Bears showing interest to McCariens

ASHKUM BEAR

Do we really need another pair of stone hands? I thought that was why we let Moose go...

A couple key differences.

Moose was very expensive. McCareins will not be.

Moose was old as dirt. McCareins is not young, but on the right side of 30.

Moose is slow, very slow. I don't think McCareins is a speed burner, but does bring more big play potential.

McCareins may not be great, but IMHO, he would be a great pickup. The staff obviously wants to develop Bradley and Hester. If we add another more expensive veteran, that would more greatly cut into the PT of the two young WRs. Adding a pair of veterans in the mold of Booker and McCareins helps our passing game, while at the same time, are not close to being big money or big ego enough that they will not hinder the development of our young guys.

I have no problem w/ this, though I would say that if Booker can not beat out Bradley or Hester, then we have problems. You might argue that if this happens, it means Bradley and Hester stepped up, but I have little confidence they can take that big of a leap that quickly.

More likely, I think we enter camp w/ Booker set at one position (though that can chance depending on play) while the other position is more open.

I have no problem w/ this, though I would say that if Booker can not beat out Bradley or Hester, then we have problems. You might argue that if this happens, it means Bradley and Hester stepped up, but I have little confidence they can take that big of a leap that quickly.

More likely, I think we enter camp w/ Booker set at one position (though that can chance depending on play) while the other position is more open.

I honestly don't think Booker can beat out Bradley. I think Booker will provide some veteran leadership. Thats why they brought him in and thats why he'll make the team, but talent wise...I think Bradley and maybe even Hass are better. Unfortunately, I think Hester, will be nothing more than a niche receiver. He definitely has more talent than all of the above, but I'm not sure he has the mental capabilities to be an every down guy. As for Booker, I really hope they don't confuse veteran presence with being a better player. It's nice to have that guy that can say 'hey I've been there before', but don't discount the heart of a young guy looking to take advantage of his opportunity. The big thing with our receivers is they're unproven, that doesn't mean they don't have more talent. I could see guys not getting a chance last year because we had our top 2 guys set in stone with Berrian and Moose. This year, reps should be split between all the guys equally until at least the second game of camp. May the best man win. If Booker comes in and looks equally as good as Bradley, Hass or whoever else they bring in...then I say he gets the upper hand, but if he is getting beat by the other guys and dropping balls, by no means should he get a pass.

McCareins attended high school in Chicago's suburbs and went to college at Northern Illinois. Chicago has little depth at receiver, and McCareins could ostensibly compete for a starting job. Still, he's shown he's basically a No. 3 receiver, and the Bears need a bona-fide starter. Tennessee and Washington have also shown interest.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

The Bears have informed DT Antonio Garay that he is not in their plans.

Garay is rehabilitating his right leg after breaking it on an illegal block by the Redskins' Chris Samuels, which Chicago will continue to pay for. Garay could have a tough time finding a reserve job coming off the injury.

The Bears were one of seven teams to skip Andre Woodson's pro day workout.

This could be the ultimate indicator of how far Woodson's stock has dropped this offseason, as the Bears are hardly in a position to stop scouting quarterbacks that could go on the first day of the draft. Still, they could just be disguising interest. They did make it out to Joe Flacco's pro day, however.

Restricted free agent Rashied Davis is generating "substantial interest" around the league.

It's partly because the Bears only offered him the low tender, which means opposing teams wouldn't have to give them additional compensation if they signed Davis. Davis' greatest value is on special teams, and the Bears will likely match any reasonable offer considering their lack of depth at the position.

I am going to leave the Hass aspect alone, as I know your position, but as far as Bradley goes, he has had opportunities, but has not stepped up.

Hey, I am not going to argue his talent. I would even agree that, in pure talent, he has it over Booker. But it take more than talent in the NFL. The thing I think everyone has to remember w/ Bradley is, he was far from developed in college. He was not even a starter, and FAR from polished. That is not the end of the world, but since coming to Chicago, he has dealt w/ injuries and other things, which has limited his development time further. So he is still relatively raw.

