Berrian wearing Vikings cap and carrying jersey

'TD'

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1394

Was that Berrian? You betcha

March 1st, 2008 – 12:12 PM by Judd Zulgad

An odd thing happened as media members waited in the Winter Park practice facility for the Madieu Williams’ news conference to begin. A Vikings official and someone wearing a Vikings cap and with a Vikings jersey in his arm emerged from the team’s weight room.

First thought: Did we just see Bernard Berrian? It certainly wasn’t Williams and it looked like Berrian. (Update: After examining his picture in the Bears media guide, we are now sure it was the 6-foot-1 Berrian.)

Later in the Williams’ news conference Vikings coach Brad Childress did say that Berrian remained upstairs at Winter Park and that talks were still ongoing with the receiver. “He’s not here against his will,” Childress joked. “He’s not shackled.”

But he could be a very rich man, very soon. Vikings exec Rick Spielman did and would not say if Berrian was going to try to take a visit to Oakland today. At this point, it would not be surprising to get wind of a Berrian news conference later this afternoon or Sunday morning.

As for defensive end Justin Smith, who signed with San Francisco and did not visit Minnesota, Spielman did not want to comment. ”He’s signed with the 49ers, so leave it at that,” Spielman said.

Updated quote: We just received an e-mail from Smith’s agent, Jim Steiner, asking for a comment on his client’s decision. Honestly, it probably wasn’t that tough of call considering Smith received a six-year deal that includes $20 million guaranteed.

“Justin felt San Francisco was the place for him,” Steiner said. “It was very,very close however. He was scheduled to go to Minnesota Saturday [morning] but it just didn’t work out. The Vikes were great, but in the end the player made the call.”

freak Berrian. I like him as a player but as a person, he's just a money hungry pig. There is nothing more that I hate when a player says all this crap about being a Bear and wanting to stay and then go sign with a division rival because they offered the most money. freak him.

The really bad thing is that this signing is gonna make the Vikings that much better, Rice and Berrian form a very good receiver duo for Jackson to go along with their power running game. If you add a TE like Shockey, that offense has a lot of potential not only on the ground, but through the air.

freak Berrian. I like him as a player but as a person, he's just a money hungry pig. There is nothing more that I hate when a player says all this crap about being a Bear and wanting to stay and then go sign with a division rival because they offered the most money. freak him.

The really bad thing is that this signing is gonna make the Vikings that much better, Rice and Berrian form a very good receiver duo for Jackson to go along with their power running game. If you add a TE like Shockey, that offense has a lot of potential not only on the ground, but through the air.

freak Berrian? You were the one the whole time saying the Bears should be on their knees trying to resign him.

freak Berrian? You were the one the whole time saying the Bears should be on their knees trying to resign him.

So... I really wanted us to retain him, and it sucks we didn't do so. But now that he is Viking, I can't help but hate him.