Hackett signs w/Carolina

sprout

Another FA WR option gone:

from PFT:

HACKETT LANDS IN CAROLINA

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2008, 12:19 p.m.

The Carolina Panthers continue to load up on pass catchers who might benefit from all the attention that Steve Smith receives.

After bringing back Muhsin Muhammad, the team has now added D.J. Hackett, formerly of the Seattle Seahawks.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Adam Caplan of Scout.com, Hackett will sign a two-year, $3.5 million deal with the Panthers.

Hackett has shown flashes of ability during his NFL career, but that potential wasn’t enough to get a team to open its wallet wider than $1.75 million per year.

Other teams interested in Hackett were the Seahawks, the Redskins, and the Buccaneers.

The Panthers also have Dwayne Jarrett, a second-round pick in 2007, and Travis Taylor, a well-traveled first-round pick of the Ravens in 2000

$1.75 million per year is not a bad deal for Carolina. I don't see the Bears acquiring a WR in FA.

You may be right. We picked up Booker and LLoyd, have Bradley & Hester who the Bears Brass are high in, and Haas who I would love to see get more reps. If we add a WR near the top of the draft and maybe another near the end of the draft I think we will be fine. Especially with us wanting Olsen to get more looks and Clark having such a good year in 2007.

Also, I am sure JA is expecting more WRs will be cut from teams between now and season startup. These WRs will come cheap as they will have little time to negotiate. Could be some good bargains there that are better than the ones we are looking at now.

I was high on picking up Hackett but he has had a lot of injury problems, we already are concerned about Bradley, who has great potential, but has had injury problems. I guess it makes sense not to pick up another WR with the same problems.