Sims

jason

I have a fanatic Seahawks fan as a good friend, and he had this to say when I talked to him tonight:

"The Offensive Line was the worst part of the team, and Sims couldn't even break into the starting lineup. He started a few games this year, but was bad when he was in the game."

Further, nearly every draft site has OL as the primary need for the Seahawks...and, yet, they want to get rid of someone?

This just doesn't pass the smell test.

"The Offensive Line was the worst part of the team, and Sims couldn't even break into the starting lineup. He started a few games this year, but was bad when he was in the game."

Everything I've read says he started 14 games last season. The Seahawks o-line sucked becauase Walter Jones missed the season.

Further, nearly every draft site has OL as the primary need for the Seahawks...and, yet, they want to get rid of someone?

Supposedly he doesn't fit with their blocking scheme. I agree this doesn't make sense. You don't get rid of good players because they don't fit your scheme.

We're not going to find a player in the draft who's immediately better. At least not in the 3rd round. What other guard or tackle is available via free agency?

Some team is going to sign Alex Brown and fans are going to wonder why the Bears let him go. The fact is he was solid, but far from great. That's how I view Sims. He's never going to be a pro-bowler but he an upgrade. I like the idea of moving Omiyale back to tackle.

Yeah, the Seahawks fans that I've talked to have said that the o-line sucked, but Sims was the best player on it, and that he's a decent starter. Seattle's front office has made some questionable moves in terms of letting guys go (see Nate Burleson) and it sounds to me like a lot of the fans want them to keep Sims.

I don't think Sims would be a standout player or anything, but even an average young starter would be a huge upgrade for the Bears' left guard spot.

Everything I've read says he started 14 games last season. The Seahawks o-line sucked becauase Walter Jones missed the season.

Weird...I see conflicting information

Pro Football Reference

I didn't watch enough of their games to know for sure...but ESPN does say he played the majority of the games.

Moot point now...he's a Lion.

Now the question continues, how do we improve the offensive line? There should be a solid guard or tackle available in the 3rd round. But you can't exactly count on an immediate impact from a rookie. The media believes that we'll be moving Omiyale to the outside spot which means Beekman will continue to be our starting LG.

I still wonder if Omiyale will be moved. Everything I have read/heard says this is a great draft for OT, both in terms of blue chip and depth, but that it is considered a pretty weak draft for OGs. That doesn't mean we can't get a good one, but simply that it may not be as likely. So, if we are sitting there and a great looking RT is available, I wonder if we won't just draft him and keep Omiyale at OG.

I am pretty disappointed in our not getting Sims. Just seemed like a perfect fit. Not only would we get an upgrade at RG, but it would also allow us to move Omiayle outside where most say he should play AND we would be better in terms of depth. Further still, while I would still look at OL in the draft, it would give us some more breathing room.

Oh well. Sort of just seems like at this point, we are going to simply wait until we see what happens in the draft before making any further moves.

Now the question continues, how do we improve the offensive line? There should be a solid guard or tackle available in the 3rd round. But you can't exactly count on an immediate impact from a rookie. The media believes that we'll be moving Omiyale to the outside spot which means Beekman will continue to be our starting LG.

I still wonder if Omiyale will be moved. Everything I have read/heard says this is a great draft for OT, both in terms of blue chip and depth, but that it is considered a pretty weak draft for OGs. That doesn't mean we can't get a good one, but simply that it may not be as likely. So, if we are sitting there and a great looking RT is available, I wonder if we won't just draft him and keep Omiyale at OG.

I am pretty disappointed in our not getting Sims. Just seemed like a perfect fit. Not only would we get an upgrade at RG, but it would also allow us to move Omiayle outside where most say he should play AND we would be better in terms of depth. Further still, while I would still look at OL in the draft, it would give us some more breathing room.

Oh well. Sort of just seems like at this point, we are going to simply wait until we see what happens in the draft before making any further moves.

I'm interested to know what Martz & Tice think of our O-line players. It's possible they really like Kevin Shaffer and upgrading the tackle position is not a priority.

Either way, to expect a 3rd round rookie lineman to contribute this season is foolish. If we drafted a tackle he'd be no more then a back-up.

