The Bears Cap status?

ASHKUM BEAR

Does anyone have an idea what our cap space is like now? With Rex, Des, A.Brown signed and Orton, Berrian(hopefully) soon to follow we can't have an awful lot left for a big FA signing like Faneca/Bell/Scott(OG's). The rookie pool will also cost about 5 million.

LT or NFO please help :pray

It's hard to say since there haven't ben many details published. I'm pretty sure Rex costs $5 mil as the incentives are probably LTBE and Clark probably costs us an extra $650kish due to his $2 mil signing bonus, but I've heard no useful details on Brown. I'd guess he costs another $1 mil roughly from his signing bonus unless they upped his next year's salary too. I'd ball park it at $23 million available not counting rookies.

It's hard to say since there haven't ben many details published. I'm pretty sure Rex costs $5 mil as the incentives are probably LTBE and Clark probably costs us an extra $650kish due to his $2 mil signing bonus, but I've heard no useful details on Brown. I'd guess he costs another $1 mil roughly from his signing bonus unless they upped his next year's salary too. I'd ball park it at $23 million available not counting rookies.

I thought Rex's deal topped out at around $3 Mil if he met his incentives? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. $30 Mil ion cap space sure doesn't get you what it used to.

I think it was reported $1.5m base, $1.5m bonus (so it's a $3m hit regardless of bonus or base) and up to $2m in incentives. As Lt2 said, it would not be a surprise if those incentives were written in as LTBE, so we would take the $2m cap hit this year, and any amount he does not meet would credit next years cap.

Does anyone have an idea what our cap space is like now? With Rex, Des, A.Brown signed and Orton, Berrian(hopefully) soon to follow we can't have an awful lot left for a big FA signing like Faneca/Bell/Scott(OG's). The rookie pool will also cost about 5 million.

LT or NFO please help :pray

It all depends on upfront money. The Bears still have room.

It's up to Angelo's whim whether to make Rex's incentives LTBE or NLTBE. It would be very easy to make them the latter and still be very reachable for Grossman, and that's why I like NLTBEs in this case. Make Rex perform at a level he hasn't already, and push whatever portion of the $2M he earns into '09.

Simple answer. More than enough.

I have said this before, and I think LT2 agrees (correct me if I am wrong LT), salary cap is not going to prevent us from doing anything we want this year. Cash and budget (bottom line and not salary cap) will dictate more. While some have argued, you could fit if you wanted Briggs and Berrian, extend Harris, and even add Faneca, and fit it under our 2008 salary cap. But in doing so, you would need to come up w/ about $80m or more in bonus money. We are not going to shell out $80 cash (for bonuses) at once.

In fact, I believe we will be looking for ways to basically get rid of some of this years cap space. I think we will see some extensions (as we have started w/ Brown and Clark). I think we will see more LTBE incentives, as well as some roster bonuses. I think we will find ways to eat up some of our $30m in cap space (from a week ago) in such a way as to better our cap situation in future years.

So cap space is simply not a big thing for me this year. I think it is going to be far more about what individual's players are seeking in upfront bonus dollars.

It's up to Angelo's whim whether to make Rex's incentives LTBE or NLTBE. It would be very easy to make them the latter and still be very reachable for Grossman, and that's why I like NLTBEs in this case. Make Rex perform at a level he hasn't already, and push whatever portion of the $2M he earns into '09.

Actually, it's harder to make the incentives NLTBE than it is LTBE. There are only specific stats that can be used for NLTBE bonuses. I don't recall the details right off the top of my head, but one thing is for certain, Grossman would have to agree to them whatever they are - I'll try to do some research on this.

Nfo is right. Our limitation this year isn't the cap, it's how much cash we have budgeted. The simplest way to save cap is to give signing bonuses that get prorated. Unfortunately though, you actually have to give them the cash right then. So a $20 million signing bonus over 5 years costs you $4 mil in cap space, but you actually have to give them $20 million. The other route that Angelo likes to go is to give larger roster bonuses - like say $7 mil per year over the first 3 years which actually amortize the payments themselves, but not the cap hit.