What I know about Chris Williams

jason

I'll tell you what guys, I love the Chris Williams pick.

I saw him play twice this year, once against Mississippi, and the finale against Wake Forest. This is what I remember seeing/thinking:

1) He seems very fast

2) He almost always made the DE go really wide

3) He seemed like he had quick hands or quick extension of the arms once the Defensive player engaged.

But this is the most important thing I remember from each game:

He looked like he was playing against a little kid.

I don't mean that the other person was smaller. What I mean is, when you are playing with a little kid, you can often do things that are ridiculously unsuccessful against adults. That is what appeared to be happening against two big schools with decent talent...one of which is an SEC school. He dominated. It was the equivalent to dribbling a ball behind a little kid, then making him turn, and then bringing it back where he doesn't see it. He was the And 1 Mix Tape of Offensive Linemen when I watched.

This is a great pick for the Bears, and he'll probably start immediately. That should bring Tait to the RT spot, and upgrade two spots at the same time.

2008 starting Oline:

Willaims LT, St Clair LOG, Kreutz, draft pick #70 or 90, Tait RT.

I think St. Clair played well enough at LG last year that he gets another shot there to start the season. Keeping him at LG means you have a veteran next to Williams to help out. Not that StClair has tons of experience there but he's better off than a rookie OG. Garza goes to the bench and we insert rookie OG next to Tait. Backups are Garza and Beekman and probably another OT prospect with a late round pick.

2008 starting Oline:

Willaims LT, St Clair LOG, Kreutz, Garza, Tait RT.

I think Garza can return to his 2006 form because he won't have to worry about watching his right. I also don't think there is a guard prospect that will be able to contribute right away.

Another possibility would be to wait for more cap causalities and first cuts to find a right guard.