Points of View, May 12, 2008

tshanno

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=242

The Bears

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times says that Kyle Orton believes the wide receiver position has been “upgraded”:

“The guys have been there [in the offseason program]. The receivers have been there and I’m real excited about them. I think we’ve got a lot of talent and really upgraded at the position.”

Biggs suggests that this may have been a veiled swipe at Muhsin Muhammad, who had a bad habit of throwing QBs under the bus when things weren't going well.

Could be. But I think they're going to miss Muhammad more than most people think. For whatever reason, the WRs started to perform a lot better the day he showed up. I'd hate to think that they will go back to the level they were at before with him gone.

I'm tired of picking at Cedric Benson and I didn't want to forget to mention something positive about him today. With all of the bad publicity lately its too easy to let the fact that he's actually attending voluntary workouts slide by. This is something that he did not do last year and, in my opinion, it cost him. It cost him in terms of being in shape when he showed up to camp and it probably cost him in terms of camaraderie with his teammates. An offseason with strength and conditioning coach Rusty Jones could do wonders for Benson. Its a proactive step that he, himself, has taken in and effort to improve and actually does provide some hope that he'll be better this year.

There's a pretty good article from MPNnow in Rochester, NY on hometown boy and undrafted free agent Bear OL Ryan Poles. It has a number of good quotes and is worth the read. On the rookie camp right after the draft:

“From how I think I did and from what the coaches had to say I think it went OK. They even tried me out at center. I think that says a lot.”

Yes, it does. It means that the Bears are planning for a future without Olin Kreutz. A wise move but one wonders if that means Josh Beekman isn't making the grade.

From the same article:

“'The tryout was helmet only, no pads, and it was a fast-paced practice where you quickly moved from drill to drill. The drills were designed to steadily increase in speed until it got up to what the coaches called NFL speed. I think I did pretty good.'

“It went on like that for three days.”

This is something I noticed consistently in many of the articles about mini-camps that I read over the weekend. Teams are obsessed with getting rookies to NFL speed as quickly as possible. It's the difference between a guy like Garrett Wolfe making the grade or not. It's huge. Glad to see that recognition on the part of the Bears as well.

From the same article:

“Yeah, there’s not much money right now, due to my past injury status. But to tell you the truth, I’d rather have it that way. No bonus money, no contract money until you make the team. I feel that having that money in your pocket might take the drive away. I can feed off of having that money in front of me. As a young kid you have to have your head on straight. All that money in your pocket and it might take away that drive.”

Tell me you aren't rooting for this kid.

Elsewhere

New Bears offensive tackle and apparent starter on the left side Chris Williams should thank his lucky stars. New Texan's left tackle Duane Brown has been handed the job in Houston without taking a snap and, as you might expect, the old starter Ephraim Salaam cannot be happy. Thank goodness Bears GM Jerry Angelo had the foresight to release Fred Miller before the draft and didn't make a new situation worse for Williams. No one on the team can blame him for the fact that Miller lost his starting job, let alone for his departure. I can't imagine how uncomfortable Brown, a guy who most people believe was a reach to begin with, must feel.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak is gushing about DE Mario Williams: “That light went on for Mario somewhere last year about Week 7 or 8. Everybody saw it, and if you watch practice right now you see him at another level. I think the sky’s the limit for him. I don’t want to sit here and say too much; I just love the way he works. I love the way he handles himself. Football is very important to Mario, and he’s working his way toward a big, big year.”

I'm thinking the Texans are going to have the last laugh on that 2006 draft. Something tells me Reggie Bush, while a valuable weapon, will never be the all around back that you'd like him to be. The jury is still out on Vince Young. But right now I have to say I'd rather have the pass rushing defensive end.

Texans' rookie Antwaun Molden on the intense coaching style of defensive backs coach Joe Hoke: “It was coaching on every level. On every level, you have to adapt to the environment, and it’s a hostile environment out here. It’s very up-tempo, very up-beat and that’s how it is around here.”

Welcome to the NFL. An up-tempo, up-beat, hostile environment. Well, he's interesting, I'll say that.

This from Cowboys DB Roy Williams over the weekend: “I'm tired about worrying about the fans. The fans are only around when things are good. I want supporters."

Hey, Roy, we all want supporters. Unfortunately, we live in the real world and you still have to earn it.

One Final Thought

From the above referenced article on undrafted free agent signee, Ryan Poles:

“You could hear the determination in his voice. A tattoo on his arm points to that determination. It reads 'Dream and Conquer.'

“'A lot of people dream and wait for that dream to happen,' Poles said. 'Live the dream on your terms. Go out and pursue that dream. Not wait for it to happen. A lot of people wait. I live by that saying tattooed on my arm and it’s helped me to get where I am.'”

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=242

Could be. But I think they're going to miss Muhammad more than most people think. For whatever reason, the WRs started to perform a lot better the day he showed up. I'd hate to think that they will go back to the level they were at before with him gone.

