Jones wants to play 4 us!

Wesson44

Bears | K. Jones offers services to team

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:23:57 -0700

Vaughn McClure, of the Chicago Tribune, reports free-agent RB Kevin Jones' (Lions) agent, Blake Baratz, called the Chicago Bears shortly after free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) was arrested for the second time in five weeks. The feedback Jones received through his agent is that the Bears like his ability, but they are in no rush to make a decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i will take my girl on shopping spree all weekend, if we sign him up. when i lived back east, i watched him play alot. When healthy, he's the best guy on the field. Normally im very cautious of injury prone guys, but he is worth it. if healthy, he's a force and will be nice combo with Forte.

Bears | K. Jones offers services to team

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:23:57 -0700

Vaughn McClure, of the Chicago Tribune, reports free-agent RB Kevin Jones' (Lions) agent, Blake Baratz, called the Chicago Bears shortly after free-agent RB Cedric Benson (Bears) was arrested for the second time in five weeks. The feedback Jones received through his agent is that the Bears like his ability, but they are in no rush to make a decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he is going to be ready to compete for a job by training camp, I'd bring him in. He would be legit competition for Forte. I like the idea of having someone to push him and we don't have that person now. I'd like to have more than one every down back with the potential to be above average on our roster.

The key is his health. Of all the veteran free agent rb's out there, I think he has the most potential.

I think depth wise we should either sign KJ or Lecharles B., whichever is the cheapest. I don't see us signing both because for some reason we can only sign T harris, B urlacher, and D Hester to large contracts whereas the raiders (their spending this offseason has been absolutley ridiculous I just don't get it) and so many other teams like indy(r.wayne,m.harrison,p.manning,d.freeney,bsanders just to name a few) can sign numersous multi-million dollar contracts but that's beside the point. So the question is what do we need more? KJ if healthy and w/a well structured contract could be a steal and make a great 1-2 punch that may keep teams from playing 8 in the box (lets face it every team in the leagues going to do this against a rookie). Yet there's the LB proposition, honestly do you guys think letting metcalf be the starting guard is a good idea? If I'm a def. coor I send the LBer straight through that glaring whole (met. and rookie) So who do you try for???? I say KJ, for these reasons:

1. He's calling us!!! He wants to come here and may be playing with a chip on his shoulder to not only prove to the lions they screwed up, but all of the teams who haven't made a legit run at him. (not to mention reports are he's making some good cuts on the vids he sent to all the teams.

2. When healthy he's a game changer, capable of breaking off large runs.

3. He's totally different from benson and leads me to believe that turner could not possibly be so transparent when he's on the field whereas whenever benson was out there it appeared like we'd run it. (let's face it he telegraphed the play to the other team by putting peterson in on most, not all , but most pass plays.)

4. Bentley would be a good pick-up if healthy and cheap, but at the same time we can also move st. clair in the LG spot and not see too much falloff.

5. Bentley's injury was career threatening, and stated he's about 75%, whereas KJ's saying he's good to go.

6. The team stated anymore this league requires two good running backs, and while I like AP, he doesn't have game changing speed, sure he works his butt off, but he isn't a rb that makes teams think twice about stacking the box against him.

7. KJ's reportedly seeking just above vet min, so I think if we made up for what he gets by taking the minimum by putting a lot into incentives much like we did with brown this year he may take it and if injured we protect ourselves. Everyone is argueing about how KJ wants to be the "man" and we drafted forte and that would not make sense. When was the last time we did that? Is comp supposed to be a bad thing??? I think it worked out pretty darn good for us in '06 and this combo has the pot. to be better.

To me, Kevin Jones is very similar to Cedric Benson without the off field issues. They both have injury problems, they were both high draft picks who did a nice job in the first season but couldnt handle it when they were " the guys". But since he doesn't have the off field problems that Cedric has, it doesn't hurt taking a chance on him, bring him in JA.

To me, Kevin Jones is very similar to Cedric Benson without the off field issues. They both have injury problems, they were both high draft picks who did a nice job in the first season but couldnt handle it when they were " the guys". But since he doesn't have the off field problems that Cedric has, it doesn't hurt taking a chance on him, bring him in JA.

They are similar only in that they have been disappointing. On the field they are pretty different. Jones has elite speed, can run inside and out, and can break tackles. His lack of performance issues have mainly been injury related.

We probably should combine these threads.

They are similar only in that they have been disappointing. On the field they are pretty different. Jones has elite speed, can run inside and out, and can break tackles. His lack of performance issues have mainly been injury related.

We probably should combine these threads.

Yeah, I agree Jones is more similar to TJ than he is to cedric. He has higher top-end speed than TJ though and more wiggle than Benson. If I were to compare KJ to anyone it would be more like curtis martin in his prime except for the whole injury issue. KJ didn't get cut from det cause he couldn't handle being the Man , but more so that he just kept getting fluke injuries. Who know's maybe the worst of it is by him, just like hopefully with brown this year. Like I said if his contract is structured correcty with like brown's there would be no risk in signing him. Only reward if he does good. I think he's a better vet min sign than what B. Llyod was, and may just be enough to keep teams off balance with their constant blitzing of rex or kyle.

Then we'd be fine, as Jones wouldn't be "the guy" here, either, as he'll have Forte and Wolfe, too.