'Skins Made a Play for Briggs

bradjock

From PFT:

'SKINS MADE A PLAY FOR BRIGGS

Though the decision of linebacker Lance Briggs to re-sign with the Bears has created the impression that he had no options elsewhere, a league source tells us that the Redskins made a run at Briggs.

It was, per the source, "very close" between the Redskins and the Bears. In the end, Briggs decided given the similarity of the numbers to stay home.

Factoring in the $7.2 million salary he earned as a franchise player in 2007, Briggs will earn $28.8 million over four years.

Factoring in the Lamborghini he crashed and abandoned, the number is more like $28.3 million.

What was the contract offered to Briggs last year before they franchised Captain Lambroginni?

Damn good question. This is based on memory, but I feel like we offered him around 16 million guaranteed for around 42 million. I could be wrong, but I think he took less then we offered him last year.

Of course he already pocketed over 7 million.

Either way, nobody is going to accuse us of over-paying.

I believe he got more total, but less bonus. I think the money he got was a factor for the bears though.

Last year, we offered 7yr/$33m. I do not remember for sure, but I think he was offered $16m bonus.

This year, he signed 6yr/$36m. Trib reports $12m bonus, while NFL Network just said $13.

While Briggs BS was BS, at the same time, I think he did end up the better for it, purely financially speaking.

If you look at this years bonus, plus last year's, you could argue it is similar to a $20m bonus, tiered over two years, on a total deal of 7yr/$43m.

Not the payday he wanted, but at the same time, it does not appear the market is what he thought either. Still, I think, looking at last year and this year, he got a pretty damn good deal.

But I think PR wise, he has taken a big hit. He took a hit for his antics last year, and now he seems to be eating crow.

Hopefully this might be a lessen learned for Harris (same agent) who also seems to think he is worth a sick amount of money.

Harris has spoken from day one about getting another huge contract so money is clearly all he thinks about. He has to weigh his options carefully because his injury history is not very good. While he played through tough injuries last year it's still going to be a factor in any GM's mind before he hands over a huge signing bonus.

As far as the Redskins making a play for Briggs this sounds like pure BS from Rosenhaus so he can save face for him and his immature client. Making "a run" might have been nothing more than one quick phone call to see what Briggs' wanted in signing bonus. After that they probably hung up.