Great tribute from Lovie

Connorbear

Look, I hated Favre as much as the next Bears fan but I did have a tremendous amt of respect for him. He is a 1st ballot hall of famer and one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Here is the quote from Lovie - some great stuff:

“I think this announcement comes about 17 years too late and I don’t know if I will completely believe it until Green Bay opens the season without No. 4 lining up under center. In all seriousness, no one has given more to our game than Brett Favre. I have spent the better part of my NFL coaching career working on game plans to beat him. There is no player I respect more. He is one of the all-time greats to ever play in the NFL. He was a tremendous leader and the ultimate competitor on Sundays. I wish him and his family the very best.”

Peace :bears

In all honesty I have more respect for Favre than any other non Bear in the league. As a packer he was the enemy and I treated him as such. But he epitomized the way the game should be played. In so many ways he was a throw back. The type of player who would play as long as his legs and arms were functioning. He played for the love of the game though I do tend to think chasing records had something to do with it. Every time you thought surely he won't play next week, low and behold he's out there playing. You have to love the game to play through the injuries and problems he's had over the years. The type of guy you would have loved to have on your team but hated him on another team add to that it was the Packers.

What I am looking for is now that Packers will have to deal with finding a QB the way the other teams in the league have. Only now will they realize just how spoiled and unusual their situation has been. They're going to find out that in the real world QB's don't have a starting streak that spans a large part of a 17 season career. Favre is the exception and now I'm glad the Packers will have to adjust to the rule.

I for one will miss Brett. He was the ultimate competitor and a true entertainer on the football field. He was part of the reason why I looked forward twice a season for the Packers/Bears games. I obviously still will look forward to that game more than any other regular season game in the season still, but I must admit it won't be quite the same without having to worry and think about how the team is going to shut down a player like Favre.

Brett got the best of us most of his career, but late in his career it was great to finally start getting the best of him.