Does he have talent? Sure. But on the other hand, is he going to be ready to step into a starters role? I doubt that. My hope is he can be productive this year, while at the same time, taking steps in his development, but I simply do not see him being polished enough to be a starter and beating Booker. W/ our OL still unsettled, as well as QB and RB, I simply think we need Booker starting to give some semblance of experience on the field. We need a guy who is open and catches the ball. That will be Booker. While others have more talent, Booker is the one guy polished enough for our QB to count on.

McCairens, Booker, Hester, Bradley, Hass...not great, but not terrible. I've been a McCairens fan for a while. In 2004/2005, he had some pretty damn good seasons, and those numbers were as a #2 receiver behind Moss in 04 and Coles in 05.

Lloyd, McCariens, Booker, Hester, Bradley would be good, too, but now with the Lloyd signing, I doubt we snatch McCariens, unless it's a 1 year deal.

Lloyd, McCariens, Booker, Hester, Bradley would be good, too, but now with the Lloyd signing, I doubt we snatch McCariens, unless it's a 1 year deal.

Agreed. You figure it's necessary that we draft a WR, probably in round 3. After all, Bradley & Lloyd are both free agents this year, while Booker & Hester are free agents the year after that. That and at this point, we have no idea of 3 of our top 4 guys are any good.

A couple key differences.

Moose was very expensive. McCareins will not be.

Moose was old as dirt. McCareins is not young, but on the right side of 30.

Moose is slow, very slow. I don't think McCareins is a speed burner, but does bring more big play potential.

McCareins may not be great, but IMHO, he would be a great pickup. The staff obviously wants to develop Bradley and Hester. If we add another more expensive veteran, that would more greatly cut into the PT of the two young WRs. Adding a pair of veterans in the mold of Booker and McCareins helps our passing game, while at the same time, are not close to being big money or big ego enough that they will not hinder the development of our young guys.

I like this. Think of how many teams have had WR's like this who excel or look solid in one place and than struggle in a certain system and than head somewhere else and find things.

You have to remember, once you struggle for a new team you can get burried pretty quickly and have trouble coming out. That could be what happened to Justin and Lloyd, who both got burried on the depth charts and at that point had little chance to dig themselves out.

In a new system with a new staff they will have a new opportunity to prove themselves and both of these guys are still on the right side of 30 and have the ability to be good NFL WR's and I'd like the Bears to get as many of those type of guys as possible and hope that a couple stick (as well as Hester/Bradley who are the only in house guys we have with any ability, imo; Haas has great hands, but don't consider me in the Haas camp).

Plus financially speaking this is smart and should allow the Bears to be in position to trade for a superstar WR if one became available (and give them a contract) as well as work with Urlacher/Harris on extensions (and have room to sign one of Orton/Rex to a big deal if either of them prove themselves this year).

I am going to leave the Hass aspect alone, as I know your position, but as far as Bradley goes, he has had opportunities, but has not stepped up.

Hey, I am not going to argue his talent. I would even agree that, in pure talent, he has it over Booker. But it take more than talent in the NFL. The thing I think everyone has to remember w/ Bradley is, he was far from developed in college. He was not even a starter, and FAR from polished. That is not the end of the world, but since coming to Chicago, he has dealt w/ injuries and other things, which has limited his development time further. So he is still relatively raw.

Does he have talent? Sure. But on the other hand, is he going to be ready to step into a starters role? I doubt that. My hope is he can be productive this year, while at the same time, taking steps in his development, but I simply do not see him being polished enough to be a starter and beating Booker. W/ our OL still unsettled, as well as QB and RB, I simply think we need Booker starting to give some semblance of experience on the field. We need a guy who is open and catches the ball. That will be Booker. While others have more talent, Booker is the one guy polished enough for our QB to count on.

Unless BOoker is injured he is one of the starters. He has shown enough over the years that he is good enough to be a #2. He has very good hands, knows how to run routes, and has put up Moose like numbers his past couple seasons while being a 2nd/3rd option as opposed to a top option (all while dealing with quite possibly the worse QB play in the NFL).

