Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TalkBears Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ASHKUM BEAR

Super Fans
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by ASHKUM BEAR

  1. They may draft Shelton, and he will be a good player, but the most impactful position on the 3-4 is rush OLB. That came out of Fangio's mouth,I will find the interview and post it. If Shelton is not the BPA, he will not be our draft pick. We simply cant draft for need , that's what bad teams do. Shelton will not be the BPA at 7, no matter what you think. He is a top 15 player not a top 10. We will see what the league thinks on draft day.

    OLB may be, maybe that's why they signed McPhee when this team already had 6 capable guys slotted there. Two guys in this draft i think will be the type of OLB you want...Fowler and Dupree. Big and fast enough to not be a liability. Bad teams do have to draft for need because they have holes and the Bears are bad. You have to look at how the roster is composed and when contracts expire. Those will be the players selected. Once Pace has the holes plugged with youth, they will or can do the BPA's. Use rotoworld and make a chart of all Bears signed, when they become a FA and then you see glaring needs in a 2 year window or further. The Bears have to use the draft as their primary resource for these needs. Free agency needs to be avoided and used as a filler if the draft looks unlikely. That's why I feel trading down makes the most sense. OLB might be the best player available, but the Bears have more money at that position with only 2 guys capable of playing at once. WR? They could very well go there, I wouldn't be surprised or mind. CB or S are huge needs, but I don't see one at #7. DT or a 3-4 End is needed, C is there also. Then secondary needs RB. QB, TE, OT. Then you have your upgrade thoughts MLB etc. Well March madness and beer has me writing a book...lol

  2. Fangio also had Justin Smith on that line demanding double teams. If you have a guy like JJ Watt or Justin Smith, the necessity for a bigger guy is out the window. You NEED that 1 guy who demands double teams. and I simply don't think a 34 year old Jay Ratliff, who is years removed from playing that position is still that guy.

     

    Hell, I just read on his wikipedia page that the reason the Cowboys moved him from NT to 3-4 DE is because " there were already a worries that his size and style of play could shorten his career and talks about moving him to defensive end"

     

    I'm a firm believer in that the coaching will indeed help a lot of these guys, but I simply couldn't pass on a guy who could be the next Haloti Ngata because we already have a guy who may or may not be able to still play the position.

    I agree this D line needs a commanding player to draw doubles. Ratliff hasn't stayed healthy and that leaves Ferguson and Sutton. If they had depth, they would've cut Ratliff imo. Since DT/3-4 DE is a dire need, they will be grabbing a starting quality player in rd 1 or 2. I wouldn't be opposed with a Jordan Phillips or Carl Davis is they are there RD2.

  3. So as a new GM I'm going to spend my first pick on an injured player who is going to be behind a Pro Bowl player. That doesn't make sense to me as well as drafting a QB in round 1 if you have committed to Cutler for basically 2 years.

     

    When I started this mock thread it is with the idea that this team should strengthen the strongest unit on the team and improve the weakest. By having no knowledge of the history of Pace and Fox when it comes to drafting this is total speculation and I still believe that we should go BPA no matter what position and at the 7th pick a NT is not going to be a difference maker but a WR can get you points.

    Hard to say how they will use the draft. They could build a great offense to bring a rookie QB into with a 2016 draft pick or build a defense. I just don't think they will value a wr that high after cutting BM and signing Royal. I can see them going later in the draft since it is deep with talent.

  4. Backup TE...waaaaaaay down on the priority list.

    Didn't they re-sign that Miller guy also that lit up the preseason game that Marty was suspended for? TE becomes a bigger need next season as Bennett will be on his final year and becomes a FA after 2016. Youth will eventually be needed.

  5. No thanks on Gurley. I understand him making some sense with Forte possibly gone next season but I don't think we're in the position to draft a red shirt player in the 1R. I wouldn't hate/bash a WR/RB pick, it'd be fun, but I'd be disappointed.

     

    I am not sure he will be a redshirt player year 1. He said he is on schedule for "contact" in July according to his doctor/therapist. He also said his rehab is going very well and it is an every day process with no days off. The Bears are doing homework on him and showing interest, so it may be a possibility. Pace also stated he wants to get Chicago back to it's roots in football with running the ball and having great defenses. I'd be very disappointed if he was taken at 7, but if they can make a trade and get him 25-32, I'd be fine.

     

     

  6. I could see us doing some trading, but dont think Gurley will go that high, more of late 1st round valve. What other choices did you have at 15?

    I had the Gurley envision long ago before his acl. I think he will still be a power back that can be like an AP or Lynch. That would do wonders to a struggling O, plus Forte has one year left. If we can land a trade with NO it may be possible to grab him with their #31 pick. He may not make it that far, but if so he has top 10 talent. If we don't get a power back this year, I like Derek Henry from Alabama in the 2016 draft. He looks like a beast.

  7. Word is New Orleans was big on Cooper at the Alabama pro day. If he makes it down to #7, we should pull the trigger on a trade. #7 & #39 for #13, #31, 3-#75, and a 2016 3rd RD pick.

