With the Kelly contract, what will Harris command

adam

If Tommy Kelly can get $50 million over 7 years, what will Tommie Harris command?

Kelly is now the highest paid DT.

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—The Oakland Raiders resigned defensive lineman Tommy Kelly on Thursday to a seven-year contract that reportedly could be worth more than $50 million.

Kelly, coming off reconstructive knee surgery, was set to become an unrestricted free agent on Friday. But the Raiders pre-empted that with a lucrative contract that guarantees Kelly more than $18 million.

Keeping Kelly was an offseason priority for Oakland after defensive tackle Warren Sapp retired. Kelly was the team’s most consistent defensive lineman last season before sustaining the season-ending knee injury Oct. 28 against Tennessee.

Kelly’s versatility is one of his biggest strengths as he is able to play inside at tackle or outside at end. Sapp said at one point last season Kelly could be better than he was by the end of his career. That was heady praise for a player who signed with the Raiders in 2004 as an undrafted and unheralded free agent from Mississippi State.

Oakland needs help on its defensive line after allowing a league-worst 4.8 yards per carry and finishing second-to-last by allowing 145.9 yards per game.

Kelly finished last season with 27 solo tackles, one sack and a blocked kick that helped seal Oakland’s first win of the season. He has 13 sacks in four seasons in the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgXL...p&type=lgns

Kelly is now the highest paid DL.

Actually, he is the highest paid DT, not DL. Freeney makes a lot more than that, and I think there are a couple other DEs that may make more as well.

I don't think this signing means a whole lot to be honest. Harris has already said he believes he should be among the highest paid defensive players, not DTs or DL, but defensive players.

I still think Freeney's deal is the one Harris and Rosenarce will be looking at as a base.

Actually, he is the highest paid DT, not DL. Freeney makes a lot more than that, and I think there are a couple other DEs that may make more as well.

I don't think this signing means a whole lot to be honest. Harris has already said he believes he should be among the highest paid defensive players, not DTs or DL, but defensive players.

I still think Freeney's deal is the one Harris and Rosenarce will be looking at as a base.

You don't think agents will use this as leverage? This guy was basically an unknown who just had knee surgery and he got $50 million with over $18 million in guarantees.

You don't think agents will use this as leverage? This guy was basically an unknown who just had knee surgery and he got $50 million with over $18 million in guarantees.

None of this should matter to the Bears, simply because they have the cap room to make things work. Angelo did a great job of using his cap space last year to start locking up guys like Tillman and Vasher. There is plenty of room for Harris in the next couple years, especially with an uncapped year coming, if he's smart about it.

I am sure this will matter to agents, but I do not think this affect Harris that much. IMHO, Harris was already looking at something more similar to the Freeny $30m guaranteed. Another DT getting $18m isn't going to affect Harris' deal that much. He has alrady said he is looking at a deal top among defensive players, and taken himself out of the DT only negotiations.

I am sure this will matter to agents, but I do not think this affect Harris that much. IMHO, Harris was already looking at something more similar to the Freeny $30m guaranteed. Another DT getting $18m isn't going to affect Harris' deal that much. He has alrady said he is looking at a deal top among defensive players, and taken himself out of the DT only negotiations.

At this point, I have to question his overall value. Yes, he is a disruptive force. Yes, he racked up nice stats again. But to shell out 70-90 million on a guy that: 1) Questioned his own desire to play football a couple of years ago. 2) Is injury prone and 3) Fades as the season goes on. How horrible would our D be without him? When you lose a good player, someone usually steps up. Do we have anyone who can step up? I'm really not sure. My vote is to wait on extending Harris. Making a mistake and signing him now could hurt for a long time dur to the magnitude of the deal. Waiting may cost a little more, but be less risk and there is always the tag.