ESPN's pre-draft grade on Cedric

bradjock

I've neve put to much faith in these things, but damn they seemed to hit the nail on the head. Particularly when they say, "Has had some off-the-field issues. Does he love playing the game of football? Will he work hard enough at it in the NFL?" and also, "there are some lingering concerns about his character, attitude and speed that make him a potential disappointment at the next level."

Wow. I hope Angelo starts reading these things. Here's the full pre-draft evaluation from espn.com:

Strengths: Is at his best running between the tackles. Has decent quickness and good initial burst. Has patience and vision. Hits the hole hard when he sees it open up. Will do a good job of planting and driving quickly in order to hit the cutback lane. Runs with good balance and body control. Runs with leverage, will lower his shoulder and does a very good job of driving his legs after initial contact. He is a powerful inside runner with enough quickness and burst to get through the hole and to bounce runs to the outside. Is a load to bring down with a head of steam in space. Has adequate speed for his size but is not a burner. He is an adequate blocker in the passing game. Shows decent awareness and has good size and power at the POA to pick up the blitz. His hands are smooth and he has developed into a reliable short-yardage receiver. A powerful back who has been a workhorse at the college level.

Weaknesses: Has some burst to the second level but lacks the acceleration to run away from defenders in the open field. Lacks the natural speed to consistently turn the corner on the NFL level. Has reliable hands but isn't a matchup threat as a route runner and has some limitations in that area. No major injuries but has been nicked a lot throughout his career and also missed the '03 Holiday Bowl due to a pinched nerve in his neck. Has a lot of mileage on his legs 561 carries his last two years. Has had some off-the-field issues. Does he love playing the game of football? Will he work hard enough at it in the NFL?

Overall: Benson was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 12th round out of high school and spent two summers playing baseball in their farm system before deciding to concentrate fully on his football career. He had an excellent second-half of a season as a junior in 2003, rushing for 1,360 yards on 258 carries with 21 rushing touchdowns. Benson was expected to leave early but chose to return for his senior season in 2004. As a senior in 2004, Benson rushed for 1,764 yards and 19 touchdowns on 303 carries. Benson is a workhorse. He has size, power, quickness and enough speed to carry the load as a starting running back in the NFL. In that regard, he reminds us somewhat of Stephen Davis (Panthers). If used properly in a power running attack Benson can be a difference maker as a load-carrying NFL running back. Overall, Benson is certain to be a top-10 pick. However, there are some lingering concerns about his character, attitude and speed that make him a potential disappointment at the next level. In our opinion, Benson is the third-best NFL prospect of the top-3 backs in the 2005 draft class.

Wow, they seem to have hit it right on the head in regard to Benson. I really felt like he would turn the corner, but recently I am beginning to doubt he ever will. I really think this guy has bust written all over him, it's too bad that we are still trying to solve problems at running back after using the 4th pick overall only three years ago.

I've neve put to much faith in these things, but damn they seemed to hit the nail on the head. Particularly when they say, "Has had some off-the-field issues. Does he love playing the game of football? Will he work hard enough at it in the NFL?" and also, "there are some lingering concerns about his character, attitude and speed that make him a potential disappointment at the next level."

Wow. I hope Angelo starts reading these things. Here's the full pre-draft evaluation from espn.com:

Strengths: Is at his best running between the tackles. Has decent quickness and good initial burst. Has patience and vision. Hits the hole hard when he sees it open up. Will do a good job of planting and driving quickly in order to hit the cutback lane. Runs with good balance and body control. Runs with leverage, will lower his shoulder and does a very good job of driving his legs after initial contact. He is a powerful inside runner with enough quickness and burst to get through the hole and to bounce runs to the outside. Is a load to bring down with a head of steam in space. Has adequate speed for his size but is not a burner. He is an adequate blocker in the passing game. Shows decent awareness and has good size and power at the POA to pick up the blitz. His hands are smooth and he has developed into a reliable short-yardage receiver. A powerful back who has been a workhorse at the college level.

Weaknesses: Has some burst to the second level but lacks the acceleration to run away from defenders in the open field. Lacks the natural speed to consistently turn the corner on the NFL level. Has reliable hands but isn't a matchup threat as a route runner and has some limitations in that area. No major injuries but has been nicked a lot throughout his career and also missed the '03 Holiday Bowl due to a pinched nerve in his neck. Has a lot of mileage on his legs 561 carries his last two years. Has had some off-the-field issues. Does he love playing the game of football? Will he work hard enough at it in the NFL?

Overall: Benson was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 12th round out of high school and spent two summers playing baseball in their farm system before deciding to concentrate fully on his football career. He had an excellent second-half of a season as a junior in 2003, rushing for 1,360 yards on 258 carries with 21 rushing touchdowns. Benson was expected to leave early but chose to return for his senior season in 2004. As a senior in 2004, Benson rushed for 1,764 yards and 19 touchdowns on 303 carries. Benson is a workhorse. He has size, power, quickness and enough speed to carry the load as a starting running back in the NFL. In that regard, he reminds us somewhat of Stephen Davis (Panthers). If used properly in a power running attack Benson can be a difference maker as a load-carrying NFL running back. Overall, Benson is certain to be a top-10 pick. However, there are some lingering concerns about his character, attitude and speed that make him a potential disappointment at the next level. In our opinion, Benson is the third-best NFL prospect of the top-3 backs in the 2005 draft class.

Thats the problem right there.