If it were me, I'd move Beekman back to guard and put Omiyale in at right tackle. Martz asks his tackles to hold up in pass-protection long enough for all of his deep passing plays to develop and, for all his flaws, I think Omiyale's probably a better pass protector than Shaffer is. When Shaffer played on the left side in Cleveland (and last season before Williams took over for Pace,) he struggled a lot, whereas Omiyale was at least an adequate fill-in at left tackle in Carolina. I'd be OK with Omiyale on the right side, especially with Manumaleuna lining up next to him. And Beekman's definitely dependable and steady at left guard. He's nothing special, but he gets the job done. Williams-Beekman-Kreutz-Garza-Omiyale-Manumaleuna could be a good enough line to make Martz's deep passing game function.

I'm interested to know what Martz & Tice think of our O-line players. It's possible they really like Kevin Shaffer and upgrading the tackle position is not a priority.

Possible, but I find that a tad hard to believe. If Tice/Martz liked Shaffer so much, I don't think Angelo and Lovie would be talking about moving Omiyale to RT.

Either way, to expect a 3rd round rookie lineman to contribute this season is foolish. If we drafted a tackle he'd be no more then a back-up.

But its smart to expect a rookie FS to come in and start? So many want to draft FS with our top pick, expecting that rookie to immediately start. Why should I expect a rookie FS to start and not a RT? Frankly, i think it is harder to find a FS than a RT.

And why is it so foolish to think we can find a RT in the 3rd round that can start? Urbik, taken in the 3rd round started as a rookie. Lang, taken in the 4th, started as a rookie. That's just this past year. Is it that you don't think 3rd round rookie OL can start, or just that you don't think Angelo can find them?

Finally, I am not sure I have ever said I want to draft an OT in the 3rd simply based on an expectation he would start. As you have said, we have Shaffer who can play right now, but we can not simply draft based on who may or may not start as a rookie, but who can develop also. For too long we have neglected the OL, and the results have been obvious. We are in a great position to draft an OT this year as (a) we have a veteran who can play if the rookie is not ready right away and (B) this is supposed to be a great year for OTs in the draft.

My key point was simply not to rule out OT in the 3rd round. Most simply assume Omiyale will move to OT. I think that could very well happen, but with this draft is thought to be very god at OT but weak at OG. Thus we could very well draft an OT, and keep Omiyale at OG.

I think that is the fall back option, and would throw in Louis, who the staff really seems to like, as potential competition at OG. But as I said, i think this is the fall back option. I think the preferrence would be to try and upgrade still at either OG or OT.

What I really think we have to consider is the future of the OL as much as just 2010. You don't simply draft for that year, but for the future. Right now, IMHO, Williams is the only player who should be considered part of the long term picture. Beekman could move to OG this year, but it is likely he will play center soon enough w/ Kreutz contract up after this year. I still believe Garza is average at best, and would look worse if the players around him weren't so bad they made him look good by default. Shaffer is not part of the future. Omiyale could be, but there has been little reason to offer optimism, much less expectation.

We need to continue to add talent and youth to the OL, and no, that does not simply mean throwing a 6th or 7th round pick toward the OL. I want to win now too, but we have a franchise QB and need to think long term as well as short. We need to do what we have NEVER done w/ Angelo in charge. We need to "build" the OL and not just patch it up.

If it were me, I'd move Beekman back to guard and put Omiyale in at right tackle. Martz asks his tackles to hold up in pass-protection long enough for all of his deep passing plays to develop and, for all his flaws, I think Omiyale's probably a better pass protector than Shaffer is. When Shaffer played on the left side in Cleveland (and last season before Williams took over for Pace,) he struggled a lot, whereas Omiyale was at least an adequate fill-in at left tackle in Carolina. I'd be OK with Omiyale on the right side, especially with Manumaleuna lining up next to him. And Beekman's definitely dependable and steady at left guard. He's nothing special, but he gets the job done. Williams-Beekman-Kreutz-Garza-Omiyale-Manumaleuna could be a good enough line to make Martz's deep passing game function.