Starting from scratch

Grouchy Bear

Unfortunately on offense we are starting from scratch. One could say we are rebuilding on offense with alot more question marks now then last season. I love our picks and the deleting the garbage from least year.

But whos at left guard, is still wide open ( metcalf......please! ) Reed and Tyler are in the mix hopefully one of them will out outright take the job by good play and not by who least sux. RB seems there might be a light at this tunnel but again lets make that light brighter by bringing in kevin Jones who has something to prove. While I like Peterson and Wolfe I still want somebody who can take it to the house on all 3 downs. This keeps defenses honest.

Wr is a hope and a prayer, do we have anybody who can consistantly go deep or go over the middle and catch the ball and stay healthy all season ? We have one or the other, but not the "one WR" who can do it all. Next year sign big time FA.

Qb I can't even talk about it because it's hurts! Just maybe the plan is to build an offense so that if some special FA QB comes free next year he'll look at the Bear offense say I can work with this especially with a new O.C. ans some FA help at WR.

Guest TerraTor

I couldnt agree more. our offense is a total wreck. Its almost a shame to put on the field. I feel bad for Olsen and Forte especially, not to mention the defense of course. I know this isnt Madden 08 but we seriously need to sign help. Bentley is an instant starter at LG and seriously we need to pull something for a reciever..

name='TerraTor' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:32 PM' post='40622']

I couldnt agree more. our offense is a total wreck. Its almost a shame to put on the field. I feel bad for Olsen and Forte especially, not to mention the defense of course. I know this isnt Madden 08 but we seriously need to sign help. Bentley is an instant starter at LG and seriously we need to pull something for a reciever...

Our offense is going to be a work in progress. Just pray the OL is better and the rest will follow. Unless Forte sucks,if so, we are hosed. I will be skeptical until kool-aid fairy drops a few gallons.

The only improvment we have on offense this year compared to this year is the OL ( hopefully), and i suppose tight end just because Olsen will have another year of experience. Besides that, we are in trouble on the offensive side of the ball...

If the O-Line is genuinely improved and solid...the Bears will not be in trouble on that side of the ball. They won't be the Patriots, but they don't need to be. A solid O-Line can make everyone better.

Bentley has been injured the past two seasons with ZERO games played. How do you know he's an instant starter? Just because Ruben Brown played for us with one arm and Metcalf played for us with one hand, doesn't mean Bentley can play for us with one leg. :) He might be able to play but the lack of interest in him indicates how serious his injuries were. How much damage was done in the surgeries to cure his staph infection? Three surgeries to cure an infection, as far as I know that's only done to remove infected tissue. I'm not ruling him out as a possibility but we must be realistic in knowing he's not the same player that he was two years ago.

I agree that if the OL is improved, all aspects of the game too would improve. My question is, how much is the OL improved. No argument we upgraded at RT, but I wonder if we (short term) downgraded at LT. I know Tait was far from great last year, but at the same time, not many rookies step in and play well at LT. Most take time to develop. Then there is LG. Last year, I remember when Metcalf came in for Brown, and everyone was saying we could only improve, but that wasn't the case. So while we may be better on the right side, we may not have improved on the left, and may have even downgraded. Again, that is short term, but if we are talking about how we will be this year, short term is what we are talking about.

One final point. IMHO, possibly more than any other unit, the OL is a group where players need time to form chemistry, and w/o that chemistry, players do not often look good.

I have hope for our OL in the future, but I question how long before that real improvement is seen, as I think the rookie is the key, and simply feel he will take time.