Ryan Clady

ostrogoth

Ryan Clady ran a 5.18 forty and posted a 31" vertical at the Boise State Pro Day.

Clady tweaked his pectorals on the bench press at the Combine and was unable to do the rest of his drills. A terrific athlete, Clady projects as a starting left tackle at the next level. Zone-blocking teams will be intrigued.

Source: draftheadquarters.com

Lovie Smith's interested too (from the Trib):

Extra points

Ryan Clady, a junior offensive tackle from Boise State, impressed during a personal workout at the school Monday. According to the Idaho Statesman, Bears coach Lovie Smith is headed to Boise for a private workout with Clady.

The Bears have the No. 14 overall pick and could use it on an offensive lineman.

It's a nice thought, and every year, players do fall in the draft. The thing is, I just can not see how it happens. Often when a player falls some, it is because of position/need. If this draft had more top 15 teams w/ RB as a high priority, Mendenhall may not even be in our talks. Heck, Stewart might not either. But RB isn't a top need this year. OT is.

Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta, Kansas City, New England, Baltimore, Buffalo, Denver, Carolina

All these teams have OT at or near the top of their board of needs. Long does not get past Stl. I have seen Clady in mocks as high as #5 to KC. I hope he makes it all the way to Denver, so Williams might get to us. Frankly, I am not sure Williams makes it all the way to us, much less Clady.

It's a nice thought, and every year, players do fall in the draft. The thing is, I just can not see how it happens. Often when a player falls some, it is because of position/need. If this draft had more top 15 teams w/ RB as a high priority, Mendenhall may not even be in our talks. Heck, Stewart might not either. But RB isn't a top need this year. OT is.

Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta, Kansas City, New England, Baltimore, Buffalo, Denver, Carolina

All these teams have OT at or near the top of their board of needs. Long does not get past Stl. I have seen Clady in mocks as high as #5 to KC. I hope he makes it all the way to Denver, so Williams might get to us. Frankly, I am not sure Williams makes it all the way to us, much less Clady.

Are you joking? Long will get past STL because they have a greater need, putting pressure on quarterbacks, which is why Howie's son, Chris Long, will go to them at 2. Long to KC at 5, unless Ryan goes to Miami at 1, the ATL takes either Dorsey or Long at 3.

No, I am not joking, and if you check, I think you will find most mocks agree w/ me.

For the record, I said he doesn't get past StL. He may not even make it to them. It is all together possible Miami takes him #1. If Miami does not take him, I think they take the other long.

As for Stl, do they need a pass rusher. Yes. But they also need to replace Orlando Pace. Yes, they need to find a pass rush, but they also need to protect their QB, not to mention Stephen Jackson.

Bears | Team to have private workout with Clady

Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:56:14 -0800

Brian Murphy, of the Idaho Statesman, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith will visit Boise State OL Ryan Clady for a private workout next week.

If JA traded up to get him I would not complain. But I'm a Bear fan, so I'm also resigned to him wearing another uni this season.

I just wonder how high we would have to trade up. If he is impressing that much, and Long is gone by Stl, then Clady could move up as high as #5 to KC. If not KC, #8 to Baltimore. I can not see us moving up that much. If he falls a bit more, I do not think it is out of the question to try and leap frog Denver. That is just a 3 spot jump, and w/ an extra 3rd, we can afford it.

I think the question is, how high do we grade him. If we are building, Angelo might want to trade down and stock pile picks (especially w/ so many needs). Do we have a high enough grade on him to warrant actually moving up. If we believe he is a stud, franchise LT, then I can see us moving up. If we think he is anything less, then nope.

No, I am not joking, and if you check, I think you will find most mocks agree w/ me.

For the record, I said he doesn't get past StL. He may not even make it to them. It is all together possible Miami takes him #1. If Miami does not take him, I think they take the other long.

As for Stl, do they need a pass rusher. Yes. But they also need to replace Orlando Pace. Yes, they need to find a pass rush, but they also need to protect their QB, not to mention Stephen Jackson.

I also see Stl passing on Jake Long. They drafted Alex Barron in RD1 to eventually replace Pace.

I am not saying it is absolute. What is in the draft. My point is, there are more than enough who believe that it is not only possible, but highly so, that "are you joking" is basically a weak response. His response was as if I said we would draft a DE. Baron or no, it sure does not sound like Stl believes they are set at OL, and feel LT is a key concern. While they need DL also, they could just as easily go OT.

Further, even if they pass on Long, I still see a better than not chance that not only Clady is gone, but Williams too. If Long actually makes it to KC, he goes no further. I can easily see Baltimore taking Clady to replace Ogden, and then you still have Denver grabbing Williams.