Potential OL problem moving forward

nfoligno

I think we can all agree our OL has sucked this year and has been a key problem for our offense. Many have screamed to build the OL for years, and w/ the OL so bad this year and everyone talking about it, it seemed like our wishes would finally be granted in this offseason. Now I have to wonder.

In the last game against Minny, we saw a huge difference from the first game.

Williams replaced Pace at LT, and did a pretty damn good job. I know he got a lot of help, but he also blocked Allen one-on-one plenty of times, and more than held his own.

Omiyale was unbelievably awful early in the season prior to being benched. But in the last couple games, has he really be nearly as awful. I am not asking if he has been good, but has he looked nearly so bad. Might the staff not start to ask how much of his poor play was due to Pace? Further, in the Minny game, he actually played pretty well. Didn't he matchup w/ Kevin Williams? I realize Pat was out, but it seemed like our interior played quite well, and Omiyale is part of that.

Kreutz had a pretty solid game as well.

Garza played well inside against Minny, and while I would say it is a relative phrase, many would say he has been our best OL this year.

Schaffer played at RT, and did pretty well. Not great, but pretty well, especially for a guy who rode the pine all year.

We now get Detroit, who just sucks. What if our OL turns out another solid game? I wonder if the staff starts to think that

(a) Pace was the biggest detriment to the OL, and replacing him w/ Williams was not just a key change this year, did not just help our situation at LT, but has a ripple effect on the OL.

(B) Omiyale started HORRIBLE, but was new to the position, and showed some development later in the year.

© Kreutz is still the leader of the OL, and we already have his eventual replacement in Beekman.

(d) Garza has been one of the more solid OL through these dreadful times.

(e) Williams struggled on the strong side, but Schaffer is more suited to the task. Further, I have read the staff is really high on Lance Louis and James Martin, either of which provide depth.

So this is my concern. The OL has been just plain bad all year, but between Williams replacing Pace, Schaffer replacing Williams, and Omiyale seeming to develop "some", I fear the OL will not be as great of a priority in the offseason as we all hope. Especially when you consider our few draft picks and a very questionable FA period this year, as well as having so many large holes.

OL has never been Angelo's top priority. I fear that our OL ending the year showing "some" development could give him the excuse to not make the OL a priority once again.

Pace is gone and IMO we still need a really good OG on this roster. I agree Omiyale has improved this year but I'd like to move him back to OT and let him and Shaffer compete for the starting RT spot with the backup being our swing guy.

We have Lance Louis who is very athletic and I'm not sure where he fits into this: Will we try him at OT next year or keep him at G? Not saying we should count on him as a starter but he should be in the mix for a backup role.

That question brings up one of my biggest problems with this coaching staff: player development and player evaluation. I have zero confidence in Harry, Turner, Lovie to coach up players for the Oline and/or put the best ones on the field. Omiyale was a good example versus Beekman earlier in the year. While we acknowledge Omiyale's progress throughout the year was he the right choice for winning games at the start of the season? Pace starting versus putting Williams at LT. Recall we had the one-armed Ruben Brown playing week after week when even he admitted later he couldn't even lift his bad arm.

With all the crappy decisions over the years it's impossible to grasp the talent we have in our backups, good or bad.

No arguments here. The one positive I can think is, whether Lovie stays or go, I think most believe Turner is gone. W/ Turner, I suspect much of the offensive assistants will be gone as well, and I think Harry will be at the top of that list.

So w/ new staff on offense, we may have some who can (a) evaluate the talent already in place, (B) better decide who should start and where and © better develop that talent.

At the same time, my fear is still w/ Angelo. If we have new coaches, we may have some who can get more out of what we have. But even then, I feel (as you mentioned) that we still have big needs on the OL, and after a strong game against Minny, I worry that Angelo will believe already made changes and developments will not make OL as great of a need in the offseason as we have expected all along.

Pace is gone and IMO we still need a really good OG on this roster. I agree Omiyale has improved this year but I'd like to move him back to OT and let him and Shaffer compete for the starting RT spot with the backup being our swing guy.

