Starting the cut down

AZ54

It's been one preseason game and one training camp in the books, and Emanuel Hall already ejected.  I see two players on the bubble that, barring injury I don't think they make the 53.  Kwiatkoski looked slow while Kevin Pierre-Louis looked good.  Maybe he was out of position on occasion but he stayed with plays and showed more ability to recover than Kwit.  I think he makes the roster and we go with Smith, Trevathan, Iggy, and KPL.  

Braunecker.   It's not so much that he's done anything wrong rather it's that Bunting showed he can threaten the deep middle of the field in a much better way.   Knowing the injury issues Shaheen has and the fact they asked Sowell to slim down and compete with him it seems clear we'll keep both of them.   That leaves a backup to Burton and this is where Braunecker doesn't fit ...something that was painfully obvious in the playoff game.  Bunting looks like a much better fit backing up Burton.  

Bunting is up and down.

I have this crazy idea that Patterson will play some tight end. Burton isn't the world's most dominant run blocker - Patterson is probably better and scarier than Burton a a receiving TE.

I truly think, and this is my own pet theory, that Patterson will play some TE, and defenses will melt.

When you sub in Robinson, Miller, Patterson, Montgomery and Cohen, you gotta wonder whether youre about to see power I, 5 wide or anything in between. So no matter who you put in youre gonna be wrong. Go nickel or dime, and Patterson plays TE, blocking a DB instead of a LB, Montgomery is the fullback and Cohen carries. Keep your LBs in and Cohen and Patterson become slot receivers with Montgomery as the single back.

It's ridiculously scary.

Or imagine Robinson, Miller, Patterson, Burton and Montgomery. Is that 4 wide? Or heavy power running with patterson or montgmoery blocking for the other? Imagine the screen options youd have.

Patterson is gonna give them insane flexibility. And the talent they have is crazy,

If Trubisky plays well, we will be unstoppable.

Not much changed for me after watching the 2nd game although Kwit was back to his usual self in run support but remained his usual self in pass coverage.   Nobody else really stepped up at ILB so that might be helping Kwit's cause.     

Whatever workouts Kylie Fitts was doing have seemingly cost him all of his lateral movement quickness.  He has enough strength to hold the edge and unfortunately that's about all he does even in pass rush mode.  Irving hasn't impressed me at all, and to be fair he didn't impress me much last year either.  Like Fitts he is more or less a straight line player with little bend to his game.  I can see Pace keeping an eye on cuts to find some OLB help but decent edge talent rarely hits the market at this time.  

Game 3 will tell us who the likely bottom roster guys are.   Will Nall get the start at RB or will it be Whyte?   

well according to the Bears site, Burton and Patterson are both 6' 2" and 238 pounds.

Other sites say Patterson has been 228 and he was 220 at the combine, but who knows?

Also, if Patterson signals a pass play, then Patterson is blocking a DB not a LB, so I dont see the problem!