League rejects 'Devin Hester Rule' on punts

adam

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Le...F?urn=nfl,74820

The NFL has no interest in doing Devin Hester any favors, so there will be no "Devin Hester rule" passed any time soon according to the Chicago Tribune.

In recent weeks, the league considered legislating against punting out of bounds-which teams did frequently when opposing Hester last season. A survey was sent to head coaches and general managers to get their reaction to such a rule, but the response was overwhelmingly against changing what often is a strategic move to trap an opponent inside his own 20-yard line rather than kicking into the end zone for a touchback. The NFL's competition committee also had a discussion about enacting a new rule, but it didn't go very far.

"Directional kicking is a difficult thing to do," said Colts President Bill Polian, a member of the competition committee. "We saw no evidence that [punting out of bounds] is growing in use. So it's not an issue we had a lot of concern about. Very few people can do it, and the odds of it backfiring on you are pretty high. If you shank it, it's 20 yards, not 40. It's a tough skill to execute."

I never even thought about something like that.

There is no way that would ever be implemented, but it was funny that they even considered it. Must have been for entertainment value. Just think of how many TD's Hester would have.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Le...F?urn=nfl,74820

I never even thought about something like that.

There is no way that would ever be implemented, but it was funny that they even considered it. Must have been for entertainment value. Just think of how many TD's Hester would have.

Agreed. Profootballtalk.com had a list of all new rules. That one was possibly related to Hester, another was related to a Bear's play:

"The league also has changed two rules regarding fumbles: A legal forward handoff that is dropped is now a fumble, as is a direct snap from center that hits the ground before it is touched by the quarterback. In the past, the forward handoff would have been an incomplete pass and the botched snap would have been a false start."

Was it vs. Minnesota that Kreutz's snap got caught in the mud and didn't get close to Griese? Minny or whoever thought they had the ball and it was ruled . . . I don't even remember what it was ruled. I'd never seen that before and I couldn't believe it.

I think it was the Philly game...

Agreed. Profootballtalk.com had a list of all new rules. That one was possibly related to Hester, another was related to a Bear's play:

"The league also has changed two rules regarding fumbles: A legal forward handoff that is dropped is now a fumble, as is a direct snap from center that hits the ground before it is touched by the quarterback. In the past, the forward handoff would have been an incomplete pass and the botched snap would have been a false start."

Was it vs. Minnesota that Kreutz's snap got caught in the mud and didn't get close to Griese? Minny or whoever thought they had the ball and it was ruled . . . I don't even remember what it was ruled. I'd never seen that before and I couldn't believe it.