    Here is a way it can go

    1-13 Danny Shelton DT-Bears interviewed twice. Need for a d lineman that commands double teams

    1-31 Todd Gurley RB-Bears showed strong interest at pro day. Has the AP type power run

    3-71 Ron Darby CB-Aggresive cover corner

    3-75 Cody Prewitt FS- Taller S could use some polishing

    4-103 Tyler Lockett WR - Speed WR/Return man. Eventually replace Royal

    5-134 Cedric Reed DE - size can play 3-4 end

    6-166 Jake Ryan LB -

     

    2016

    1-Hackleberg QB

    2-OT

    3-TE

    3-WR

    4-SS

  8. Remember when people bitched their ass off because we drafted CB last year? Now you want another one. String him up! Lol, if he's a good one, I'm for it!

    I'd love to trade down and land Trae Waynes. Premium positions are QB OLT DE CB.

  9. I could live with that over the drafttek mock that was posted, but I still think ya gotta go with a defensive player in the 1R. The only thing I have a problem with is IF they really think of Houston as an OLB, then another lineman early is a must. I could live with Houston-Ratliff-Ego, but when we start talking about Sutton and especially Allen as starters on the line, that's where I get a bit iffy.....Of course Houstons position is all apart of the unknown, but ya.

     

    I think we will see some bizarre alignments with McPhee and Houston. Imagine they will play both DE and OLB at anytime. One will move up and drop his hand in the dirt and the other play LB.

     

     

  10. Sorry to say this but Groy sucked

    Undrafted fa forced into the starting line up due to injuries and he outplayed Mills... which doesn't say much. Groy played LG but is more suited as the road grading RG with his size. I wouldn't give up on him already.

  11. http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/124...injury-concerns

     

    Tough decision Borland had to make and this will hurt the 49ers even more after Willis and Smith just retired. I respect his decision and hope he has no long term health affects. This will be another red flag on an issue that gets pushed aside in the NFL. I know it is not Bear related, but many of us here talked about this kid before the draft and his success his rookie year.

  12. They need as many good players as they can get. I wouldn't call the potential drop off from 7 to 13 elite to decent either. There should still be a pretty good player at 13. Trading down to 13 they can still possibly get Shelton or Waynes, 2 guys they could really use.

    If we can get Shelton at 13, then yes that would be exceptional. If we can get both Shelton and Armstead I'd be very happy.

  13. What do the Bears need? An elite superstar or two extra decent starters. That is the question. If we can trade down and still get Shelton, who would be an anchor for 4-8 years, then yes. I would take Shelton at 7, because the OLB guys are suspect without studs on the line taking the oline out. This D needs a NT and one good 5T DE before OLBs can explode. Next years first will be about a 13-17 pick, expect a QB to be taken. With all the OLB we have, one can strike lighting....Shea? The guy is getting his natural position and on his make or break season. Whatever the Bears do, they need good players. Take the best and cross your fingers.

  14. I think moving Marshall has to do with the owners not wanting him as part of the organization. It was stated before the Pace hire that BM was not going to be a Bear much longer by an inside source of Terry Boers on the score.

     

    I think the Bears brass got tired of BM being the face of the franchise and they had no way to take the spotlight away from him.

     

     

     

     

     

  15. Based on the way you two reacted I thought there'd be something significant here. This is almost a nothing comment. Now, I'm SURE we'll hear Brandon go off in the future but this just didn't get me nearly as pissed as I thought it would. Just wait.

     

    LOL! Brandon said what? Oh wait, he was only saying more truth. Truth hurts and then BM throws salt on it.

     

     

  16. The difference being Borland was the 49ers 4th pick, and the 49ers were fresh off a 12-4 season. Meaning they didn't really have holes to fill. They went with Jimmy Ward in the 1st round, a guy that many here had us drafting in the 2nd, or as this article I'm reading now says "this could be considered a bit of a reach in some circles". But ya, you're right, good teams take BPA...The Bears right now are still not a good team. They need to add a CB, at least 1 impact DLineman, and depending on what happens with Foster/Parker, an ILB and safety.

     

    SF had the most picks last year also with 12, which helps when you have been good. The Bears haven't had all of their picks since like 2009 and have been bad nearly the whole time.

     

     

  17. I'm SHOCKED by this. He was asking for 5 years, 8-9 million. His being out of shape apparently hurt him. This is one of those deals where the Bears never had any real intention of signing him. If we wanted him, we could have had him easily.

    Which I am not offended by. Fox had the inside knowledge and we didn't pursue too hard. We probably offered him more and gave him a timeline so we can pursue Rolle/Royal and he held out for more.

  18. Just read we have 8 mil to spend after the rookie allegation, no more big contracts in the future unless we cut Forte.

    Or restructure Jay again....

    Hopefully we get Parker at FS and then take a chill until draft.

  19. Who's Best Player? And who determines the rankings? What if every year when we draft, a WR is the best player available at the time. Do you keep selecting WRs because Kiper has that player as his BPA at our pick? You have to use need in the approach also. The draft is a crap shoot anyhow, a guy may excel in college and crumble in the pros.

  20. I'm trying to remember, were we saying something similar last season after signing Lamar Houston, Willie Young, Ryan Mundy, and Jared Allen?

     

    On a side note, while that free agent class was underwhelming, how's Lovie Smith doing as GM? His was even worse.

    Hope is a seller!

     

    Btw, Lovie just inked Conte, so here's to hope and Lovies 3rd Rd S projects

  21. Agreed. Right now I feel like the nose tackle is a glaring weakness. We sign Pot Roast and we could go any direction. Safety, cornerback, linebacker, o-line, quarterback . . . (I'm still ruling out WR but I wouldn't stake my life on it.)

    Sign Pot Roast and my attention turns to Trae Waynes CB.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.