So where do we spend out money?

bradjock

As always, thanks again Loyd Thomas for your brilliant cap insight. Oustanding.

As per LT, cutting Darwin Walker saved us 6,350,000 (I double checked that and much to my surprise, my commas are in the correct spot.)

Dumping Fred Miller netted another 3,404,560.

Alas Moose only saved us 100,000 (My wife will no longer have to ask, "Why are they booing?")

Before this, our free cap space was 22,490,133.

Arch will eventually cut, rounding up (and being to lazy to use the calculator, that leaves us with approximately 32 million to spend. Wow. (Thanks again LT)

So where do we spend our money?

As always, thanks again Loyd Thomas for your brilliant cap insight. Oustanding.

As per LT, cutting Darwin Walker saved us 6,350,000 (I double checked that and much to my surprise, my commas are in the correct spot.)

Dumping Fred Miller netted another 3,404,560.

Alas Moose only saved us 100,000 (My wife will no longer have to ask, "Why are they booing?")

Before this, our free cap space was 22,490,133.

Arch will eventually cut, rounding up (and being to lazy to use the calculator, that leaves us with approximately 32 million to spend. Wow. (Thanks again LT)

So where do we spend our money?

Re-sign Berrian, Briggs, and Grossman. Sign an FA OL. Extend Hester. Sign Booker. Sign Hamlin.

LT2 :cheers

Since when is $32 million enough for Hamlin, Booker, Hester, OL, Rex, Briggs, and Berrian? I hope that was sarcasm...

He asked where to spend the money, so I listed some choices. It is highly unlikely that we would be able to execute them all without other cuts (Griese, Arch, etc). However, depending on how things are structured, it is not impossible that all of these could happen, but definitely unlikely.

I think the smiley guys toasting drinks, w/ a comment to Lt2, was indication he was being sarcastic.

Oh ok, well here's my "where to spend the money".

Faneca- 5 years, $40 million

Berrian- 5 years, $32 million

Rex- 1 year, $2 million

Booker- 2 years, $7 million

If we keep Arch and Griese, then this will give us about $13 million or so room left of cap space to sign our draftees.

Dan Snyder could find a way to get it done. So could I.

Hamlin, Booker, Hester, OL, Rex, Briggs, and Berrian

- Hamlin gets $25m/7yr including $10m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $1.4 cap hit.

- Booker gets $21m/7yr including $3.5m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $1.2 cap hit.

- Hester gets $35m/7yr including $14m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $2.7 cap hit.

- Faneca gets $60m/7yr including $17.5m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $3.3 cap hit.

- Briggs gets $70m/7yr including $24.4m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $4.2 cap hit.

- Berrian gets $35m/7yr including $14m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $2.7 cap hit.

- Rex (here is the hard one). Basically going to have to be a one year deal, but structured so his agent looks good. So the press will talk about the $70m/7yr deal w/ $10m in potential bonus money. What it really is, is a one year deal for the vet minimum and a $3m roster bonus, and a $7m 2nd year roster bonus. He will never see that 2nd bonus or the rest of his base salary, so his cap hit is around $3.7m for the one year.

So for all those players, total cap hit for '08 is $19.3m. Just under $20m. Heck, we have money to spare.

I'm not buying it. Dan Snyder would have extended Archuletta's contract. :)

I agree there's a lot of money to go around and if JA and his capologist continue as they've done in the past they will spread out the hit with a few roster bonuses due in years 2 and 3 for some of the contracts.

I'm not buying it. Dan Snyder would have extended Archuletta's contract. :)

I agree there's a lot of money to go around and if JA and his capologist continue as they've done in the past they will spread out the hit with a few roster bonuses due in years 2 and 3 for some of the contracts.

Don't forget...the league is on tap for an uncapped year coming up here pretty soon, aren't they?

Just from memory, last year's cap space for the Bears was enough to franchise Briggs, pay to bring in Walker, Archuleta, and to write extensions for Vasher and Tillman. Pretty sure the Bears have quite a bit more room this year than they had last year.

Dan Snyder could find a way to get it done. So could I.

Hamlin, Booker, Hester, OL, Rex, Briggs, and Berrian

- Hamlin gets $25m/7yr including $10m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $1.4 cap hit.

- Booker gets $21m/7yr including $3.5m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $1.2 cap hit.

- Hester gets $35m/7yr including $14m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $2.7 cap hit.

- Faneca gets $60m/7yr including $17.5m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $3.3 cap hit.

- Briggs gets $70m/7yr including $24.4m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $4.2 cap hit.

- Berrian gets $35m/7yr including $14m bonus w/ 1st year vet min. $2.7 cap hit.

- Rex (here is the hard one). Basically going to have to be a one year deal, but structured so his agent looks good. So the press will talk about the $70m/7yr deal w/ $10m in potential bonus money. What it really is, is a one year deal for the vet minimum and a $3m roster bonus, and a $7m 2nd year roster bonus. He will never see that 2nd bonus or the rest of his base salary, so his cap hit is around $3.7m for the one year.

So for all those players, total cap hit for '08 is $19.3m. Just under $20m. Heck, we have money to spare.

It's funny, I was going to do this same thing, but I thought it was unheard of and that I'd get bashed for it.

1 problem- I don't think 7 years, $25 million will be enough for Hamlin, and I think 7 years for Faneca is 2 years too much.

If this did happen, I might cream myself. :pray :pray :pray

Yes, both of them are. Berrian, interestingly enough, seems to put up numbers on Stallworth's level and is vastly healthier in most years.

Stallworth is restricted, but rumors out of Boston say he could be cut. However, if you want him as your #1, you're out of your mind.

Berrian will have a 1100 yard season this year, you watch. It took Steve Smith 3 years before he got 1000, so patience is the key.

Um, it was a joke. You understand that, right? Snyder might try something like that, but I would not.

Re: Hamlin, I have no clue what he will cost.

Re: Faneca, since he would never see the final two years, it would not matter. 7 years is simply a way to fluff the deal.

Um, it was a joke. You understand that, right? Snyder might try something like that, but I would not.

Re: Hamlin, I have no clue what he will cost.

Re: Faneca, since he would never see the final two years, it would not matter. 7 years is simply a way to fluff the deal.

Yeah, I forgot the greeeeeen, just like you did. And I also knew what you meant by giving Alan the 7 year deal.

Yes, both of them are. Berrian, interestingly enough, seems to put up numbers on Stallworth's level and is vastly healthier in most years.

Yet, Berrian wants to get paid like he's an all pro WR or something. :rolleyes:

Don't forget...the league is on tap for an uncapped year coming up here pretty soon, aren't they?

Just from memory, last year's cap space for the Bears was enough to franchise Briggs, pay to bring in Walker, Archuleta, and to write extensions for Vasher and Tillman. Pretty sure the Bears have quite a bit more room this year than they had last year.

If we tag anyone, I would think it would be Berrian. Not that I think Berrian is a #1, but he is one of the better (if not the best) FA wr's out there. He will be grossly overpaid wherever he signs as a FA. The franchise tag would allow us to keep him for one more year and then hopefully sort out our debacle at the wr position.