There's a pretty good article from MPNnow in Rochester, NY on hometown boy and undrafted free agent Bear OL Ryan Poles. It has a number of good quotes and is worth the read. On the rookie camp right after the draft:

“From how I think I did and from what the coaches had to say I think it went OK. They even tried me out at center. I think that says a lot.”

Yes, it does. It means that the Bears are planning for a future without Olin Kreutz. A wise move but one wonders if that means Josh Beekman isn't making the grade.

From the same article:

“'The tryout was helmet only, no pads, and it was a fast-paced practice where you quickly moved from drill to drill. The drills were designed to steadily increase in speed until it got up to what the coaches called NFL speed. I think I did pretty good.'

“It went on like that for three days.”

This is something I noticed consistently in many of the articles about mini-camps that I read over the weekend. Teams are obsessed with getting rookies to NFL speed as quickly as possible. It's the difference between a guy like Garrett Wolfe making the grade or not. It's huge. Glad to see that recognition on the part of the Bears as well.

From the same article:

“Yeah, there’s not much money right now, due to my past injury status. But to tell you the truth, I’d rather have it that way. No bonus money, no contract money until you make the team. I feel that having that money in your pocket might take the drive away. I can feed off of having that money in front of me. As a young kid you have to have your head on straight. All that money in your pocket and it might take away that drive.”

Tell me you aren't rooting for this kid.

Three points:

1) Like to read your stuff Tom. Has info that it'd take a while to track down. Keep it up.

2) I disagree with Moose. I don't think we're going to miss him, if anything, it may allow the younger players to step up now. And yes, he always threw the QB under the bus.

3) Oh, I'm pulling for Poles. The reads make him appear like a kid with his head on straight, and God knows we need a few of those, and OLmen at that. I also read on KFFL that we signed him to a contract.

Three points:

1) Like to read your stuff Tom. Has info that it'd take a while to track down. Keep it up.

2) I disagree with Moose. I don't think we're going to miss him, if anything, it may allow the younger players to step up now. And yes, he always threw the QB under the bus.

3) Oh, I'm pulling for Poles. The reads make him appear like a kid with his head on straight, and God knows we need a few of those, and OLmen at that. I also read on KFFL that we signed him to a contract.

Agree good stuff.

Agree with the Moose point. A possesion receiver should never be at the top of the league for drops. And then blame the QB's. I never thought he was the "captain" everyone made him out to be.

I like alot of the 7th round and FA linemen we brought in, although just cause someone took some snaps at center doesn't mean Kruetz is gone.

Agree good stuff.

Agree with the Moose point. A possesion receiver should never be at the top of the league for drops. And then blame the QB's. I never thought he was the "captain" everyone made him out to be.

I like alot of the 7th round and FA linemen we brought in, although just cause someone took some snaps at center doesn't mean Kruetz is gone.

Yeah i dont think Kruetz is gone I thought he just got a contract extension to end his career as a Bear.

Great job Tom! Please keep these up! A few things I'd comment on:

1. I agree with Az that we won't miss Moose, but I'd be disagreeing if we hadn't signed Marty Booker.

2. I hope like hell Cedric truly has had a wake-up call. Yes, I haven't hated a Bear player this much since the Cade McNown days, but if he could not suck this season, that'd be great.

3. I don't know about the Chris Williams & Fred Miller. Sure it's good Williams isn't looking over his shoulder, but how smart is it to throw a rookie into the 2nd most difficult offensive position?

4. Finding a guy to replace Kreutz is like the Packers drafting Aaron Rogers 3 years ago to replace Favre. It won't happen until Kreutz is ready.

Agree good stuff.

Booker is younger, better, and doesn't throw his teammates under the bus.

Peace :dabears

First, thanks for the compliment. I appreciate the encouragement from everyone.

The points on Moose are well taken. He definitely had his minuses. What prompted the comment was the idea that he was tutoring younger WRs. Maybe the others are ready to take up that burden now. I hope so

Tom S.

Oh, I don't think he's gone by a long shot. I just think its occurred to the Bears over the last couple years that there's no depth there. they're an injury away from haveing not much at center. I'm sure that makes Angelo uncomfortable.

I had heard that Beekman was being groomed for this role. But it could be they're strting to think about him in that guard spot. Word is that they think he's a little small for it but you never know. I'm sure he'll get his shot.

Tom S.

2. I hope like hell Cedric truly has had a wake-up call. Yes, I haven't hated a Bear player this much since the Cade McNown days, but if he could not suck this season, that'd be great.

I dislike him so much I actually feel guilty. I know he can't be *that* bad. But I have a thing about kids that don't take personal responsibility for their actions, particularly on the field in Benson's case.

Benson makes my teeth itch.

Tom S.

First, thanks for the compliment. I appreciate the encouragement from everyone.

The points on Moose are well taken. He definitely had his minuses. What prompted the comment was the idea that he was tutoring younger WRs. Maybe the others are ready to take up that burden now. I hope so

Tom S.

Ahh so thats why everyone started dropping balls and Berrian thought he was better than he is. lol