That he's no longer strong at that or that the Bears had a wasteland from Tackle to Tackle last season?

the later of the 2, his strength is running between the tackles, if the tackles arent making holes for him to run through then his strength is wasted. Its like baseball you dont put a fly ball pitcher in small ball parks (ugh linebrink is gonna get rocked this year i just know it) its wasting his strength.

And?

I assume you were posting this to stress the negatives, but there are quite a few positives as well. In fact, I think it only serves to enhance the argument the issue may be as much what we have surrounded him w/ and the way we have tried to use him as opposed to just Benson. If you believe this report so much, then I wonder why you think he is a bust, as opposed to just feeling he has been misused.

Also, it said he was the 3rd best RB, but that isn't some big knock. As I recall, there were three RBs taken in the top 5 that year. Brown, Benson & Cadillac. To call Benson the 3rd best is not exactly some huge knock.

One, reports were very mixed on his weight. As I recall it, the staff said he was not over-weight but some reporters said he looked over weight.

Two, wanna take a look at the beginning of camp this year? It's called the off season, and more players than you might think come into camp w/ a little pudge.

Depending whether or not we will have a running back to replace Cedric this year I think its his final chance to prove something to the organization.

If not, Knowshon Moreno from Georgia may be a Bear next year, or if we have a terrible year to get a top 5 pick, we might get Chris Wells from Ohio State.

Beanie Wells :wub: :pray

I would add it might be a nice idea to think about how we use players. Too many times I watched us try sweeps w/ Benson. I have no problem using Benson to run off tackle, but I do not know why Turner continued to use him in sweeps when he doesn't have corner turning speed, and we didn't have OL athletic enought to pull anyway.

Of course, the one RB we have who does possess corner turning speed (Wolfe) we continually ran inside.

I would add it might be a nice idea to think about how we use players. Too many times I watched us try sweeps w/ Benson. I have no problem using Benson to run off tackle, but I do not know why Turner continued to use him in sweeps when he doesn't have corner turning speed, and we didn't have OL athletic enought to pull anyway.

Of course, the one RB we have who does possess corner turning speed (Wolfe) we continually ran inside.

Well...if the area between the Tackles is full of defenders who you can't block, Hell why not send the guy outside on occasion?

There is a difference between going outside, and a sweep. You can run off-tackle, which does not requite top end speed. On the other hand, to run a sweep, you need more speed than what Benson has shown. Further, you usually need blockers who can get lateral, which ours were worse than weak at.

I don't really believe there is any doubt that Benson has the talent. We've all seen some glimpses of what he can do when he is motivated or moved to play. I think the biggest question mark about Benson for me has ALWAYS been, does he really want to play football? I'm a big believer in body language and his body language screams that he has someplace he'd rather be most of the time. Maybe it's that he's not mentally tough enough. Look at the great RBs in this game, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Franco Harris and you could tell that they loved the game because of they way carried themselves on the field. Especially Sanders and Payton. They was always a bounce in their step and you could tell they were happy just being there. Harris and Brown were not as quick but they certainly looked more purposeful. With Benson, you just get the impression that he's just not having fun and isn't enjoying what he's doing. Even when Payton was losing, you could tell he couldn't wait to get the ball.

Here's hoping that we finally get it right. Provided of course that we do something at RB in rd 1.

I don't really believe there is any doubt that Benson has the talent. We've all seen some glimpses of what he can do when he is motivated or moved to play. I think the biggest question mark about Benson for me has ALWAYS been, does he really want to play football? I'm a big believer in body language and his body language screams that he has someplace he'd rather be most of the time. Maybe it's that he's not mentally tough enough. Look at the great RBs in this game, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Franco Harris and you could tell that they loved the game because of they way carried themselves on the field. Especially Sanders and Payton. They was always a bounce in their step and you could tell they were happy just being there. Harris and Brown were not as quick but they certainly looked more purposeful. With Benson, you just get the impression that he's just not having fun and isn't enjoying what he's doing. Even when Payton was losing, you could tell he couldn't wait to get the ball.

Here's hoping that we finally get it right. Provided of course that we do something at RB in rd 1.

ugh...not even Darren Mcfadden would look good on a team that cant block....the only way i even think about going RB in the first is if we pick up an OT or 2 in free agency and even then id rather go WR 1st pick before RB.

[/b]

ugh...not even Darren Mcfadden would look good on a team that cant block....the only way i even think about going RB in the first is if we pick up an OT or 2 in free agency and even then id rather go WR 1st pick before RB.

ugh...I didn't say I hoped we went RB in Rd 1, I said I hope we get it right provided we go RB. By that I meant I just don't want another first rd bust if it is a RB. But make no mistake, McFadden could perform better than Benson behind this line. I can think of alot of NFL RBs who could do better as well. It wasn't just the o line.

ugh...I didn't say I hoped we went RB in Rd 1, I said I hope we get it right provided we go RB. By that I meant I just don't want another first rd bust if it is a RB. But make no mistake, McFadden could perform better than Benson behind this line. I can think of alot of NFL RBs who could do better as well. It wasn't just the o line.

McFadden could perform a lil bit better but once again not to his fullest potential with this line. The jets are planing on grabbing McFadden and you see what the did?? added Faneca and Damian Woody because they know without a good line there good running back is going to be wasted, which is exactly what is going on with the bears, bensons getting wasted. He's a between the tackle runner and when theres no holes to run through then hes screwed because he does not have the speed to go left or right. if we bring in guys that will allow benson to run up the gut then he will be an effective runner for us.