I am completely confident in Booker having a 50-60 catch, 500-700 yd season assuming the Bears have decent QB play, a quality oline, and a decent running game. I also expect him to make tons of 3rd down catches. I think you'll see Lloyd/McCarens compete for a job as either the #3 or #1 type WR with Bradley/Berrian grabbing the other spot (and obviously the other player still getting substantial time). You really can use 4 WR's in this sort of system with one internchanging with another given the various skill-sets.

Bottom line I think you'll see Bradley/Hester get a lot of time (Bradley if he's healthy) and Booker be on the field almost always. You will than see Lloyd/McCarens battle for a spot with the other being a #5 type of guy who may end up getting cut in training camp (especially if the Bears draft a WR early).

What ever happened to Justin Rideau? I thought he was signed to like a one year contract towards the end of the season but never played?

He'll probably get another opportunity during training camp/preseason and than catch onto the practice squad or sign elsewhere. Given the fact that Lloyd/Booker/Bradley/Hester all appear to have spots (Lloyd obviously could stink and get cut and anyone can get hurt) plus a draft pick and maybe even McCarens the odds are stacked against Hass/Riddeau and anyone else).

He'll probably get another opportunity during training camp/preseason and than catch onto the practice squad or sign elsewhere. Given the fact that Lloyd/Booker/Bradley/Hester all appear to have spots (Lloyd obviously could stink and get cut and anyone can get hurt) plus a draft pick and maybe even McCarens the odds are stacked against Hass/Riddeau and anyone else).

I assume you mean Brandon Riddeau? He is still on the Bears roster:

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/Roster.html

We brought signed him for the last two games of the season. At the time, Zac Zaidman on the SCORE predicted that Riddeau we be on the active roster for the Bears final game ahead of Mike Hass. Mainly because Riddeau has better special team's skills. However, both guys remained inactive for the last game of the season.

If Riddeau couldn't beat out Hass last training camp, why would be be able to this year?

It appears we're going to let Rashied Davis go, yet we'll likely draft a WR fairly early. The Bears can carry six WR, but we really don't need to. (In 2006 we only carried 5.)

I assume you mean Brandon Riddeau? He is still on the Bears roster:

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/Roster.html

We brought signed him for the last two games of the season. At the time, Zac Zaidman on the SCORE predicted that Riddeau we be on the active roster for the Bears final game ahead of Mike Hass. Mainly because Riddeau has better special team's skills. However, both guys remained inactive for the last game of the season.

If Riddeau couldn't beat out Hass last training camp, why would be be able to this year?

It appears we're going to let Rashied Davis go, yet we'll likely draft a WR fairly early. The Bears can carry six WR, but we really don't need to. (In 2006 we only carried 5.)

Ya, Riddeau. He's on the active roster but won't be when the season starts next year (barring injuries or him having a ridiculous pre-season).

I have been assuming Davis will be let go, but I saw where the Bears will match any offer assuming it isn't excessive due to his special teams play. Personally I could care less in regards to Davis because I think Lloyd/McCarens are both upgrades to Davis.

I believe Booker is a slight upgrade to Moose (but I could see someone saying the opposite as well). The key is finding someone to do what Berrian did, which I think there are guys on the roster with the talent to do such (Bradley/Hester, but neither are guarantees) plus a day one draft pick.

However, the Bears do have Olsen with one full season and Clark to help make up for the loss of Berrian. Bottom line, I think the Bears WR position is in a better place than people say it is. That doesn't mean it is great, by all means it isn't, but I think it is still solid.

We need a #1 WR but there are many teams that can say that. We now have enough options from which we should be able to find at least a good #2 if not two or even three (among Lloyd, Hester, Bradley, and the rookie). Teams can survive in this league just fine without a bigtime #1 WR as long as there's good talent among the top 3 WRs. On top of that we do have two very good receiving options in our TEs.

I do like the idea of Hester being out slot WR. He's got the quickness needed for the role and keeping him there instead of trying to develop him into a #1 or #2 would steady his development. It would also give him less reps so he'd be able to handle his KR/PR responsibilities.