Specter says there was taping in SB by Walsh...

madlithuanian

SPECTER TO LIMBAUGH: “THERE WAS FILMING”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2008, 5:54 p.m.

Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) is promoting a book (which, frankly, should make reasonable people wonder even more about his motives for getting in the middle of the NFL’s business). And thus Senator Specter is doing the kinds of thinks that people who promote books do — he’s seeking out opportunities to talk about the book on radio programs.

On Friday, he appeared on Rush Limbaugh’s show. A full transcript of the interview is available at Limbaugh’s web site.

At the tail end of the interview, Limbaugh asked Specter about the status of the inquiry into the Patriots’ cheating scandal.

Here’s the exchange:

“RUSH: Lot of football fans in this audience. Since the Super Bowl we’ve heard very little about this guy in Hawaii, Matt Walsh, that claims to have videotape of the New England Patriots and the St. Louis Rams walk through the Saturday before their Super Bowl. What’s the status of that?

“SEN. SPECTER: Well, the status of it is that there has been an exchange of correspondence between Walsh’s lawyers and the NFL lawyers. I’ve seen the letters. Walsh’s lawyer let me see them on a promise of confidentiality, and I believe an objective and fair reading of those letters is that the NFL is discouraging Walsh from coming forward.

“RUSH: Really? Because their statements are just exact opposite.

“SEN. SPECTER: Well, the NFL says they’re trying to encourage them, and I issued the challenge to the commissioner a couple of Saturdays ago, and they put out a Sunday release that they were making substantial progress. Well, we’ve had almost two weeks since that Sunday release, and nothing has happened. I believe those. . . . Listen, I think the NFL has a duty of integrity. They have an anti-trust exemption, which gives them a preferred position. They are role models. If you can cheat in the NFL, you can cheat in college or high school or sixth grade math test. I think ultimately, Rush, if we get enough fire under it, they’re going to have to show those letters — and when they do, they’re going to have to change their tune and let Walsh testify, because those reports are looking pretty strong, but there was filming for the 2002 Super Bowl.”

Those last eight words are, in our view, the bombshell. Specter said on Limbaugh’s show, which is heard by millions throughout the country, that “there was filming for the 2002 Super Bowl.”

Was there? The Boston Herald reported that there was. The team has denied it. Walsh has said nothing.

Maybe Specter misspoke. Maybe he meant to say “that” instead of “but”.

Or maybe he didn’t.

Either way, it’s a bold claim from Specter, and it makes us even more anxious to hear what Walsh has to say. Because one way or the other this thing isn’t going away until we hear from Walsh.