Bears 2019 Draft Class

ASHKUM BEAR

After signing HHCD and Skrine, the only starter that would not be returning in 2019 was RB, and we addressed that with Montgomery. If you have not seen some of the videos, this guy is not only a great player, but a super high character guy. Our RBs are the new Run DMC: Davis-Montgomery-Cohen. Then you add Whyte to that group and you have a pretty diverse backfield. Whyte can also return kicks.

Ridley was definitely a BPA signing, and I love it when we can do that. Just think of what our WR Corps looked like a few years ago. We now have Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Ridley, Wims, Hall, and Patterson. 

Shelley dropped due to an injury, but he is not a 6th round talent. He could easily make the team and push for the Slot CB position. Denmark is a physical freak who was converted recently. I see him being stashed on the PS.

Overall, it's hard to complain with getting Montgomery and Ridley (both top 50 prospects) without a pick in the top 70, and then getting Shelley as well. Looks like we got 3 players that could help right away.

I think we came away from the draft with at least 2 future starters in Montgomery and Ridley.  Likely a 3rd in Shelley.   

I really think Denmark becomes at least a special teams coverage ace for us but he appears to have the tools to become a solid starting CB.  It's always hard to say when he's only gone against lower level competition and played CB for a year.  However, I wonder if coaches will try him out at safety because he closes and hits like one.  If he's not quick enough to cover NFL WRs he certainly should be able to cover TEs and RBs.   He and EJack could be one heck of a safety combination. 

Whyte will likely always be a depth player.  

Overall the talent acquisition was very good considering the late picks.  By that I mean these are all players who have the physical talent to play in the NFL (i.e. no Mizzell's here).  I expected to see a TE taken somewhere and Nauta was on the board in the 7th and we passed on him for Whyte.  Same with Oline but maybe they like Coward more than we know.