More info on Smiley

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...2372&spln=1

Justin Smiley: Dolphins to release Justin Smiley?

Justin Smiley - G - MIA - Apr. 27 - 7:45 am et

The Dolphins are considering releasing LG Justin Smiley, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

The Fins shopped Smiley throughout the draft, but couldn't even use him as a trade throw-in. The addition of third-round pick John Jerry may have sealed Smiley's fate, though we'd think his $2.9 million salary isn't too much to pay an effective, experienced backup. Smiley was not a major liability in '09. Apr. 27 - 7:45 am et

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

To me, this would solidy the offseason. To be totally honest, I hate Lovie SMith with a passion, Just his demeanor makes me sick. i want a coach who yells, laughs at the media, calls people out. He is a g-dam zombie and it pissed me off. Either way, signing Smiley would give us a huge upgrade, Regardless of how terrible Frank Omiyale is, all hes asked to do is hold up for 2-4seconds, which i have a hard time seeing him do.

Smiley would be a nice, low-cost pickup if he gets cut. He might not play a full season (he's been dinged up over the past two seasons) but he'd be an upgrade when he was in there, and I'd be fine with Beekman as a spot fill-in if Smiley misses a couple of weeks. He's pretty good in pass protection (allowed 4 sacks, 7 hits, 15 pressures in 2008-2009 combined,) and it's not like Pennington and Henne help their o-line out the way Cutler does, mobility-wise. Plus, there's no arguing that Miami has a nasty run-blocking line, and Smiley was a part of that, too.

For whatever reason, tons of teams seem to be jettisoning decent vets this offseason...I hope Miami does the same with Smiley.

Those stats aside, it seems like everything I have read about Smiley is pretty negative. There is a reason Miami was looking hard to upgrade his position, and believe a 3rd round rookie is an instant upgrade over him. If he were really expensive like Faneca, you might argue the financial side, but his contract isn't that grat.

I honestly don't know. I can't say I have really watched him play, but OL stats aside (which I would argue we know can be deceptive based on Omiyale's stats) everything I have read about this guy out of Miami simplys seems to point to a player who is simply not very good.

Smiley would be a nice, low-cost pickup if he gets cut. He might not play a full season (he's been dinged up over the past two seasons) but he'd be an upgrade when he was in there, and I'd be fine with Beekman as a spot fill-in if Smiley misses a couple of weeks. He's pretty good in pass protection (allowed 4 sacks, 7 hits, 15 pressures in 2008-2009 combined,) and it's not like Pennington and Henne help their o-line out the way Cutler does, mobility-wise. Plus, there's no arguing that Miami has a nasty run-blocking line, and Smiley was a part of that, too.

For whatever reason, tons of teams seem to be jettisoning decent vets this offseason...I hope Miami does the same with Smiley.

Those stats aside, it seems like everything I have read about Smiley is pretty negative. There is a reason Miami was looking hard to upgrade his position, and believe a 3rd round rookie is an instant upgrade over him. If he were really expensive like Faneca, you might argue the financial side, but his contract isn't that grat.

I honestly don't know. I can't say I have really watched him play, but OL stats aside (which I would argue we know can be deceptive based on Omiyale's stats) everything I have read about this guy out of Miami simplys seems to point to a player who is simply not very good.

I hear what you're saying, but the Dolphins' o-line is much, MUCH better than the Bears' - it's easy to see how the weak link on one of the league's best lines could still be an upgrade for one of the shakiest. I mean, the Dolphins are clearly shooting for the playoffs this season, what with the Marshall trade, and getting past the Pats and Jets is going to be tough. All the things I've read on Smiley have said that he's a quality starter with some injury problems, but that the Dolphins think John Jerry could be the truth. For me, the injury thing is a bigger concern than Smiley's ability: I think if he can stay healthy, he could help Chicago out.

Okay, after writing (not posting) a reply, I decided to do a bit of research first. As I said, I just don't know a ton about Smiley.

From what I read, he was "decent" and at times even solid when playing for Miami, but the team signed him knowing he was an injury risk, and that continued to prove true as he missed time each of his two seasons with Miami. In part due to a lack of confidence he can stay healthy, and in part due to not being a special enough player to warrant much patience, Miami choose to move him.

