An Ideal (but probably unrealistic) offseason

McGowan

I think Hardy and Doucet could be great 5-7 years into their NFL careers, so you may be able to put them under the category "STUDS" but other then those 2, all the rest look like they could be good, solid WRs for whatever teams pick them up.

If these two guys are potential studs I would certainly hope it would not take them 5-7 years to establish themselves. Many a career in the NFL does not even last that long.

{quote} and {/quote} using Brackets intead of braces.

I apologize if it irked you unreasonably. ;)

No apologies, of coarse. As I said, I probably misunderstood it. Regardless, assumptions away.....

Well then don't write it off. Obviously, it would be silly for a GM to enter a draft without being willing to do that, but without knowing which players would fall, you can't really project what would be reasonable or not without a different scenario for every player in the draft. That being said, if it's at a position where we are already strong, the falling player could make a great opportunity to trade down.

That's the thing. I do not believe we are "already strong" at many positions. CB, TE and DE are the closest thing I would point to. No to DT due to Harris' injuries and soon to be FA status, and no other DTs on the roster proven. LB might have been in the past, but Urlacher showed a human potential for injury and we are not proven after Briggs. On offense, what is a strength, other than TE? So while there are times I might agree, in general right now, I think we need to just take a bunch of BPA's, w/ a keen eye toward certain positions. I just do not think we are strong enough at most positions to try and draft for a small grouping of needs.

I dunno about letting Griese go. He's awesome for a backup. I think HIS numbers would have been much better if our oline was better and if the defense didn't keep making him play from behind.

I think you misunderstand me. I like Griese. Heck, I think he is the best QB on our roster, though that doesn't say too much. But he is a very expensive backup, particularly if he is seen as a #3, which is possible if we re-sign Rex and want to look at Orton. If we re-sign Rex, we will have a battle between Rex and Orton for the start, and I think Griese is #3. If Rex is not re-signed, I think we see a battle between Orton and Griese, w/ a rookie on the bench.

Ok. But please not in the 2nd. I'm hoping for us to get our LG of the future there.

Well, Faneca is my #1 FA priority. Yes, I know he will not be cheap. Yes, I know he isn't a kid anymore. Regardless, he is my top priority.

Faneca just turned 31. That is not young, but not as old as some others. He is not just a pro bowler, but arguably one of the best in the game. He is also not only a veteran, but a leader. In my ideal world, we draft a LT. What better way to help a rookie LT develop than to put him next to a veteran like Faneca. McKinnie was considered a very good, young LT, but it wasn't until after adding Hutchinson that he was considered elite. Drafting Clady, Otah or Baker, and put him next to Faneca and Kreutz, and we might have a trio like McKinnie/Hutch/Birk.

OG is still a player I would not mind at all drafting, even w/ Faneca. I have never been that impressed w/ Garza, and believe we can never have too much OL talent.

If we keep Berrian, I'm against drafting a WR before our 2nd 3rd rounder.

But many have talked about tagging Berrian. If we do that, then we are only renting him for a year. That means we still have little for the future, and drafting a WR may be just as important as if we do not keep Berrian at all. If we sign Berrian long term, I still am not sure that takes WR out of our plans. Moose is nearly done. In fact, I might argue he would be considered for cutting if we were not so thin at WR anyway. Hester is the best ever return man, but we have no clue if he will ever be more. Bradley has done so little, and seems to always be in the coach's dog house, that I don't think we should be counting on him much either. Anyone else to discuss. The reality is, w/ or w/o Berrian, we are thin at WR. WR is a need more than you may be willing to admit.

My point is: someone is going to have to pay him too much money. I don't want that someone to be us. I say, be smart, spend and draft wisely, and plan for a SB run in 2010...

Johnson is not going to get big money. He's been getting attention like a 2 and will get paid like one. He many not be the number one receiver we are looking for but he would compliment all of the speed receivers that we have on this team.

The Bears are weak at both lines .. they need to spend the first three rounds addressing this issue.

I would love to see them resign Grossman, but I would give Orton the starting job based on his last three game performance. I still don't think he has done anything to lose the job since 2005.

As for a late round running back ... look at Cory Boyd from South Carolina. The guy just loves to play running back. He has great hands, decent speed, blocks well and drags tacklers. I live in SC and have been very impressed with him. The guy has so much heart it is amazing. He should be there for the taking round 4 or 5.

We need to improve most positions by free agency if possible. I am for getting proven young free agents if possible. I would trade draft picks if necessary.

I agree with most of what is said on this thread .... With our offensive line, it is hard to evaluate running backs or quarterbacks. Can you imagine Tom Brady or Peyton Manning with our line? Look at Peyton when he came in the league, he was running for his life and throwing interception after interception. Rex has looked good when he has the time, but poor when he is hurried ... which is like every other qb in the league.

I have also watched Andre Woodsen a lot this year and am NOT for drafting him. He would be a first or second round pick and that is only because of the weak QB class this year.