Bears Resign Lance Briggs

Connorbear

Glad to have him back with us. Now we have a strong LB core with decent depth for the first time in years. Briggs price is reasonable given that he's been a Pro Bowl player. While I've said he's not a great player he fits well with what we need.

that is a fantastic deal... even though I don't agree with all his moves, I love Jerry Angelo.

I'm indifferent. It's always great to retain a good young player. His loss had been planned for, and I feel the defense could have withstood his loss.

Personally, I would have liked to seen the Bears to use that money to be in the running for Faneca. The Defense has had enough money spent on it with the extensions of Tillman, Vasher, and Brown, plus the eventual extension of Harris.

Now, do the Bears still rework Urlachers deal?

Great news, by the way

Thats the question. Its a tricky situation. They were mentioning trying to trade him on the radio the other day. I think that would be devastating to the franchise. I hope they can find a way to keep both sides happy.

I would have liked to seen them bring in a LB who can attack the quarterback, but overall I'm happy Briggs is returning. Talented fella that Lance Briggs ;)

Now Mr. Angelo, go get us an O-Line, Running Back and Wide Out!

I just dont think our scheme has enough of the linebackers blitzing. He certainly has the ability to get to the qb if need be.

Connor, I'm starting to get the impression you spend your entire day sitting by the computer listening to the SCORE. Oustanding!!! Keep it up. Christ almighty, I was on here two hours ago saying Briggs would have to do something by Monday . . . never thought he'd sign that quick.

Outstanding. Apparently patience pays off. We've resigned our pro-bowl LB and he's not getting nealry what Urlacher signed for years ago.

Now, do the Bears still rework Urlachers deal?

Great news, by the way

No. We still might, but why would we? The main concerns were:

1. Briggs would be making more then Urlacher, so our top LB wouldn't be the highest paid LB. That's a problem.

2. Briggs is gone leaving Urlacher a much harder task. Greater work and greater responsibility should equal a greater pay-check.

We not only signed Lance, but he won't be making more the #54. That's called win-win for the Bears. Problem solved.

Urlacher's due to make 6 million next year, and he makes a fortune in endorsement deals. He's great, but he's not going to get better.

Now, what to do with these extra linebackers?

A valid question. How would the Bears be looking if instead of drafting 2 LB's, they'd spent those 3rd and 4th rounders on O-Linemen the last 2 years? At worst they'd be in exactly the same position they're in now right, and that's if both of them flopped?

Anyone think someone would give us a 3rd for Okwo if we put him on the market now? Or Williams?

I'm in tears now. Briggs > Rest of our LB's (behind Urlacher of course).

I think that was the whole reason to resign him; with Urlacher's issues with his neck and back we don't know how effective he will be come next year. Briggs probably will step up as our best linebacker next year as Urlacher fades away (I hope this is not the case!)

Connor, I'm starting to get the impression you spend your entire day sitting by the computer listening to the SCORE. Oustanding!!! Keep it up. Christ almighty, I was on here two hours ago saying Briggs would have to do something by Monday . . . never thought he'd sign that quick.

Outstanding. Apparently patience pays off. We've resigned our pro-bowl LB and he's not getting nealry what Urlacher signed for years ago.

You too bradjock? Connor seems to be more up-to-date than the tickers at Fox or SI.com! Oh, and I'm glad we got Briggs back. And one can only dream that Brown, Harris, Dusty, Url, etc., will stay healthy and bring the D back to its respectable position.

And there's still time to bring in some FA, so I'm waiting for Connor's next scoop! :lol:

Am I the only one thinking 6yrs for 36M can't be right? He rejected a 6yr 33M deal 2 years ago and since then he's made 2 pro bowls and salaries have gone up. I don't believe it yet...even if it is front ended.

Nevertheless, whatever the actual contract amounts turn out to be, I want to point something out. How many times have we all heard "Briggs is gone" over the last 2 years (in the media and on the net)? 100? 200? Too many to count?? It's not that it bothers me that other people didn't think he'd stick around (or that JA would pony up), but that they spoke of it with such certainty...and so often. Well, guess what? WRONG! I never took the position that he would stay so this isn't an 'I told you so', it's just a little message that will hopefully provoke some of you into thinking twice the next time you're about to annoyingly state speculation as fact about whether a Bear will be leaving the team or not.

Oh, and Briggs, you may have been a little misguided at times, but I'm excited to have you back. Injuries notwithstanding, we've got at least a couple more years of the Hilly, Briggs, Url trio. That's somethig worth watching on Sunday!

In the Chicago Suntimes Article about the Briggs deal it gave a lot of interesting information.

First, Briggs accepted very close to what we originally offered him:

Briggs will receive $13 million guaranteed and $21.6 million over the first three years of the contract, the average of what he earned last season with the franchise tag. That total four-year total is consistent with what linebacker Adalius Thomas received last year from New England.

The Chicago Tribune Article gave a different number on the contract:

The surprise six-year, $36 million contract with $12 million up front that Briggs hastily agreed to Saturday night should have been sealed with a handshake and a white flag. Quite simply, he caved.

Briggs' total surrender capped two years of avoidable acrimony over a contract dispute that began when the linebacker turned down a $33 million, seven-year offer that doesn't look much different from the deal Briggs just signed.

It also appears according to the SunTimes we will also see some more contract extensions for the Bears in addition to working out a possible deal for Urlacher:

The Bears also have made the decision to start throwing more to Devin Hester. Money, that is. The team has held informal discussions with Hester's agent, Eugene Parker, about a new deal and it will move to the forefront along with efforts to extend the contracts of defensive tackle Tommie Harris, kicker Robbie Gould and, potentially, defensive end Mark Anderson. The idea is to ensure young core players are in place well beyond 2010.

WR, yep we are still interested:

Bryant Johnson will arrive in Buffalo today for a visit and the Bears consider him a young Muhsin Muhammad who could be a ''Z'' receiver. They remain in contact with agent Joel Segal. Javon Walker is generating solid interest and Drew Carter, D.J. Hackett and David Patten are possibilities with the team expected to make receiver a higher priority in the draft. Carter will visit Oakland today before a trip to Tampa Bay.

Bottom line, now that the wait to see what JA can do to keep Briggs/Berrian is over, I think JA will now be able to move forward.

I'm indifferent. It's always great to retain a good young player. His loss had been planned for, and I feel the defense could have withstood his loss.

Personally, I would have liked to seen the Bears to use that money to be in the running for Faneca. The Defense has had enough money spent on it with the extensions of Tillman, Vasher, and Brown, plus the eventual extension of Harris.

My feelings exactly. It is nice to have Briggs, but I would rather have let some of our young LB's give it a go and put that money towards a stud OL or WR....but, it was a reasonable price for a solid player.