We have Lance Louis who is very athletic and I'm not sure where he fits into this: Will we try him at OT next year or keep him at G? Not saying we should count on him as a starter but he should be in the mix for a backup role.

That question brings up one of my biggest problems with this coaching staff: player development and player evaluation. I have zero confidence in Harry, Turner, Lovie to coach up players for the Oline and/or put the best ones on the field. Omiyale was a good example versus Beekman earlier in the year. While we acknowledge Omiyale's progress throughout the year was he the right choice for winning games at the start of the season? Pace starting versus putting Williams at LT. Recall we had the one-armed Ruben Brown playing week after week when even he admitted later he couldn't even lift his bad arm.

With all the crappy decisions over the years it's impossible to grasp the talent we have in our backups, good or bad.

Despite all the efforts at drafting them I have to say a DT is a top need as well. We just got killed up the gut all year long. In this Angelo has clearly not done well but he (or his replacement) needs to be smart enough to know that protecting the franchise (that would be Cutler) is job #1.

I think we can all agree our OL has sucked this year and has been a key problem for our offense. Many have screamed to build the OL for years, and w/ the OL so bad this year and everyone talking about it, it seemed like our wishes would finally be granted in this offseason. Now I have to wonder.

In the last game against Minny, we saw a huge difference from the first game.

Williams replaced Pace at LT, and did a pretty damn good job. I know he got a lot of help, but he also blocked Allen one-on-one plenty of times, and more than held his own.

Omiyale was unbelievably awful early in the season prior to being benched. But in the last couple games, has he really be nearly as awful. I am not asking if he has been good, but has he looked nearly so bad. Might the staff not start to ask how much of his poor play was due to Pace? Further, in the Minny game, he actually played pretty well. Didn't he matchup w/ Kevin Williams? I realize Pat was out, but it seemed like our interior played quite well, and Omiyale is part of that.

Kreutz had a pretty solid game as well.

Garza played well inside against Minny, and while I would say it is a relative phrase, many would say he has been our best OL this year.

Schaffer played at RT, and did pretty well. Not great, but pretty well, especially for a guy who rode the pine all year.

We now get Detroit, who just sucks. What if our OL turns out another solid game? I wonder if the staff starts to think that

(a) Pace was the biggest detriment to the OL, and replacing him w/ Williams was not just a key change this year, did not just help our situation at LT, but has a ripple effect on the OL.

(B) Omiyale started HORRIBLE, but was new to the position, and showed some development later in the year.

© Kreutz is still the leader of the OL, and we already have his eventual replacement in Beekman.

(d) Garza has been one of the more solid OL through these dreadful times.

(e) Williams struggled on the strong side, but Schaffer is more suited to the task. Further, I have read the staff is really high on Lance Louis and James Martin, either of which provide depth.

So this is my concern. The OL has been just plain bad all year, but between Williams replacing Pace, Schaffer replacing Williams, and Omiyale seeming to develop "some", I fear the OL will not be as great of a priority in the offseason as we all hope. Especially when you consider our few draft picks and a very questionable FA period this year, as well as having so many large holes.

OL has never been Angelo's top priority. I fear that our OL ending the year showing "some" development could give him the excuse to not make the OL a priority once again.

I am done believing anyone from this coaching staff or front office when they say they are high on someone. We took this long to figure out that Pace was done. We just started using Aromashadou. What did it take for this coaching staff to get it (if they have)? 9 losses, a plague of locusts, dogs and cats living together (Bill Murray)? A well coached team makes adjustments at halftime of the game. A poorly coached team makes adjustments at the halfway point of the season. A truly inept coached team makes adjustments with two to three games left in the season. We are the latter.

Fudge,

I think you hit it on the head, it is really hard to trust this management team to evaluate anyone. As for this offensive line, I think the Bears need to upgrade at guard for next year. Omayile should move back to tackle and compete with Shaeffer and Marten. If none of the three excel, then we can add tackle to the 2011 wish list. I believe an adequate starter can be found from the three. Olin still has something in the tank especially if he has competent guards around him.

