Compensatory picks

50england50

Can someone explain what the Bears are doing wrong with getting compensatory picks. Is it purely down the the team drafting poorly or do we do something wrong in free agency that affects us getting picks. Is it we waive players early instead of waiting for them to hit free agency and sign with another team. 

If I was the owner this would be an area that I would try to manipulate. I may be wrong but teams like the Patriots, Raven’s and Steelers always seem to gain extra picks. 

We finally got some after a long drought, and we are set to get some more next year. Essentially if you lose a player to free agency (not cut or waived), and that player signs elsewhere for a decent amount, you get a comp pick. However, if you sign someone else's free agent, you end up negating the one you got from losing a player. So the Bears have been signing as many free agents as they have been losing for years.

However, Pace had a new approach this offseason. He acquired pretty much every player this offseason without risking a comp pick loss: Graham, Harris, Foles, Burns, Roberson, Mingo, Spriggs, Ifedi, and Lucas. I believe (correct me if I am wrong), but Quinn is the only acquisition that will count against comp picks next year (negating the comp pick for Kwit leaving). However, the Bears will get comp picks for HHCD, Williams, Daniel, and KPL (3 6th rounders and a 7th).

This is also a determining factor in Trubisky's 5th year option. Just because QB salaries are so inflated, they normally get a higher comp pick rating. Mariota got a 5th round comp, so depending on what happens this year, Trubisky is either sticking around as QB1 or the Bears are getting a comp pick in 2022.

4 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Can someone explain what the Bears are doing wrong with getting compensatory picks. Is it purely down the the team drafting poorly or do we do something wrong in free agency that affects us getting picks. Is it we waive players early instead of waiting for them to hit free agency and sign with another team. 

If I was the owner this would be an area that I would try to manipulate. I may be wrong but teams like the Patriots, Raven’s and Steelers always seem to gain extra picks. 

It really goes back to the end of the Lovie era.  His players were old, high priced, and departing.  Emery came in to rebuild, which he really didnt draft bad, I'd even say better than Pace.   Since the cupboard was bare and they both had failure both in FA and the draft, players never finished out their contracts or weren't worthy of resigning. It took a while, but I think Pace finally gets it. At least partially. Why? Because he is signing more players to one year prove it deals and players that were cut.  Those can be quick comp picks, kinda cheating the system if you think about it. Now if he can nail more sure 1st or 2nd round picks, he may become a keeper. Next draft will be the test if he needs a QB and OT.  At least the draft looks rich at OT.