Grossman vs. Orton

CubbiesFan07

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak8S...ype=team_report

Inside Slant

For the first time in five years, quarterback Rex Grossman isn’t No. 1 on the Bears’ depth chart. He and Kyle Orton are alternating practice days running the first-team offense, and the competition is expected to extend into the preseason.

Grossman is coming off an inconsistent 2007 season when he was benched early for poor play but performed better when given a second chance, although not well enough to be given the starting job.

“I think I have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder striving to prove myself in this league and get myself over that hump to become a great quarterback in this league consistently,” said Grossman, who has often mixed exceptional and horrendous games throughout his first five seasons. “I’m working as hard as I can to get there. There’s a lot in front of me, but I feel I can handle everything that’s thrown at me.”

ADVERTISEMENT

There has already been unsubstantiated speculation in both directions that the Bears are leaning toward one quarterback over the other, but Grossman is focusing on what he can control.

“It is what it is,” he said of the competition. “I’m doing my job and not commenting on anything else. I’m really just focused on me getting better.”

Both quarterbacks are working with a wide receiver unit in transition. Veteran free agents Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd were added earlier in the offseason, and rookie Earl Bennett was drafted in the third round. All three could be major players in a revamped offense, which means both quarterbacks have a lot of on-the-field relationships to work on between now and the season opener. Having to split practice reps could slow the development of that rapport.

“I don’t really know yet,” Grossman said. “But I have plenty of time. If I feel like I don’t have enough reps with somebody, I bring them out here when we’re not practicing and we go through stuff. But I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.”

Grossman re-signed with the Bears in the offseason rather than opting for a fresh start elsewhere, mainly because of his familiarity with the organization. But he’s playing under a one-year contract, increasing the pressure on him to perform this year, which could determine in which direction his career heads.

“I think anybody going into their last year of their contract or signing a one-year deal it’s added pressure on them to have a good season,” he said. “And I’m excited about the opportunities if that were the case. Who knows what’s going to happen? I’ve got one thing in mind: that’s having a good season this year.”

Is this going to be like the Falcons of last year, switching QB's every other week? Or are we going to finally get down to business and designate a final starting QB.

I thought signing Grossman in the offseason was a sign of him becoming the starter again this season. I hope that sometime soon we'll find out which one we're going with.

(P.S. Grossman #8 --- McNown #8) I hope the number is given away with future QB draft picks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak8S...ype=team_report

Is this going to be like the Falcons of last year, switching QB's every other week? Or are we going to finally get down to business and designate a final starting QB.

I thought signing Grossman in the offseason was a sign of him becoming the starter again this season. I hope that sometime soon we'll find out which one we're going with.

(P.S. Grossman #8 --- McNown #8) I hope the number is given away with future QB draft picks.

If they are actually having a QB competition, it is way to early to name a starter. They should already know who they want after mini-camps and ota's?

You need to at least wait until you are into training camp. Maybe in training camp you can designate a #1, but even then I would imagine they will gave both guys shots with the #1 offenses and against #1 defenses in preseason.

Unless one of them really sucks in training camp, I don't think we'll know who the starter is until after a couple preseason games.

I'd say that about sums it up.

But I think the "winner" of the job will be Grossman... He has nude pictures of the coaching staff hidden away somewhere.

You give the winner of the job 3 weeks to keep the job. If he sucks, switch them. If the replacement sucks after 3 weeks, we are pretty much hosed right up the ass then.