Fudge,

I think you hit it on the head, it is really hard to trust this management team to evaluate anyone. As for this offensive line, I think the Bears need to upgrade at guard for next year. Omayile should move back to tackle and compete with Shaeffer and Marten. If none of the three excel, then we can add tackle to the 2011 wish list. I believe an adequate starter can be found from the three. Olin still has something in the tank especially if he has competent guards around him.

I agree with sentiments being that we need a snot bubbling OG. I also felt that Shaffer should have started at RT, with it being his job to lose--most veteran, best track record of being good and recently, etc.

As for DT and player development and decisions. This coaching staff should be taken out back and shot. And here's why. Tell me, why would they draft a 290 lb. DL and work him at DE? This scheme, this D, this staff....????? I'm sorry, but it doesn't add up, no way, no how. Gilbert has the skills to be a DE in a Dick Jauron standard 4-3 LDE, or a DE in a 3-4. But in Lovie's D, this guy is a 3 technique from jump (out of the pool) street.

Can someond, Lucy, please 'esplain" this to me?

I've been listening to the sports talk radio quite a bit lately, trying to digest everything since this season went into the toilet. Some of the discussion brought out that when Lovie got the contract extension, he also got himself equal footing with Jerry. The picks of Bauzin and Okowo were Lovie's choices. Now I know Angelo had a say in the situation, but the fact seems to be that Lovie has greater power in the draft room than I knew. So I am wondering if like the effort to undermine Jauron, that maybe the selection of Gilbert was also an attempt to undermine Smith? If this guy, your top pick in the draft does not fit Smith's system, did Angelo force it to expose Smith much like he did to Jauron? Just throwing out another log on the fire.

Despite all the efforts at drafting them I have to say a DT is a top need as well. We just got killed up the gut all year long. In this Angelo has clearly not done well but he (or his replacement) needs to be smart enough to know that protecting the franchise (that would be Cutler) is job #1.

However, this is another problem: what if Harris plays like he did Monday night? He was dominant, and another game like this might make the organization think- "well, Tommie is back" and we might look past the need. With our luck then, next year he'll go back "once a month I'll play good" Tommie Harris.

However, I do believe your right. Idonije is a nice player, Harrison came in overweight and has digressed since last year, Adams is nothing more than average, and who knows what we'll get from Gilbert at DE or DT. D'Anthony Smith, DT from Louisiana Tech, might be a good pick in the 3rd round, but lasting until the 4th is a long shot.

I've been listening to the sports talk radio quite a bit lately, trying to digest everything since this season went into the toilet. Some of the discussion brought out that when Lovie got the contract extension, he also got himself equal footing with Jerry. The picks of Bauzin and Okowo were Lovie's choices. Now I know Angelo had a say in the situation, but the fact seems to be that Lovie has greater power in the draft room than I knew. So I am wondering if like the effort to undermine Jauron, that maybe the selection of Gilbert was also an attempt to undermine Smith? If this guy, your top pick in the draft does not fit Smith's system, did Angelo force it to expose Smith much like he did to Jauron? Just throwing out another log on the fire.

First time I've heard this. It's really starting to become more and more damning of Lovie. Now I wonder if Lovie is being spiteful with some of JAs picks. The way you see guys get left on the bench sometimes and we here crap like: "we need to work him in more", or "he's coming along".

I don't think the added power Lovie got went to this area.

When Jauron was here, Dick had power similar to what Lovie does now. Jauron had absolute power over his staff. That was why JA could never fire Shoop. Jauron had control over his staff. Further, while JA had power over what players were added to the team, Jauron had total control over the 53 man roster. What I mean is, JA had the power to decide who the 53 would be, but Jauron had power over how to handle those 53. So he choose who started and where.

I remember there was a point when JA cut a player that Jauron supposedly liked, and shortly after, Jauron benched a young player JA had drafted and liked. Whether true or not, this was the sort of way each could use their power.

