for media coverage and specifically radio coverage of its games. For many years, the Hawks only media coverage came from game coverage from beat reporters. Feature reporters rarely bothered to write about the team.

Dollar Bill passes away, Rocky Wirtz steps up to move the team into the world of modern hockey. Bob Pulford (aka Jerry Angelo) is shown the door, the team hires a real coach and rides the coattails of its young talent. The media coverage blossoms, their games are on free television and the organization becomes the toast of the town.

While, I don't wish any ill will on Virginia McCaskey, it would be nice if a younger member of the family steps up and applies his/her influence to force organizational change.

In the interim, it would be great if the media could start to reduce the team to irrelevancy. Success breeds success and attention. Three straight poor seasons certainly calls for less attention paid to the team by the media. Do we really need all these reporters assigned to this team? If the Bears want to insist on serving up a platter of manure and expecting the public to pay premium prices, stop giving them the free press. Make them pay for it until the product on the field proves it is worthy of coverage and relevancy.

I know Chicago is a football town, but these Hawks are converting many people. Perhaps their success will reduce the Bears to second class citizens and our press can help push them there by starting to deemphasize the team.

Just my two cents.

In the interim, it would be great if the media could start to reduce the team to irrelevancy. Success breeds success and attention. Three straight poor seasons certainly calls for less attention paid to the team by the media. Do we really need all these reporters assigned to this team? If the Bears want to insist on serving up a platter of manure and expecting the public to pay premium prices, stop giving them the free press. Make them pay for it until the product on the field proves it is worthy of coverage and relevancy.

I hope you realize this will never happen.

Peace :dabears

I hope you realize this will never happen.

Peace :dabears

I can dream can't I? :)

At this point it, as the media believes, the whole staff will be back. Guys like Pompeii are prepping us all for another serving at the all you can eat Bears crap buffet. I just don't know what else that fans can do to push for a change. I certainly would not advocate asking season ticket holders to drop their tickets, the wait list is too long and some of these tickets have been with families for a long time. What other ways can you punish the Bears for their indifference? I guess not patronizing their sponsors? Not buying Bears merchandise for my kids?

I just fear that after the season, someone like Pep Hamilton will be the only sacrifice. That is completely unacceptable. These half witted reporters need to make the McCaskey's realize that a lot more money is at risk than the $11 million to dump Lovie. What is the team's take on merchandising and concessions? How much does all of the sponsors pony up to get their name associated with the team? This all is at risk, or should be and we need the media to get off of the jag that eating Lovie's salary is the worst financial decision the team can make. The risk of losing all of the other revenue streams is a hell of a lot greater than coaching salaries.

People say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.........