Peter King on the QBs in the draft

dawhizz

I'm not a huge Peter King guy (his fantasy advice in particular usually stinks) but he does talk to a ton of people in football, so it seems worthwhile to see what he says about these guys. I find it particularly interesting that he sees Andre Woodson in the 4th-6th round. I know he's had a fall from grace, but that seems pretty silly to me. I also can't quite shake the possibility no one is talking about that Matt Ryan is there at 14. We've seen QBs fall in recent years, and in this case it would only take three teams passing (Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, unless Carolina shocks and would take him) since no one behind us would trade up for him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Sure, QBs and other players fall, but I simply do not think Ryan falls to us, and that appears to be the common belief as well. Quinn fell last year, but was also the #2 QB. Ryan is the #1 QB, so that means no team takes a QB before us, which I simply question.

Could it happen? Sure. But how great the need is at QB for those teams makes it unlikely IMHO. I would add that, besides the teams you mentioned,

KC is far from set or solid at QB, and could look at Ryan if he falls to them.

NYJs have been rumored interested in Ryan, or QB in general. Pennington is on the way out, and there are questions whether Clemens is a franchise QB.

Buffalo could be interested as well. Loseman is on the way out, and while they have Edwards, if Ryan is considered that much better....

Point is, it isn't just 2 or 3 teams. Miami and Atlanta get the most talk, but that is also largely because Ryan is not expected to fall past Atlanta, who is in dire need of a QB. If he does fall past Atlanta, KC and NY could be intersted, and few expect him to get past Baltimore.

Like I said, anything can happen, but I think this is simply considered so unlikely, that is why it has not generated discussion. Similar to how no one is talking about Jake Long. Could he fall? Anything can happen, but the liklihood is so slim that it doesn't warrant discussion.

Completing 80% of passes with no pass rush and no DBs out there? Doesn't sound great, and he throws a lousy spiral, not a total duck but definitely a ball that will not easily get through a windy day at Soldier Field. I'll agree that he does find a way to win games but he also forced a lot of passes last year. Was that out of necessity or is he the next Grossman?

Sure, QBs and other players fall, but I simply do not think Ryan falls to us, and that appears to be the common belief as well. Quinn fell last year, but was also the #2 QB. Ryan is the #1 QB, so that means no team takes a QB before us, which I simply question.

Could it happen? Sure. But how great the need is at QB for those teams makes it unlikely IMHO. I would add that, besides the teams you mentioned,

KC is far from set or solid at QB, and could look at Ryan if he falls to them.

NYJs have been rumored interested in Ryan, or QB in general. Pennington is on the way out, and there are questions whether Clemens is a franchise QB.

Buffalo could be interested as well. Loseman is on the way out, and while they have Edwards, if Ryan is considered that much better....

Point is, it isn't just 2 or 3 teams. Miami and Atlanta get the most talk, but that is also largely because Ryan is not expected to fall past Atlanta, who is in dire need of a QB. If he does fall past Atlanta, KC and NY could be intersted, and few expect him to get past Baltimore.

Like I said, anything can happen, but I think this is simply considered so unlikely, that is why it has not generated discussion. Similar to how no one is talking about Jake Long. Could he fall? Anything can happen, but the liklihood is so slim that it doesn't warrant discussion.

Apparently the Bears agree. They didn't even attend Ryan's pro day yesterday (according to CNNSI).