Steve Young Thinks Cutler Could be Great

scs787

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...ke-cutler-great

"Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, player or coach, but I'm hopeful that Jay Cutler decides that this is a great opportunity for him and will put the time in and the effort. I think he will. I think he has in the past but he'll really get the fruits of it if he does the boring things for the next three or four months. And he'll emerge as a much more disciplined quarterback. He's already good, and he'll be great. I hope that's the biggest change you'll see."

Boom. Cutler for MVP.

I really have enjoyed listening to Steve Young and Trent Dilfer over the last year talking about Cutler. I used to despise Dilfer until about a year ago when he realized that he wasn't anything more than average at best as an NFL quarterback. Steve always brings up Cutler's footwork, or lack there of, for how he can go from being good to great. The mechanics of quarterbacking is a tough thing to master, and when things go bad that's when the footwork goes to hell and he's throwing off his back foot or throwing it across his body into double coverage. It's those kind of things that I hope Trestman can coach out of him. He needs to make Cutler do a better job of valuing the football. If he can do that, you're talking about an MVP candidate.

funny cuz he always tries to make an ass out him on Thursday Night Games.

And now he believes that Trestman can fix the things that he was criticizing him about. I agree with him, if he learns to do the boring things like learning when to check it down and his footwork like B4E alluded to he will certainly be an MVP candidate next year. That sounds really homerish but I truly believe if Jay buys into the system he will be "Great".

I really have enjoyed listening to Steve Young and Trent Dilfer over the last year talking about Cutler. I used to despise Dilfer until about a year ago when he realized that he wasn't anything more than average at best as an NFL quarterback. Steve always brings up Cutler's footwork, or lack there of, for how he can go from being good to great. The mechanics of quarterbacking is a tough thing to master, and when things go bad that's when the footwork goes to hell and he's throwing off his back foot or throwing it across his body into double coverage. It's those kind of things that I hope Trestman can coach out of him. He needs to make Cutler do a better job of valuing the football. If he can do that, you're talking about an MVP candidate.

The weird part about Dilfer is that he loves Cutler. He's been on ESPN 1000 and has talked glowingly about him. Like you said, he's just stating facts. I think his act just grows old because he lit up Minnesota in Minnesota at night in 2010 and yet Dilfer still reemed his ass.

funny cuz he always tries to make an ass out him on Thursday Night Games.

MNF games, I think you mean.

Guest TerraTor
The weird part about Dilfer is that he loves Cutler. He's been on ESPN 1000 and has talked glowingly about him. Like you said, he's just stating facts. I think his act just grows old because he lit up Minnesota in Minnesota at night in 2010 and yet Dilfer still reemed his ass.

MNF games, I think you mean.

Believe I do