NFL Replay

jason

After watching only the first quarter in the NFL replay, one thing became abundantly clear:

Rex Grossman is scared.

Even though he was facing heat the entire first quarter, Rex Grossman was throwing like he had a gun pointed at him. Timid movements, bad mechanics, late reads, and unsure throws combined to make him look rough. With or without pressure, an NFL QB needs to be more pocket aware, needs to understand when a sack is better than a lame duck pass, and what to do to avoid either the sack or the intentional grounding.

There is absolutely no mystery why Kyle Orton was named the starter.

name='jason' date='Aug 20 2008, 11:48 PM' post='44597']

Spot on. This was also apparrent during the SB season and last year. Thus the bad mechanics. Some QB's can get hit in the mouth and want to cram it down your throat. Some QB's get hit in the mouth and learn to avoid it. Rex is the latter. When you are facing blitz after blitz, you can NOT piss down your leg at the line of scrimmage. You have to see the HOT read, take your lumps and burn the defense. That's his own undoing. That's why teams blitz Orton less?

Gotta agree. I am been ripping Rex, so this will likely be taken as bias, but I am watching the game now (I taped it) and thus far, Rex has not looked good. We can talk about the OL, but when the defense sends 7, and you have 6 blocking, a guy is open.

Also, even though they are blitzing heavy, most all the passes I have seen thus far have been to covered receivers, or even double covered.

Also have to question those who ripped Tait and said St. Clair was looking okay. St. Clair is getting abused.

After watching only the first quarter in the NFL replay, one thing became abundantly clear:

Rex Grossman is scared.

Even though he was facing heat the entire first quarter, Rex Grossman was throwing like he had a gun pointed at him. Timid movements, bad mechanics, late reads, and unsure throws combined to make him look rough. With or without pressure, an NFL QB needs to be more pocket aware, needs to understand when a sack is better than a lame duck pass, and what to do to avoid either the sack or the intentional grounding.