Bears Resign Lance Briggs

Connorbear

A valid question. How would the Bears be looking if instead of drafting 2 LB's, they'd spent those 3rd and 4th rounders on O-Linemen the last 2 years? At worst they'd be in exactly the same position they're in now right, and that's if both of them flopped?

Anyone think someone would give us a 3rd for Okwo if we put him on the market now? Or Williams?

Definitely not a 3rd. If someone really liked one of those 2 in the draft and just missed on him, it's possible he could approach JA -- but it would certainly be a lower pick, maybe conditional. Doesn't really seem worth it.

My feelings exactly. It is nice to have Briggs, but I would rather have let some of our young LB's give it a go and put that money towards a stud OL or WR....but, it was a reasonable price for a solid player.

Wait, i thought he was overrated? :rolleyes:

I think last year's offer was a 7 year offer, not 6. Just details.

I think there are a couple things at play here.

One. He made $7.2m last year, and right or wrong, I think that is a factor.

Two. I think he was really banking on Wash jacking up his price, and when they announced they would not be big players in FA, I think Brigg's price really dropped.

Three. Right or wrong, I think teams still question how much is Briggs, and how much is the sytstem and/or Urlacher.

Four. Briggs was talking big money, and I think that talk may have scared some teams off.

At the end of the day, I can not feel sorry for Briggs. Really, while feelings were hurt, it did seem to turn out good for all involved. Ultimately, the Bears retain Briggs, at a reasonable price. And for Briggs, if you use last year's salary, he ended up getting basically a 7yr/$43m w/ a two tier bonus for around $20m.

I think there are a couple things at play here.

One. He made $7.2m last year, and right or wrong, I think that is a factor.

Two. I think he was really banking on Wash jacking up his price, and when they announced they would not be big players in FA, I think Brigg's price really dropped.

Three. Right or wrong, I think teams still question how much is Briggs, and how much is the sytstem and/or Urlacher.

Four. Briggs was talking big money, and I think that talk may have scared some teams off.

At the end of the day, I can not feel sorry for Briggs. Really, while feelings were hurt, it did seem to turn out good for all involved. Ultimately, the Bears retain Briggs, at a reasonable price. And for Briggs, if you use last year's salary, he ended up getting basically a 7yr/$43m w/ a two tier bonus for around $20m.

nfoligno, I luv when you analyze :)

LOL.

I just hope Rosenarce reads my stuff in light of Harris coming due.

I believe that if Harris hits FA talking loud about $30m and Freeney's deal, he will turn suitors off. He is an awesome talent, but injuries and 2nd half slides will hurt his chances of getting Freeny money. In addition, he is not going to fit every system, so he has to find not only a team that has huge cap space to spend, but also utilizes a system he works best from. For example, he would likely be a DE in a 3-4, and you are not going to give him that sort of coin when he isn't proven in that regard. In a more power DL system, he simply is not a fit. Or in a system where you have meaty DTs and speed DEs, again, not a fit. So, IMHO, if he makes a big deal about $30m, I think he could easily go the way of Briggs.

Harris will be tagged after this season, and while there will be some talk from teams about trading for him, no one will offer enough compensation for us. Not when they also have to give him so much money. Then he will hit FA the following year, and find out that no one is going to give him the money he seeks, and after swallowing pride, re-signs w/ us.

Happy ending, but as w/ Briggs, final few chapters were very bitter.

LOL.

I believe that if Harris hits FA talking loud about $30m and Freeney's deal, he will turn suitors off. He is an awesome talent, but injuries and 2nd half slides will hurt his chances of getting Freeny money. In addition, he is not going to fit every system, so he has to find not only a team that has huge cap space to spend, but also utilizes a system he works best from. For example, he would likely be a DE in a 3-4, and you are not going to give him that sort of coin when he isn't proven in that regard. In a more power DL system, he simply is not a fit. Or in a system where you have meaty DTs and speed DEs, again, not a fit. So, IMHO, if he makes a big deal about $30m, I think he could easily go the way of Briggs.

Harris will be tagged after this season, and while there will be some talk from teams about trading for him, no one will offer enough compensation for us. Not when they also have to give him so much money. Then he will hit FA the following year, and find out that no one is going to give him the money he seeks, and after swallowing pride, re-signs w/ us.

I would just love for JA to shove it up Drew's ass! Hey Drew, it's me Jerry. Let's talk about Tommie. Here's what I'm thinking... :whip

Glad to have him back with us. Now we have a strong LB core with decent depth for the first time in years. Briggs price is reasonable given that he's been a Pro Bowl player. While I've said he's not a great player he fits well with what we need.

I thought, if nothing else, strong linebacking cores are what we've had for years..

I'm not talking about last year, I'm talking two years ago whle he was still on his rookie contract. This is from USAToday:

Briggs made $721,600 last year in the final season of his first NFL contract. Negotiations on a contract extension broke down last spring, and reports indicate Briggs rejected a six-year offer of more than $30 million.

For an article written a year ago to reference "last Spring" means they're talking about two years ago.

Also, I agree that now he has 7.2M in his pocket from last year maybe $$ isn't as pressing to him, but it's maybe also that after two years of this contract mess he's just tired of it and wants to play football. Good for him.

And btw, that's a good observation about Tommie's reduced value due to the resurgence of the 3-4 defense.

LOL.

Good points. I'll add, I really wish Rosenarce would get bit in the arce once. Briggs played the media, said he'd never wear a Bear jersey, and in the end, signed for what he was offered originally. He took one helluva a risk. If he would have blown his knee out, we're not having this discussion. It was a huge risk, and he didn't gain anything extra by it.

I'm personally skeptical about Harris. There's no doubt that when he 100% he's the best in the game at what he does. But when is he ever 100%?