NFC Norris Division

adam

The 6-4 Detroit Lions are in 1st place with a +6 in net points. Minnesota looks a shell of their former self, and GB at 4-6 is laughable.

At 2-8, we are obviously out of playoff contention, especially considering we have 13 players on IR, plus Miller from last night. Sitton and Floyd also left with injuries, while Massie, Urein, and Hall were out. That does not include Callahan, Porter, McPhee, Goldman, Young, Wilson, and Royal who are all nursing injuries and may miss time as well.

My question to you all is, are we being too hard on the team/coaches/management for this debacle? Did our expectations of improvement mask the fact that we have the most injuries in the league? I believe we now have the most on IR (14) in the NFL. SD has 13 and is 4-6 and is last in their division and will also miss the playoffs.

I was thinking the defense was the problem, but we have scored the 2nd lowest amount of points in the league at 157 (only LA has less at 149). So we are 8 pts from being the worst scoring team in the league. Even the Browns have scored more than us. Can you imagine if we were just league average (230 pts)? That would be 73 more pts, or a TD per game, we would be a 5-5 team right now and only one game back of the Division lead.

Valid question. And it's why I don't really think Fox should be blamed. The Bears were already hurting on talent. But missing that many guys basically means he's coaching a team full of guys who are close to being out of the NFL. Sure, there are a few bright spots here and there, but that's pretty difficult to overcome.

The only people in Chicago who should be in the spotlight are those who have been drafting. For years. And years. And years.

That is a really good point; to be honest I would hate to see Fox go now as it would automatically mean more "rebuilding". Start over from ground zero again.

If we even had half of the injuries we have had, who knows what we might have done. Maybe it would not have meant that much, but I am inclined to think that it could have made a significant difference.

The big question for next year is Cutler IMO. We have to decide what we are doing at the QB position.

I also think the Bears should take a long look at any possible training/conditioning/rehab or any other possible reasons for all of the injuries. It might be a coincidence, but maybe not.

That is a really good point; to be honest I would hate to see Fox go now as it would automatically mean more "rebuilding". Start over from ground zero again.

If we even had half of the injuries we have had, who knows what we might have done. Maybe it would not have meant that much, but I am inclined to think that it could have made a significant difference.

The big question for next year is Cutler IMO. We have to decide what we are doing at the QB position.

I also think the Bears should take a long look at any possible training/conditioning/rehab or any other possible reasons for all of the injuries. It might be a coincidence, but maybe not.

I don't think that's a very big question at all. Regardless of who they decide to go with next year, the Bears would be criminally stupid if they didn't draft a QB in the first four rounds next year.

I don't think that's a very big question at all. Regardless of who they decide to go with next year, the Bears would be criminally stupid if they didn't draft a QB in the first four rounds next year.

I can't see any scenario where Cutler is back. There would be no point to pay him that much in another build year.

I can't see any scenario where Cutler is back. There would be no point to pay him that much in another build year.

I wouldn't be sure about that. The Bears will have plenty of cap with Cutler. The Bears went through 3 QBs this season, look at how many Cleveland has gone through and the rest of the NFL(Rothlisberger, Luck, Smith, Bridgewater, Garapolo, Palmer, Romo, all missed games) If Pace/Fox think Cutler will spoil the drafted QB, then it is possible. The only other way would be trading him and it has to be for decent value, like a 3rd minimum. We want to move on, but doing so just for that reason could be a huge mistake.

I wouldn't be sure about that. The Bears will have plenty of cap with Cutler. The Bears went through 3 QBs this season, look at how many Cleveland has gone through and the rest of the NFL(Rothlisberger, Luck, Smith, Bridgewater, Garapolo, Palmer, Romo, all missed games) If Pace/Fox think Cutler will spoil the drafted QB, then it is possible. The only other way would be trading him and it has to be for decent value, like a 3rd minimum. We want to move on, but doing so just for that reason could be a huge mistake.

Sure they have the cap space, but just because you have it, doesn't mean you need to waste it. From the comments in the offseason, this was the last year to evaluate Cutler, and by all accounts (like the rest of team for the most part) has been a failure.

Only Fitzpatrick, Keenum and Osweiler have been worse that Cutler (for QBs with at least 5 games and 1000 yards passing). That is saying a lot, especially with him playing worse than almost all CLE QB's and SF QB's.

You only pay a guy north of $15 million if you believe you have a shot at the playoffs with him. Cutler had one good game (not even a great game) this year, and 4 mediocre to horrible games. He had INTs in 4 out of 5 games, and turns the ball over once every 20 plays. You can't win with that, you just can't. For all his physical skills, he has never shown that he has it upstairs. Is he tough, sure, strong-armed, yep, but he just doesn't have the processing power to digest defenses and schemes on the fly.

At this point, I think bringing him back in any capacity would be a mistake. I think you go with Hoyer and Shaw (who should both improve with some continuity) and draft one in the first or second. Use the available salary cap resources to bring in one or two more guys on each side of the ball.

I'm not sure any team, other than perhaps Cleveland, would trade a 3rd for him. That would be nice though. Keeping him around at this point would be a mistake.