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. Injury concerns. Okay, but at the same time, we are not going to get a player at this point who doesn't come with some sort of red flag. Even if such a player hit the market, we couldn't afford him. So we have to look at damaged goods, and Smiley would seem to be in that damaged good w/ potential category.

What does still bother me is this. Miami began shopping Smiley back in March, and found no takers. Not even so much as a nibble. Miami very aggressively was trying to trade him throughout the draft, and even more aggressively after the Jerry pick in the 3rd. Supposedly his value was so low that Miami could not even use him as leverage to move up a few spots in a middle round. Simply put, no one wanted him. Unlike Brown, we are not talking about an expensive player, so I think you have to step and and wonder why no one wants him.

If he is cut, and a number of teams jump out to talk to him, then it could simply mean everyone knew he would be cut and waited. If he is cut and doesn't draw much interest, I think you have to wonder.

At this point, I would say that if he is cut and can be signed for a minimal contract (not saying vet minimum but simply cheap) than I would be all for it.

I hear what you're saying, but the Dolphins' o-line is much, MUCH better than the Bears' - it's easy to see how the weak link on one of the league's best lines could still be an upgrade for one of the shakiest. I mean, the Dolphins are clearly shooting for the playoffs this season, what with the Marshall trade, and getting past the Pats and Jets is going to be tough. All the things I've read on Smiley have said that he's a quality starter with some injury problems, but that the Dolphins think John Jerry could be the truth. For me, the injury thing is a bigger concern than Smiley's ability: I think if he can stay healthy, he could help Chicago out.

That article just says they're considering releasing him. They haven't done it yet.

I don't really know anything about Nesbit, but as far as Andrews goes, for right now I think we have to put him and Arron Sears in the same category. They both have a ton of ability, but honestly, who knows if either one will ever play again? Andrews' back has kept him out of 30 games in the past two seasons, and he's rumored to be dealing with pretty severe depression (as is Sears) on top of that. Maybe he'd benefit mentally from a change of scenery, but he didn't seem to benefit from playing with his brother and his old college linemate in Philly. The Eagles had some pretty serious o-line needs, and Andrews couldn't help them out...I don't see him helping the Bears unless he makes a pretty dramatic turnaround.

I don't know much about any of these guys, but just a couple things:

1. Nesbit turns 34 in December. If we wanted an old guard, we should have nabbed Faneca.

2. Anybody know if Chester Pitts is recovered from his injury last year?

3. Are there any other players we'd be willing to trade for salary considerations? The media is questioning why the Bears didn't just wait for Carolina to release Harris. IMO it was a $$$ trade. In order to make room for Harris we had to purge Williams 1.5 million $$$ contract.

It's interesting how new names keep arising in the hunt for guards. I know there was some speculation we'd go after a veteran safety, but I never once heard Chris Harris's name mentioned until the day the trade was made.

I thought Schaffer was in Cincy?

It was Clev, I can't remember if he was LT or RT the year that Derek Andersen had a Pro Bowl year, then the next year for some reason I'm thinking he moved LT to RT and didn't have a great year, then was released because of his cap number.

I could be wrong on him being the LT that year, going off memory, but I know he started on that line.

I thought Schaffer was in Cincy?

It was Clev, I can't remember if he was LT or RT the year that Derek Andersen had a Pro Bowl year, then the next year for some reason I'm thinking he moved LT to RT and didn't have a great year, then was released because of his cap number.

I could be wrong on him being the LT that year, going off memory, but I know he started on that line.

EDIT: I looked it up, it was annoying me. He started 16 games at LT in 2006, 16 at RT in 2007 (Anderson's pro bowl year), and 15 in 2008 at RT for Cleveland. Plus, it's Shaffer, not Schaffer, I spelled his name wrong.

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: I looked it up, it was annoying me. He started 16 games at LT in 2006, 16 at RT in 2007 (Anderson's pro bowl year), and 15 in 2008 at RT for Cleveland. Plus, it's Shaffer, not Schaffer, I spelled his name wrong.

More on Smiley: apparently the Dolphins aren't happy with his run-blocking. Miami has some seriously nasty run-blocking o-linemen (Jake Long, Vernon Carey, and now John Jerry,) so it may be that Smiley's just not up to their standards. Not having watched a lot of Dolphins games, I can't say for sure if he'd be an upgrade for the Bears' run blocking, but it's worth noting that the two teams who were reportedly interested in him (the Colts and Seahawks) haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire in the run game.