Bears to retain Lovie Smith for 7th season

balta1701-A

No word yet on coordinators, probably learn more at today's presser.

The Bears will announce at a news conference at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Halas Hall that Smith will be back for a seventh season, the third-longest tenure of any coach in franchise history, but that decision is expected to come with strings attached.

It is expected that Smith will make changes to his staff, moves that could include the removal of offensive coordinator Ron Turner. There is also a chance the Bears will seek a defensive coordinator from the outside.

Smith met with general manager Jerry Angelo and President Ted Phillips for much of Monday, and it is expected the three men will present a united front before the cameras after the team finished out of the playoffs for the third consecutive season.

"It will all be covered," team spokesman Scott Hagel said.

Angelo said in Baltimore two weeks ago that money would not factor into his decision, but his only say in the process was a recommendation to Phillips and the McCaskeys.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Sick of hearing how he led them to the SuperBowl in 06 as well. This team won in spite of him in 06. Opportunistic turnovers and a kick returner were the main reason for their success. Lovie's team preparation, defensive scheming, in game changes, discipline were nowhere to be found. After 06 you can add coaching selection to the mix.

Somebody point out where this team is better than when Lovie came here....point out where Lovie has improved??? He makes the same dam mistakes he did as a rookie head coach. The team has the same lack of accountability.

Found this interesting.

Of the 11 teams that had new head coaches this season, six improved, but all of those by just a game or two: The Colts went from 12-4 to 14-2; Kansas City, 2-14 to 4-12; Detroit, 0-16 to 2-14; Cleveland, 4-12 to 5-11; San Francisco, 7-9 to 8-8; and Seattle from 4-12 to 5-11.

Three teams saw no improvement: The Jets, although they made the playoffs; the Broncos, whose collapse to 8-8 matched last year's identically; and the Raiders, who turned in another 5-11 performance. Two teams got worse: St. Louis, which went from 2-14 to 1-15; and Tampa Bay, the biggest nose-diver, slid to 3-13 after going 9-7 last year.

In light of those dismal results, maybe keeping a John Fox in Carolina, a Gary Kubiak in Houston, a Mangini in Cleveland, a Lovie Smith in Chicago, or a Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay makes more sense than first appeared.

Very short-sighted view of things. Often new coaches need time to build up the team, especially as most new coaches enter pretty bad situations. I don't think it right to look at how new coaches did in their 1st year and decide whether or not we should make a decision based on that.

Well my hopes for a fruitful season lasted about 24 hours.. So hopefully that means we wait 1 more year for Cowher who supposedly isn't coaching this year.

I really, really don't think Cowher wants to coach anywhere but the Southeast Coast, supposedly close to where he lives. When he thought there were going to be openings in Tampa and Carolina, he was putting together a staff. Suddenly neither of those openings appears and he doesn't want to coach.

Very short-sighted view of things. Often new coaches need time to build up the team, especially as most new coaches enter pretty bad situations. I don't think it right to look at how new coaches did in their 1st year and decide whether or not we should make a decision based on that.

BUT...if the Bears make a coaching change, isn't that exactly what the fanbase, including here, seems to be demanding? This is all the fault of Lovie Smith and his schemes, and if all the Bears did was get rid of him, suddenly the team would be free of his poor coaching schemes and poor playcalling and poor motivation and they'd be a 15 win team. Yeah, there have been some murmors about drafting and player development and those would fall into the category of things you're referring to, but that's not what most of the rants about the coaching staff aim at.

But the difference is, I don't think fans would expect 15 wins next year.

That is my key point. I wanted/want a new HC, along w/ most every other coaching position on this team. I think our scheme, player development, playcalling, etc flat out sucks, both on offense and defense. If we hired a new staff, no, I would not expect SB in the first year. Hell, as bad as this team is, playoffs might be as high of a goal as we could hope. But just because I wouldn't expect SB in year one doesn't mean hiring a new coach wouldn't be the right thing to do.

You have to look more long term. I do not think Lovie Smith is the HC to lead this team out of the situation it is currently in. I think the best we can hope for w/ Lovie is mediocrity, and I want more, even if that means not improving in the short term.

BUT...if the Bears make a coaching change, isn't that exactly what the fanbase, including here, seems to be demanding? This is all the fault of Lovie Smith and his schemes, and if all the Bears did was get rid of him, suddenly the team would be free of his poor coaching schemes and poor playcalling and poor motivation and they'd be a 15 win team. Yeah, there have been some murmors about drafting and player development and those would fall into the category of things you're referring to, but that's not what most of the rants about the coaching staff aim at.