Jonathan Stewart out 4-6 months

nfoligno

I just read that RB Jonathan Stewart had surgery on his toe, and will be for the next 4-6 months. He has been considered a mid 1st round pick, and there have even been some mocks w/ us taking him. His agent says he should be ready for the start of training camp, but that is only if his rehab goes according to plan.

So the questions are,

(1) how far will he fall. He can't workout for teams, and his injury (at least) takes him out of mini-camps and puts into question his being ready to start training camp.

(2) If he fell to us in the 2nd, would he be considered a steal, or too great of a risk?

I honestly have no idea how far he'll fall.

If he does fall in to the 2nd, I think that's an acceptable risk for the Bears. There's no reason this should be a career ending injury, but there's also no reason why I'd want to spend my first rounder on a RB who might not be ready for training camp this year, especially if I was drafting in the latter part of the first round (And hence, had a winning team last year).

If he was projected to be a late first rounder, he might drop to early 2nd, Dunno. If he's there at mid-second and the Bears are satisfied his injury isn't serious, then that's a reasonable gamble.

I just read that RB Jonathan Stewart had surgery on his toe, and will be for the next 4-6 months. He has been considered a mid 1st round pick, and there have even been some mocks w/ us taking him. His agent says he should be ready for the start of training camp, but that is only if his rehab goes according to plan.

So the questions are,

(1) how far will he fall. He can't workout for teams, and his injury (at least) takes him out of mini-camps and puts into question his being ready to start training camp.

(2) If he fell to us in the 2nd, would he be considered a steal, or too great of a risk?

The one thing I wonder is this: How many teams are desperate for running back help? Most teams have either filled the position in free agency, or they're hoping to find a "bargain." Not to mention, there's other good RB's still available, although they're older. At some point Shaun Alexander is going to go, and Deshaun Foster from Carolina is still there.

I'd imagine that most teams are like the Bears and have greater needs, as the Bears need O-line help.

I think this easily puts him into the 2nd round, although I don't know if he'll still be there for the Bears. If so, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

The one thing I wonder is this: How many teams are desperate for running back help? Most teams have either filled the position in free agency, or they're hoping to find a "bargain." Not to mention, there's other good RB's still available, although they're older. At some point Shaun Alexander is going to go, and Deshaun Foster from Carolina is still there.

Deshaun Foster signed with the 49ers.

Below are the teams and the RB's ** bigger need at RB, * depth

Buf-M Lynch

Mia-R. Brown*

NE-L. Maroney

NYJ-T. Jones **

Bal-W. McGahee

Cincy-R. Johnson **

Cle-J. Lewis

Pit-W. Parker *

Hou-C. Brown,A. Green, R. Dayne, D. Walker **

Ind-J. Addai