Some contract Details

Connorbear

15 million guarenteed. Escalators up to possible 40 million.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,6565176.story

Peace :dabears

Great news, Hester sounds like a genuine good guy. He says he no longer has to worry about taking care of his Mom and that was his biggest concern.

The Bears and Hester did a good job. They got him to show up to camp to dissolve the distraction. He didn't take a fine since he was there, got to be around his teamates, and got to work out his contract face to face. Once the contract was hammered out, his hamstring injury disappeared and he was on the field flying around.

OC Turner has said that Hester was giving the whole offense to learn this offseason and that Hester has learned it and is not going to be held back because of lack of knowledge.

Hester feels ready to be involved with the whole offense and not just a gimmick play or a few plays here or there. Lets hope this is not just a bunch of coach talk.

15 million guarenteed. Escalators up to possible 40 million.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,6565176.story

Peace :dabears

A high risk / high reward contract.

IF he continues to make the same impact on special teams as he has over the first 2 years AND becomes an effective #2 or #3 WR, it is worth the money.

IF he becomes an elite #1 WR, even if his impact on special teams slides, it is worth the money.

IF he becomes an elite #1 WR AND continues to impact the game on STs as he has, it is a bargain!

Any other scenario I can think of he wins big time and the Bears were suckers and overpaid him.

I pray one of the first 3 scenarios take place!

Hester becomes the 10th Bears starter and fifth Pro Bowl player the Bears have signed to a contract extension this off-season.

Hester is only the seventh player in NFL history to have his contract extended with two years left on his rookie deal. He also becomes the 22nd Bears player on the roster to have received a contract extension from the team, keeping the Bears ahead of the curve in that category around the league.

This part of the article makes me happy about the job Jerry Angelo is doing. When you stop and think about it he's got the core of this team signed long term. That's how you build continuity and that leads to success. I have a feeling that now that all the business deals are done and all that's left now is to get out there and play football. The team collectively should have a chip on their shoulder from the way last season went down and should be focused on bouncing back and showing are better than last season's dreadful 7-9 disappointment.

GO BEARS!!!

BEAR DOWN!!!

IF he continues to make the same impact on special teams as he has over the first 2 years AND becomes an effective #2 or #3 WR, it is worth the money.

IF he becomes an elite #1 WR, even if his impact on special teams slides, it is worth the money.

IF he becomes an elite #1 WR AND continues to impact the game on STs as he has, it is a bargain!

Any other scenario I can think of he wins big time and the Bears were suckers and overpaid him.

I would put my money on the first scenario. I've yet to see enough from him to think of his a #1 let alone an elite #1. The league is full of dam fine #1 receivers and to consider him in the elite category at WR to me is still a stretch even for wishful thinking. I do however think he can make an impact and be a very good #2 or #3 WR. It takes guys who played the position in High School and College a few years to come into their own in the NFL Hester's first taste of WR came last year in spot duty. I just don't see him all of a sudden being one of the best in the business at a position that he's transitioning into. But if I'm wrong no humble pie would taste better.

I would put my money on the first scenario. I've yet to see enough from him to think of his a #1 let alone an elite #1. The league is full of dam fine #1 receivers and to consider him in the elite category at WR to me is still a stretch even for wishful thinking. I do however think he can make an impact and be a very good #2 or #3 WR. It takes guys who played the position in High School and College a few years to come into their own in the NFL Hester's first taste of WR came last year in spot duty. I just don't see him all of a sudden being one of the best in the business at a position that he's transitioning into. But if I'm wrong no humble pie would taste better.

One good thing the Bears do have going for them...Hester now has what, $25 million or so worth of motivation, in those escalator clauses, to become a solid and hopefully top of the line WR?

One good thing the Bears do have going for them...Hester now has what, $25 million or so worth of motivation, in those escalator clauses, to become a solid and hopefully top of the line WR?

I agree. How many times do we see a player sign a big contract and disappear until the last year of the contract when they are again playing for a big pay day? This gives him some excellent incentives to work his butt off.

I wonder how many other contracts we have written like this? The reason I ask is that in an article on the Sun-Times site it mentioned a similar clause in Tommie Harris' contract that I was unaware of until now. He has to be voted to 4 straight Pro Bowls and play 74% of the defensive snaps in each of those four seasons to get an extra $8 million in his last year as a roster bonus.

And so much for the critics saying we are cheap. In the article it mentions we have spent $185.39 Million with $59.2 Million Guaranteed on 10 contracts with veterans in this past off season.

Article on Hester's Contract with a lot of great details

IMO, if he just continues to average 6 TD's a year on special teams & give us great field position I think he's worth the money. As fans it's important to appreciate exactly what Hester does.

I remember in 2005 when Vasher ran back the missed field goal vs. the 49ers. To me that was the most unbelievable thing I'd seen from a Bear's team since 2001, when we tied the game versus the 49ers on a last second desperation pass to Raymont Harris, & then Mike Brown intercepted a pass and ran it in for a touchdown.

Prior to 2001 I'd have to go back 10 years to think of something truly unbelievable & memorable. (All I can think of is Tom Waddle on Monday Night Football.)

With Hester we're treated to just unbievable, "I've never seen that before" moments on a fairly regular basis. The NFL has never seen anything like him.

Like I said, it's important as hell to appreciate exactly what Hester does and remember that 29 other teams would kill to have a guy who can do what he does.