Could Williams play inside at LG?

nfoligno

I believe most all would agree, LT is the most difficult position on the OL. It is hard enough for a rookie to start at LT, and w/ each missed practice, Wiliams chances might drop a bit more. Further, we are reading how St. Clair is "supposedly" looking pretty good at LT.

I wonder if there is a chance Williams is moved inside for the season. If he can't beat out St. Clair at LT, I have a hard time seeing him sitting on the bench. Lovie doesn't talk like he will simply start Williams, regardless how he looks, though we all know better than to take Lovie at his word. Still, I wonder if a move inside isn't possible. Many other 1st round OTs were initially moved inside. Gallery stuggled at LT, but did well inside once moved. Ditto Leanord Davis.

This may be a way to get him on the field, begin his development into the NFL, w/o putting him at a position he is not ready for. Also, I wonder if working next to Kreutz wouldn't help the kid's development, more than working on the outside next to only St. Clair.

Very interesting idea. And while I don't have anywhere near enough information to offer an actual answer...

Everything I've read says he's a quick athletic finesse pass protecting type who doesn't run block that well. I think that doesn't sound much like a running team's LG, but again, what do I know about it? Nothing.

I believe most all would agree, LT is the most difficult position on the OL. It is hard enough for a rookie to start at LT, and w/ each missed practice, Wiliams chances might drop a bit more. Further, we are reading how St. Clair is "supposedly" looking pretty good at LT.

I wonder if there is a chance Williams is moved inside for the season. If he can't beat out St. Clair at LT, I have a hard time seeing him sitting on the bench. Lovie doesn't talk like he will simply start Williams, regardless how he looks, though we all know better than to take Lovie at his word. Still, I wonder if a move inside isn't possible. Many other 1st round OTs were initially moved inside. Gallery stuggled at LT, but did well inside once moved. Ditto Leanord Davis.

This may be a way to get him on the field, begin his development into the NFL, w/o putting him at a position he is not ready for. Also, I wonder if working next to Kreutz wouldn't help the kid's development, more than working on the outside next to only St. Clair.

He is way to finesse, Guards are usually maulers. Williams is going to be good LT he should get all his reps there not be moved around.

Here is NFL.com's scouting report analysis on him,

Compares To: D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON-New York Jets...Like Ferguson, Williams relies on finesse moves and his long reach over power. Both need to improve their overall strength and add bulk to handle the demanding task of playing left tackle. Williams might be a better fit at guard early in his career, so as not to expose him against speedy edge rushers. He can mirror the quicker defender in the short area, but he is marginal taking on second-level defenders and needs to improve taking proper angles when working in space. He has the frame to get bigger, but needs to play with more tenacity. He is a smart student, but will miss a few assignments due to mental lapses. With just adequate hip snap, he would be a liability starting at left tackle as a rookie, but he has the makeup, size and desire to improve.

He actually did play LG early on in college. He started at LG most of 2005, before their LT went down to injury and Williams took his spot (for good).

Not all OGs are maulers. There are actually plenty of inside OL who use angles and leverage to make their blocks, rather than simply trying to overpower their opponent.

As I said, it may be far too early to talk about this, but:

(a) LT is the most difficult spot for a rookie to begin his career (on the OL) as it is.

(B) The above is made only that much more difficult when not paired w/ a solid veteran OG.

© While his injury is minor, is has kept him out of camp thus far, and w/ each missed practice, his development suffers.

(d) As I mentioned, it is not uncommon for a rookie OT to play inside for a year or so while adjusting to the NFL, then to move back outside. This transition is easier than one from college LT to NFL LT.

(e) If he does continue to miss practices, and isn't ready to start at LT, can anyone imagine our sitting Williams on the bench? Would he not be an upgrade to Metcalf?

That's one helluva an idea. So why didn't we think of it 3 months ago?

First off, when we drafted Williams, Love or JA said they like to keep guys at there natural positions. He's a LT so he'll play LT, one of them said.

Since then we've heard how Williams has been studying/learning/practicing to be a LT. Do you really want to move him 1 week into training camp when he's hurt?

The kicker is, the situation is progressing great in theory: The back-up, St. Clair, has stepped it up a notch due to the competition. Meanwhile, his rookie replacement is hurt & not ready. That's EXACTLY what you want to see on your football team.

Except the back-up is also our best LG and also our back-up RT.

More importantly, if we we Williams to LG, does St. Clair become the back-up RT, and Williams the back-up LT??? UGH!!!

The easy solution is to find a competent guard who's better then Metcalf. Have the Bears EVER said "See you!" to a player the way we did Ruben Brown, only to sign him back 6 months later?

name='nfoligno' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:49 PM' post='42381']

Yes. If you draft a LT and he can't play LOG, you have majorly screwed the pooch. That's why I was do adamant about drafting two OT's, as you can usually convert them to OG if they need help.(It makes them more of a sure thing) Tackles usually have the premier talent.(That's why they make the big bucks) That's also why Albert rose so high in the draft, because he was rumored to have LOT skills.