1. 1. Which QB do you draft?

• Prospect A
    • Prospect B
    • Prospect C
    • Prospect D
    • Prospect E
    • Prospect F
    • Prospect G

Someone did an interesting poll with profiles for quarterbacks where you had to pick one blind. I thought it might be interesting with this batch of profiles I found. I'll post the answers sometime later:

Prospect A: Sees the field well and plays with an aggressive mentality. Has a gunslinger mentality, a strong arm and a quick release. Throws with touch. Is accurate. Will throw before his receiver breaks and can hit receivers in stride. Does not lock on to receivers. Has pocket presence and poise. Is no more than decent athletically. Has played predominantly in shotgun formations and will have to learn dropback skills.

Prospect B: Four-year starter who is a natural leader. Is big and tough. Has a strong arm and can zip the ball into tight spots. Is a pretty good decision maker who sees the field well. Will take chances. Sometimes needs to give up on a play sooner to avoid mistakes. Has some elusiveness as a runner. Can be flustered into bad throws. Has average accuracy.

Prospect C: Has ideal size, a strong arm and an effortless throwing motion. Is capable of the spectacular throw. Can throw a pass on a dime but is somewhat inconsistent with accuracy. Isn't afraid to make mistakes. Is calm in the pocket, athletic and can escape pressure. Might have he most potential of any quarterback in the draft. Has questionsable field vision.

Prospect D: Good game manager who doesn't make many costly mistakes. Checks off covered receivers and shows poise. Shows solid athleticism. Has ordinary arm strength. Throws a nice, catchable ball. Doesn't have the kind of ability normally associated with a franchise quarterback.

Prosepct E: Good accuracy and wonderful intangibles. Prepares well and manages a game efficiently. Shows command of his offense. Has average arm strength and movement ability. Is effective on short routes. Performance is erratic. Similar to the Panthers' Jake Delhomme, but might lack Delhomme's execeptional feel for the game.

Prospect F: Good caretaker quarterback who makes pretty solid decisions. Has decent athleticism and arm strength. Played in a quarterback-friendly system and wasn't asked to do anything ambitious. Has good technique but is a bit mechanical. Is an accurate short passer, but hasn't consistently been asked to make intermediate and deep throws. Tough player who will hang in there and take a hit. His instincts and ability to feel pressure and see the field are questionable.

Prospect G: Big, strong pocket passer who.s been productive throughout his college career. Fires the pass between defenders, easily gets the ball downfield and zips the outs. Displays a sense of timing, nicely places his passes and does not have receivers waiting on the throw. Slow setting up in the pocket and has a low trajectory for a tall passer. Immobile and cannot escape the rush. Erratic, misreads defenses and throws the ball into coverage.

With that set of profiles before you, who do you want to see on the Bears?

Someone did an interesting poll with profiles for quarterbacks where you had to pick one blind. I thought it might be interesting with this batch of profiles I found. I'll post the answers sometime later:

Prospect A: Sees the field well and plays with an aggressive mentality. Has a gunslinger mentality, a strong arm and a quick release. Throws with touch. Is accurate. Will throw before his receiver breaks and can hit receivers in stride. Does not lock on to receivers. Has pocket presence and poise. Is no more than decent athletically. Has played predominantly in shotgun formations and will have to learn dropback skills.

Prospect B: Four-year starter who is a natural leader. Is big and tough. Has a strong arm and can zip the ball into tight spots. Is a pretty good decision maker who sees the field well. Will take chances. Sometimes needs to give up on a play sooner to avoid mistakes. Has some elusiveness as a runner. Can be flustered into bad throws. Has average accuracy.

Prospect C: Has ideal size, a strong arm and an effortless throwing motion. Is capable of the spectacular throw. Can throw a pass on a dime but is somewhat inconsistent with accuracy. Isn't afraid to make mistakes. Is calm in the pocket, athletic and can escape pressure. Might have he most potential of any quarterback in the draft. Has questionsable field vision.

Prospect D: Good game manager who doesn't make many costly mistakes. Checks off covered receivers and shows poise. Shows solid athleticism. Has ordinary arm strength. Throws a nice, catchable ball. Doesn't have the kind of ability normally associated with a franchise quarterback.

Prosepct E: Good accuracy and wonderful intangibles. Prepares well and manages a game efficiently. Shows command of his offense. Has average arm strength and movement ability. Is effective on short routes. Performance is erratic. Similar to the Panthers' Jake Delhomme, but might lack Delhomme's execeptional feel for the game.

Prospect F: Good caretaker quarterback who makes pretty solid decisions. Has decent athleticism and arm strength. Played in a quarterback-friendly system and wasn't asked to do anything ambitious. Has good technique but is a bit mechanical. Is an accurate short passer, but hasn't consistently been asked to make intermediate and deep throws. Tough player who will hang in there and take a hit. His instincts and ability to feel pressure and see the field are questionable.

Prospect G: Big, strong pocket passer who.s been productive throughout his college career. Fires the pass between defenders, easily gets the ball downfield and zips the outs. Displays a sense of timing, nicely places his passes and does not have receivers waiting on the throw. Slow setting up in the pocket and has a low trajectory for a tall passer. Immobile and cannot escape the rush. Erratic, misreads defenses and throws the ball into coverage.

Obviously, it'd be E, which I'm 95% sure it's Matt Ryan, however, there is no way he falls to us.

I decided to go with answer B which seems like a good choice if I was drafting a QB. Grossman's not very accurate so I can live with this guys average accuracy and not throwing the pick at the wrong time. B works for me.

this one is tougher but my guesses are:

Prospect A: Joe Flacco

Prospect B: Chad Henne

Prospect C: Josh Johnson

Prospect D: Colt Brennan

Prospect E: Matt Ryan

Prospect F: Brian Brohm

Prospect G: Andre' Woodson

Nice job on the poll, I did the last one just to see who people would pick without a name attached. The two guys I like the most are Brohm or Brennan. Flacco is the hype and though I wouldn't mind him he seems like a mix of Orton/Grossman.

When I put up the poll, I figured people would consider the top 7 QBs in the draft and guess:

Prospect A: Joe Flacco

Prospect B: Chad Henne

Prospect C: Andre Woodson

Prospect D: Matt Ryan

Prospect E: John David Booty

Prospect F: Brian Brohm

Prospect G: Erik Ainge

Which is, as was noted, completely wrong. Oh, they're the top 7 QBs expected to be drafted. The top 7 QBs expected to be drafted in 2005. The correct matchups are:

Prospect A: Kyle Orton (106th overall, Bears)

Prospect B: Charlie Frye (67th overall, Browns)

Prospect C: Jason Campbell (25th overall, Redskins)

Prospect D: Alex Smith (First overall, 49ers)

Prospect E: David Greene (85th overall, Seahawks)

Prospect F: Aaron Rogers (24th overall, Packers)

Prospect G: Andrew Walter (69th overall, Raiders)

All the profiles are from the Sporting News issue the week of the draft, and I had to omit some school/coordinator/injury specific stuff, but everything else is verbatim from the magazine (except for Walter, who wasn't in the magazine, but who I got from CNNSI's profile). I just thought it was interesting how the two classes compare and interesting to remind ourselves that as much as we look at drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds as a starter a few years down the road, when you look at that group, you have two clear starters next year (Rogers & Campbell), two that will compete for a starting job (Orton and Smith, who I don't think they're handing the job next year), and three who are probably third on the depth chart next year (Walter, Frye, Greene). Meanwhile, it looks like Derek Anderson (213th overall) might be the most successful.