Graham over McBride?

nfoligno

I have not seen this talked about, but w/ Tillman out the last couple days, Graham, not McBride, was getting the start. Does this not surprise anyone else? McBride is not injured, is he?

McBride developed quicker than Graham, but Graham was the more highly touted prospect. Man, that would be a huge lift to our secondary depth if Graham were able to step up, while also having McBride.

I have not seen this talked about, but w/ Tillman out the last couple days, Graham, not McBride, was getting the start. Does this not surprise anyone else? McBride is not injured, is he?

McBride developed quicker than Graham, but Graham was the more highly touted prospect. Man, that would be a huge lift to our secondary depth if Graham were able to step up, while also having McBride.

Plus that Nebraska kid gives us some great depth. Hopefully that will give Bowman a chance to develop.

My guess is that they see McBride's size and quickness as a better slot matchup than Graham, who is bigger and better matchup on the outside receivers. So they want to keep McBride in the slot to give him reps there and give Graham reps on the outside, particularly with their problems with injuries to Tillman and Vasher in recent years. I wouldn't read it as seeing Graham as better than McBride, but as a better matchup given what they ask those spots to do.

That is possible. If you were to play Vasher and McBride, we would have a pair of starting CBs at 5'10 and 5'9. Ouch.

At the same time, I would think you simply put in there the best player. Size aside, if McBride is better, I would think he would start over Graham. So while it could be many things, that Graham is getting reps starting seems like a good thing to me.

Graham was always touted as a good cover guy coming out of college but he was considered to weak and needed a year to beef up. He ended the season playing well on special teams though and it's good to hear that he earned some time with the first team.