Good news for the BEARS???????

Wesson44

On a clear afternoon during training camp in early August, Howard Mudd talked of storm clouds and the need to prepare for them.

Well, stormy times are here for Mudd's injury-depleted offensive line. And it's especially ominous considering the group is charged with protecting quarterback Peyton Manning, who's dealing with injury problems of his own.

Manning is expected to start Sept. 7 when the Indianapolis Colts open against the Chicago Bears, but he might need a bit of time to regain full mobility after knee surgery kept him out of all the preseason games. And the composition of the group in front of him is anyone's guess.

Ligament damage to his right knee is expected to sideline center Jeff Saturday perhaps for the first six weeks of the season, or longer if he opts for surgery. After talking to the three-time Pro Bowl player on Friday, coach Tony Dungy said, "I think he's leaning against having the surgery, but we're still evaluating that."

Meanwhile, starting left guard Ryan Lilja has yet to practice after having offseason knee surgery and rookie guard Mike Pollak missed the final two preseason games with an injured right knee.

What to do? Plan ahead by using the offseason conditioning program and preseason to prepare for precisely this type of situation.

"There are always going to be what I call (expletive) storms," said Mudd, the longtime offensive line coach. "There can be problems and I would rather have faced them before we get them than wait until we get them, then try to get through them.

"We make the best out of what's out there. So, let's practice it."

In Muddspeak, that means mixing and matching, getting everyone ready to play basically anywhere. During preseason games he changes personnel grouping so frequently, sometimes from series to series, that it's difficult to keep track of who's in and out.

"You want them to be comfortable in that crisis," Mudd said.

Manning began spending extra time in practice earlier this week with rookie Jamey Richard as his center, and said "I think Jamey is going to be the guy."

But nothing's certain. It might be rookie Steve Justice, or veteran Charlie Johnson, the offensive line's interchangeable part. Lilja would be the most enticing option, at least on a short-term basis, but first he has to be cleared to practice.

"I don't want to say I don't worry about it, (that) I discount what Jeff has done," Dungy said. "But we've got a number of guys who can play that position and we'll be fine.

"Someone will emerge. Howard will figure out what's going to be best. It may not be who's the best center, but what's best for the whole group."

The only givens are Tony Ugoh at left tackle and Ryan Diem at right tackle. Then, Mudd will stick with his "best five guys" approach. That could be Johnson at left guard, Richard at center and Pollak at right guard, if he returns to practice next week. If Pollak is out, Dan Federkeil could be next in line.

Anthony Munoz, the Cincinnati Bengals' Hall of Fame offensive tackle, predicted some adjustments will be required whichever avenue the Colts take.

"Twenty-five years ago they said you just put another guy in there," Munoz said. "But it's not as easy as a lot of people think. Now people understand the importance of continuity, especially when you have a guy like Jeff Saturday, who's so accomplished."

Saturday made all of the pre-snap adjustments for the line, and his replacement must do likewise.

"You'll just have to have more communication between everybody," Munoz said of the possibility of a rookie starting. "Other guys will have to help out, guys who have been in the system."

On a clear afternoon during training camp in early August, Howard Mudd talked of storm clouds and the need to prepare for them.

Well, stormy times are here for Mudd's injury-depleted offensive line. And it's especially ominous considering the group is charged with protecting quarterback Peyton Manning, who's dealing with injury problems of his own.

Manning is expected to start Sept. 7 when the Indianapolis Colts open against the Chicago Bears, but he might need a bit of time to regain full mobility after knee surgery kept him out of all the preseason games. And the composition of the group in front of him is anyone's guess.

Ligament damage to his right knee is expected to sideline center Jeff Saturday perhaps for the first six weeks of the season, or longer if he opts for surgery. After talking to the three-time Pro Bowl player on Friday, coach Tony Dungy said, "I think he's leaning against having the surgery, but we're still evaluating that."

Meanwhile, starting left guard Ryan Lilja has yet to practice after having offseason knee surgery and rookie guard Mike Pollak missed the final two preseason games with an injured right knee.

What to do? Plan ahead by using the offseason conditioning program and preseason to prepare for precisely this type of situation.

"There are always going to be what I call (expletive) storms," said Mudd, the longtime offensive line coach. "There can be problems and I would rather have faced them before we get them than wait until we get them, then try to get through them.

"We make the best out of what's out there. So, let's practice it."

In Muddspeak, that means mixing and matching, getting everyone ready to play basically anywhere. During preseason games he changes personnel grouping so frequently, sometimes from series to series, that it's difficult to keep track of who's in and out.

"You want them to be comfortable in that crisis," Mudd said.

Manning began spending extra time in practice earlier this week with rookie Jamey Richard as his center, and said "I think Jamey is going to be the guy."

But nothing's certain. It might be rookie Steve Justice, or veteran Charlie Johnson, the offensive line's interchangeable part. Lilja would be the most enticing option, at least on a short-term basis, but first he has to be cleared to practice.

