7 years and he still doesn't get it

AZ54

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4766

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – When the Bears resumed OTA workouts Wednesday at Halas Hall, Terrence Metcalf lined up with the No. 1 offense at left guard as he has done throughout the offseason.

The seventh-year pro is penciled in as the starter, but he knows that he must perform better than he did last season when he was benched after taking over for the injured Ruben Brown.

Metcalf_inside061305.jpg

Terrence Metcalf has played in 78 games with 25 starts in six years with the Bears. “It’s a huge opportunity,” Metcalf said. “I feel like it’s time for me to step out and play, just do what I know I can do, do what I know the coaches believe that I can do. That’s pretty much it.

“I feel very prepared for it. All it is is putting in the work, putting in the time in the classroom, doing extra work and doing whatever I need to do to be physically ready to get on the field.”

....skipping ahead in the article....

Asked what Metcalf must do to cement the starting left guard position in training camp, Turner said: “Just being consistent with his techniques and fundamentals, and consistent with the mental aspects of it assignment-wise and adjustment-wise.

“The biggest thing that Harry [Hiestand] will be working with him on is just his overall techniques and fundamentals with his hand placement, his feet, his sets and just the attention to detail, and Harry is as good as there is at zeroing in on that.”

====================================

After all these years our coaches still have to teach him his techniques and fundamentals? Realizing that maintaining solid fundamentals is always a good thing but in this case that's a joke. How many years with Turner's offense and (if you read the entire article) this guy still doesn't know his assignments on plays? If somebody doesn't step up and take this job from him we're in trouble. If none of the young guys step up I'm hoping at the very least Chris Williams is doing well enough that we can move St. Clair back to LG. It's too early to cut Metcalf but he seems headed in that direction.

They talk about his "technique" . . . at this point isn't that a nice way of saying he's not very good?

How many times has he been given the chance to start in previous situations and lost the job? Several.

Metcalf's an NFL back-up at best. I don't blame the guy for that. He is what he is. I'm pissed at JA and the coaching staff for trying to say he might be our starting LG next season. That's not fair to Metcalf and it's not fair to the fans.

They talk about his "technique" . . . at this point isn't that a nice way of saying he's not very good?

How many times has he been given the chance to start in previous situations and lost the job? Several.

Metcalf's an NFL back-up at best. I don't blame the guy for that. He is what he is. I'm pissed at JA and the coaching staff for trying to say he might be our starting LG next season. That's not fair to Metcalf and it's not fair to the fans.

You can look at that in two ways. First he's being handed the job but there's also the possibility that we're starting to see the Lovie of old who made guys earn their playing time. Keep the carrot out in front of the younger guys and make them work for the job. I'm ok with it if that's the situation, however, if we just don't have the talent to challenge Metcalf then we're in a really bad spot. I fear the latter which is why putting St. Clair back at LG seems like a good idea to me.

name='AZ54' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:00 PM' post='39963']

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4766

....skipping ahead in the article....

Asked what Metcalf must do to cement the starting left guard position in training camp, Turner said: “Just being consistent with his techniques and fundamentals, and consistent with the mental aspects of it assignment-wise and adjustment-wise.

“The biggest thing that Harry [Hiestand] will be working with him on is just his overall techniques and fundamentals with his hand placement, his feet, his sets and just the attention to detail, and Harry is as good as there is at zeroing in on that.”

====================================

After all these years our coaches still have to teach him his techniques and fundamentals? Realizing that maintaining solid fundamentals is always a good thing but in this case that's a joke. How many years with Turner's offense and (if you read the entire article) this guy still doesn't know his assignments on plays? If somebody doesn't step up and take this job from him we're in trouble. If none of the young guys step up I'm hoping at the very least Chris Williams is doing well enough that we can move St. Clair back to LG. It's too early to cut Metcalf but he seems headed in that direction.

Really, I think we are not a very smart football team. Talented, but dumb. The coaches and players are constantly saying something semi retarded. Fot Turner to come out and say anything developmental at this point is saying Metcalf can't develop, just my opinion. Couple that with Drakes comments last week and Lovies comments that, "we don't play injured pplayers." I'm thinking Angelo is the only part of the team with any savvy.