Will Archuletta be back???

bradjock

Boers & Bernstein reported on the SCORE Thursday, that the Bears want Kevin Payne to be the special team's replacement for Ayanbadejo, or at least Payne will have the first crack at winning that job.

This kind of surprising to me cause I was hoping Ayanbadejo would have first crack to take Mike Brown's job. (I like McGowan much better as a back-up.)

Then I realized that Archuletta is still on the team. I hate to say this, but doesn't it appear the Bears will bring him back? Angelo was quoted as saying the rookie safety class was "anemic." The FA group is thin, and most of the top guys are no longer available. I guess there's the chance we could trade him, but who the hell would want him?

We've unloaded everyone we likely don't want back except for Arch. So what are we waiting for? He ain't going to get any faster, and he looked bad on special teams.

The Bears have indicated they will bring him back. He isn't due to make much money and they believe he can be a very quality special teams player. I didn't see any indication where they plan on starting him at the safety position though.

Thats not to say he won't get an opportunity during training camp to show the Bears that he can do it, but right now I think they are looking at him solely as a backup/special teams guy and I think he can be pretty valuable in that roll (especially given that his contract isn't hurting anyone).

At one point I thought Arch was worthy of being here. Do not fully understand what the hell happened to him in DC however, it appears that what he had in St. Louis is now long gone. Personally if we are able to let him go without to much of a hit against the cap, it may be time to let him go. I kind of wish that we would have made a play at Asante Samuel as that would have improved our DBs a lot. Oh well, we'll just have to keep praying to the Football Gods that JA does something right along the way.

At one point I thought Arch was worthy of being here. Do not fully understand what the hell happened to him in DC however, it appears that what he had in St. Louis is now long gone. Personally if we are able to let him go without to much of a hit against the cap, it may be time to let him go. I kind of wish that we would have made a play at Asante Samuel as that would have improved our DBs a lot. Oh well, we'll just have to keep praying to the Football Gods that JA does something right along the way.

The Bears are very well set at the CB position, so going after Asante Samuel would have been fiscally irrisponsible. I'm not doubting that he isn't better than the CB's we have, but Vasher and Tillman are both above average corners who are signed to long term deals (I think Tillman is vastly under-rated around the NFL and thought he was stellar for the most part last season, while fighting through injuries). In addition to that you have Ricky Manning Jr., who was dissapointing last year and proved he is nothing more than a nickel back (he'll also be gone after this season) and Trumaine McBride (who I think is going to be a great nickel back and has the ability to be a solid to above average starting CB in time). That gives me 4 corners that I am comfortable with.

At the safety position you obviously don't know what to expect from Brown and I'm expecting nothing and than you have Payne (who got hurt early last year), Manning (I think he's going to have a great season, I just hope the Bears give him a god damn position and let him stick there), and not much else, imo. I'm guessing we will see a veteran safety released sometime in the next few months and the Bears will pick one up.

The Bears are very well set at the CB position, so going after Asante Samuel would have been fiscally irrisponsible. I'm not doubting that he isn't better than the CB's we have, but Vasher and Tillman are both above average corners who are signed to long term deals (I think Tillman is vastly under-rated around the NFL and thought he was stellar for the most part last season, while fighting through injuries). In addition to that you have Ricky Manning Jr., who was dissapointing last year and proved he is nothing more than a nickel back (he'll also be gone after this season) and Trumaine McBride (who I think is going to be a great nickel back and has the ability to be a solid to above average starting CB in time). That gives me 4 corners that I am comfortable with.

At the safety position you obviously don't know what to expect from Brown and I'm expecting nothing and than you have Payne (who got hurt early last year), Manning (I think he's going to have a great season, I just hope the Bears give him a god damn position and let him stick there), and not much else, imo. I'm guessing we will see a veteran safety released sometime in the next few months and the Bears will pick one up.

Don't sleep on Corey Graham hes a special teams beast. Dave Toub has got to be the best special teams coach in NFL History.

Don't sleep on Corey Graham hes a special teams beast. Dave Toub has got to be the best special teams coach in NFL History.

By all means, I think Graham showed that he could even be a quality nickel corner as soon as this upcoming season. I liked what I saw out of him in limited action, especially for someone taken as late as he was in the draft.

Archuletta is by no means a Ronnie Lott. But IMHO I think he was thinking to much last year and he is not a natural in the cover two system. As being an LB in college he is better at the line rather than chasing WR/TE down the field When we had the three safties in the game he did well because he was allowed to float to the ball. He'll be back but will be on the bench.

I got no problem with him making the minimum with good special teams play and being a backup. Hell, I wouldn't mind him in there on goalline plays either. Just as long as he doesn't have to cover anyone.

I actually do have a problem with him playing special teams. His second biggest problem (behind his coverage skills......waaaaay behind his cover skills) is the fact that he cannot wrap a guy up because he always tries for the big hit. we are counting on him flying down the field and making a solid tackle, and I just dont know that he can do that.

I actually do have a problem with him playing special teams. His second biggest problem (behind his coverage skills......waaaaay behind his cover skills) is the fact that he cannot wrap a guy up because he always tries for the big hit. we are counting on him flying down the field and making a solid tackle, and I just dont know that he can do that.

Agreed.

Arch's hand was broken last year. I don't see how you can get a reputation for being good in the box without being a good tackler ...though I guess it doesn't prove much about his tackling in space. In other words, although it might not have seemed like it last season, surely his second biggest problem is not tackling.