Same thing today w/ Lovie. Lovie does not have control over who the team drafts or signs. He may have some say, but he always did as the HC w/ tight ties to the GM.

There may be players on the roster who Lovie liked and asked JA to draft for him, but this didn't happen to due his new deal, and I would bet similar was done well before he signed his extension. So I don't buy that Okwo or whoever were Lovie picks. They may have been players Lovie was high on, but they were still Angelo picks.

First time I've heard this. It's really starting to become more and more damning of Lovie. Now I wonder if Lovie is being spiteful with some of JAs picks. The way you see guys get left on the bench sometimes and we here crap like: "we need to work him in more", or "he's coming along".

I've talked about this too. Our development thus far of Gilbert reminds me of Daniel Manning.

We draft the kid, and in camp, I remember talk of DT as Melton was our rookie to be developed at DE. Then Melton goes down, and I don't recall what, but something else happened, and Gilbert is now talked about as a DE. Then trade a 2nd for Gaines, and Gilbert is again moved back to DT.

Even now, I don't think the coaches have a clue what his best position is. We are going to work him at DT, but is that because we feel it is his best position, or because we just traded a 2nd for Wale's replacement?

I agree with sentiments being that we need a snot bubbling OG. I also felt that Shaffer should have started at RT, with it being his job to lose--most veteran, best track record of being good and recently, etc.

As for DT and player development and decisions. This coaching staff should be taken out back and shot. And here's why. Tell me, why would they draft a 290 lb. DL and work him at DE? This scheme, this D, this staff....????? I'm sorry, but it doesn't add up, no way, no how. Gilbert has the skills to be a DE in a Dick Jauron standard 4-3 LDE, or a DE in a 3-4. But in Lovie's D, this guy is a 3 technique from jump (out of the pool) street.

Can someond, Lucy, please 'esplain" this to me?

I don't think the added power Lovie got went to this area.

When Jauron was here, Dick had power similar to what Lovie does now. Jauron had absolute power over his staff. That was why JA could never fire Shoop. Jauron had control over his staff. Further, while JA had power over what players were added to the team, Jauron had total control over the 53 man roster. What I mean is, JA had the power to decide who the 53 would be, but Jauron had power over how to handle those 53. So he choose who started and where.

I remember there was a point when JA cut a player that Jauron supposedly liked, and shortly after, Jauron benched a young player JA had drafted and liked. Whether true or not, this was the sort of way each could use their power.

Same thing today w/ Lovie. Lovie does not have control over who the team drafts or signs. He may have some say, but he always did as the HC w/ tight ties to the GM.

There may be players on the roster who Lovie liked and asked JA to draft for him, but this didn't happen to due his new deal, and I would bet similar was done well before he signed his extension. So I don't buy that Okwo or whoever were Lovie picks. They may have been players Lovie was high on, but they were still Angelo picks.

Got the contract and picks discussion from writers who cover the team (heard it on the radio), so I am taking the source at their word, they would know better than I . I am not trying to absolve Angelo, but Lovie pushed for those players and he did gain more power in the contract extension thanks to Ted Phillips being an idiot.

Fact is, despite two straight wins, this fish is rotten from the head down, it is a shame the McCaskey family won't have the courage to make the right decision. Good luck to them trying to spin this crap next week. I would not bet against a ticket price increase being announced instead.

I guess I'm not seeing this problem. Yeha, they had a nice couple of games as a whole to close out the year, but the individual problems are still there. Shaffer is a nice piece, but today he showed why he is ideally a backup swing T. Garza still isn't getting push in the run game and the quickness that once allowed him to do so has all but left him. Olin gets a bit of a bad rap because of who he plays next to, IMHO. He could still have a couple nice years next to some big power guys, but he has lost a lot and can no longer play on an island out there and be expected to succeed as he could in the past. Omiyale still can't open holes in the run game.

I guess it's a problem if you're looking from a JA "It's not that bad they finally gelled," standpoint. However, not going into the offseason not planning on being proactive with the position, you'll see the same 90% crap we had this year. I still think this line needs a two starter turnover at the very minimum (RT and RG).