Kevin Jones

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

Does that mean he'd be unavailable for the first 6 games or whatever?

Jones said he could start training camp next week on the physically unable to perform list, which would limit him to individual drills away from the team. But as long as Jones is on the active/physically unable to perform list, he could return to practice after passing a physical, according to team sources.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....n-makes-pi.html

I believe you can stay on the PUP list for a maximum of 6 six weeks but can return earlier than that. Given the knee injury I don't see Jones doing much for us until Oct. I think the Bears will let him sit until then and then work him in slowly. In the meantime we'll see AP getting those reps.

IMHO this is just added recovery time if he needs it. He had a work out for the teams in June so he could run and cut. Now how strong is his knee is the question and they are just protecting him. Running and cutting is different than getting hit, pulled and twisted.

Realistically I think you hope Jones is ready to take a few snaps by the final pre-season game and is back to being able to contribute 10-15 carries by Week 4 of the season. Than by Week 8, maybe he's ready to go as high as 20 carries for the time being.

I'm not sure KJ ever turns into a guy who can carry the rock 20 times a game. In his career he's done it 11 times. Now, the Lions have sucked for most of that time (if not all of it) but he's constantly been banged up too. So, I'd say, given the 1 year deal for minimal money, the Bears are looking to have him, at best, share the load with Forte and AP. This probably means, when Jones is up to full strength, Forte 15 to 20, Jones 10 to 15 and AP for the rest.

I believe you can stay on the PUP list for a maximum of 6 six weeks but can return earlier than that. Given the knee injury I don't see Jones doing much for us until Oct. I think the Bears will let him sit until then and then work him in slowly. In the meantime we'll see AP getting those reps.

There are 2 phases to the PUP list. The preseason and regular season.

A player on the preseason PUP list can return at any time. If a player stays on the PUP list all the way through to the regular season, they are eligible for the regular season PUP list - but they have to have been on it throughout the entire preseason. Once a player is put on the regular season PUP list, they can't return until after week 6 - at which point the team gets a roster exemption for up to 3 weeks at which point they have to, put the player on the 53 man roster, IR the guy, or release them.

I don't think Jones will last the entire preseason on the PUP list so we might as well count on him being on the 53 man roster at the beginning of the season.

I'm not sure KJ ever turns into a guy who can carry the rock 20 times a game. In his career he's done it 11 times. Now, the Lions have sucked for most of that time (if not all of it) but he's constantly been banged up too. So, I'd say, given the 1 year deal for minimal money, the Bears are looking to have him, at best, share the load with Forte and AP. This probably means, when Jones is up to full strength, Forte 15 to 20, Jones 10 to 15 and AP for the rest.

That's the distribution I'm hoping for (except that I'm hoping Wolfe gets a few).