LeBlanc putting up elite numbers

DABEARSDABOMB

So I am sure all of us have heard by now about how Cre'von LeBlanc has been absolutely dominating practices since the Bears picked him up from the Patriots (especially in the takeaway department) and we all know about his pick six in last weeks game, but some analytics point out that his actual production the past 4 weeks has been "elite". Thought it was an interesting read and I've definitely seen a lot of positives out of him (not to say he hasn't had some rookie mistakes as well). Given the major need in the secondary, would be huge turn LeBlanc into a starting corner or better yet a well above average corner.

I know I have seen some recent gripes on here about our DB coach, Donatel, but he is widely regarded as one of the best in the business and like Fangio has done for this entire defense, I'm impressed what Donatel has gotten out of such an unknown group of defensive backs (none of which have been high picks...with the exception of Fuller who is finally back from injury).

Slowly but surely Cre'Von LeBlanc is making himself a household name for Chicago Bears fans.

His signing before the start of the regular season seemed like an after thought following his release from the New England Patriots, mostly because the Patriots rarely ever let talented players go.

LeBlanc did not appear in Chicago's first two games before playing 32 of the team's 68 snaps against the Dallas Cowboys. He saw a jump in his snaps in the next three games before earning his first career start in Week 7 against the Green Bay Packers. He recorded seven tackles and two pass deflections that night.

Since Week 7 he has been one of the team's starters on the outside at cornerback. He has been far from perfect in his first 11 career games, but he has been one of the league's best in the last four weeks.

According to Pro Football Focus, LeBlanc has allowed an NFL-low 30.5 quarterback rating among all cornerbacks who have played at least 25 percent of their team's snaps on defense. His strong performance in the last four weeks ranks ahead San Diego's Casey Hayward, Denver Chris Harris Jr. and Tennessee's Brice McCain.

During the last four games he has allowed just eight catches on 17 targets for 56 yards and one interception.

A four-week span is a limited sample size, but his play in recent weeks should give Bears fans hope for the future at the position. He is not physically imposing, but he plays aggressively and doesn't let his physicality take him out of a play. He can jam receivers at the line of scrimmage and continue to run with them stride for stride down the field.

LeBlanc is not one of the league's elite cornerbacks, but he is setting himself on the right track to establishing himself as a young building block on a ever-improving Bears defense.

So I am sure all of us have heard by now about how Cre'von LeBlanc has been absolutely dominating practices since the Bears picked him up from the Patriots (especially in the takeaway department) and we all know about his pick six in last weeks game, but some analytics point out that his actual production the past 4 weeks has been "elite". Thought it was an interesting read and I've definitely seen a lot of positives out of him (not to say he hasn't had some rookie mistakes as well). Given the major need in the secondary, would be huge turn LeBlanc into a starting corner or better yet a well above average corner.

I know I have seen some recent gripes on here about our DB coach, Donatel, but he is widely regarded as one of the best in the business and like Fangio has done for this entire defense, I'm impressed what Donatel has gotten out of such an unknown group of defensive backs (none of which have been high picks...with the exception of Fuller who is finally back from injury).

Would be nice if we got a quality corner for next to nothing; our first round pick, Fuller, is looking like he is ready for the scrap heap.

I don't see him as an outside CB. He's just too slow for the deep coverage. His quickness and instincts make him a good fit inside covering the slot. What's amazing to me is that even when he's on the outside he always competes hard. I like Callahan a lot as well but he's also best utilized covering the slot WRs when he's healthy. I see a tough competition among these two in camp next year. Both are good enough to be backups for the outside CB position covering a #2 WR.

If we put one stud CB in this group, and with a little good health we could easily have some solid depth at DB. Porter is ok for next year covering a #2 WR but he could give way Fuller, or to someone like Hall. There's a couple youngsters on the practice squad that showed some flashes too: Bausby, Jacoby Glenn. Among those 4 names I think we will have a good #2 CB next year. When I say stud CB I mean stud as in Pro Bowl caliber.

I have zero problems with the work Donatel has done since he arrived. He and Fangio will not keep a player out on the field if they aren't performing well despite draft/contract status.

I don't see him as an outside CB. He's just too slow for the deep coverage. His quickness and instincts make him a good fit inside covering the slot. What's amazing to me is that even when he's on the outside he always competes hard. I like Callahan a lot as well but he's also best utilized covering the slot WRs when he's healthy. I see a tough competition among these two in camp next year. Both are good enough to be backups for the outside CB position covering a #2 WR.

If we put one stud CB in this group, and with a little good health we could easily have some solid depth at DB. Porter is ok for next year covering a #2 WR but he could give way Fuller, or to someone like Hall. There's a couple youngsters on the practice squad that showed some flashes too: Bausby, Jacoby Glenn. Among those 4 names I think we will have a good #2 CB next year. When I say stud CB I mean stud as in Pro Bowl caliber.

I have zero problems with the work Donatel has done since he arrived. He and Fangio will not keep a player out on the field if they aren't performing well despite draft/contract status.

Wish there was a way to utilize Fuller, whether at CB, FS, or in a trade. Coaching stability is a must, because we cannot keep changing schemes. Still have a handful of players left over from the Mel Tucker cover who era (haven't forgotten have we lol) that have another year before we flush....Fuller, Sutton, Fergusan. Sutton is by far the best in that class for defensive players.