"I don't want to say I don't worry about it, (that) I discount what Jeff has done," Dungy said. "But we've got a number of guys who can play that position and we'll be fine.

"Someone will emerge. Howard will figure out what's going to be best. It may not be who's the best center, but what's best for the whole group."

The only givens are Tony Ugoh at left tackle and Ryan Diem at right tackle. Then, Mudd will stick with his "best five guys" approach. That could be Johnson at left guard, Richard at center and Pollak at right guard, if he returns to practice next week. If Pollak is out, Dan Federkeil could be next in line.

Anthony Munoz, the Cincinnati Bengals' Hall of Fame offensive tackle, predicted some adjustments will be required whichever avenue the Colts take.

"Twenty-five years ago they said you just put another guy in there," Munoz said. "But it's not as easy as a lot of people think. Now people understand the importance of continuity, especially when you have a guy like Jeff Saturday, who's so accomplished."

Saturday made all of the pre-snap adjustments for the line, and his replacement must do likewise.

"You'll just have to have more communication between everybody," Munoz said of the possibility of a rookie starting. "Other guys will have to help out, guys who have been in the system."

All this is nothing but a bunch of bullshit. The Bears need to forget about this nonsense and be prepared to play the best football they are capable of. If they do, they can win. If they play anything like they have in preseason, nothing else matters. Appalachian State could beat them.

All this is nothing but a bunch of bullshit. The Bears need to forget about this nonsense and be prepared to play the best football they are capable of. If they do, they can win. If they play anything like they have in preseason, nothing else matters. Appalachian State could beat them.

I agree. Don't worry about the other team. Worry about yourself.

Peace :dabears

Yes I can see what you are saying but we need all the help we can get!!!!

What we need, is our defense to play to their capabilities and this offense to execute a good game plan. All I'm saying is, IF we do that, we can beat Indy. I'm not saying we will but I think we can cause a ton of problems for Manning if we play like we're capable of. Here's something else to think about, nobody really knows what this offense is capable of. You can say what you want about Orton but he came from one of the more prolific passing programs in college football. The thing people dislike about him is that he adapts to his system as opposed to trying to adapt it to himself and that makes him look weaker, more like a game manager or like a journeyman QB. If you don't see that there is a marked improvement and difference in orton this year, you just aren't paying attention. In addition, our running game improved by launching Benson. We added forte and Jones which makes us immediately better than we were and more comparable to 2005 and 2006 with T Jones. Keep talking about the no talent receiving corps we have but don't forget. If hester can do what everyone thinks he can, he's gonna be very dangerous, Lloyd has looked very good and has given us the view of him that made him a high draft pick coming out of college, Davis is not only a very good WR, he can play the slot or wide. Our TEs will be one of the better TE groups in the league.

To sum it up, IF we play to our potential, we are certainly very capable of beating Indy.We don't need our guys thinking just because Indy has injuries, and, by the way, Dungy won't let Indy's play suffer because of a few injuries. Our guys need to go out and expect to play against one of the best O and D lines in the game. If they slip a little, fine but don't prepare for a slip and be totally taken aback when there isn't one.

Now, with all this good news, the bad is, it's up to Lovie and company to get these guys ready. This is the one of the biggest games they will play. It will set the tone for what happens the rest of the season. A top notch performance by everyone is mandatory.

BigD,

You forgot the Super Bowl Revenge factor -- even though that was 2 yrs ago now! They need to go into INDY and pound them.

I agree that if the OL can hold up then there is nothing wrong with having a blue collard type offense (no stars) but guys hungry and not afraid of working hard to get the job done. This years O will be better than last years team probaby. I really like our TE threat especially in the RZ -- Olens, Davis and Clark could creat some advantages mismatches.

Our number one goal needs to get first downs and move the chains, keep the D fresh and not to leave points on the field. I am a sox fan and it frustrates me with there boom or bust offense which seems to live and die by the long ball. The Bears can not afford to do this as the 3-in-and-outs over the last few seasons has really started to take is toll on the health and play of out top 5 D potential unit.

BigD,

You forgot the Super Bowl Revenge factor -- even though that was 2 yrs ago now! They need to go into INDY and pound them.

I agree that if the OL can hold up then there is nothing wrong with having a blue collard type offense (no stars) but guys hungry and not afraid of working hard to get the job done. This years O will be better than last years team probaby. I really like our TE threat especially in the RZ -- Olens, Davis and Clark could creat some advantages mismatches.

Our number one goal needs to get first downs and move the chains, keep the D fresh and not to leave points on the field. I am a sox fan and it frustrates me with there boom or bust offense which seems to live and die by the long ball. The Bears can not afford to do this as the 3-in-and-outs over the last few seasons has really started to take is toll on the health and play of out top 5 D potential unit.

Agreed. Hey, my expectations for this team are playoffs. Anything less and Lovie should be fired. No excuses.